Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Needs to be stripped and maybe folded up a bit to give a larger contact point since some of these wires are real small.

So, anyone can tell me if USB cables have any secret yo be made? I got the connectors and soldered according to pinout schematics I found around. Tested it with a multimeter and all the pins were connected respectively on both type a and type B sides. For some reason, it didn’ t work (windows said the USB device had malfunctioned and PS4 just ignored the stick.

I DIDN’T use a shielded cable, so there was no shielding but I don’t think that would change that much, specially on a very tiny cable (12 inches). Is there any secret that I didn’t see on the pinnouts? Am I suppose to invert something on one of the sides like network cables? Thanks for any help!

Yes, and as the gentleman below you said, strip and fold if possible.

What did you solder onto what? Pics?

Anyone know how to get the TE 1 PS3 PCBs working on a PC? Just got a friend his first stick and it turns out it doesn’t work, it shows us as “PC USB Wired Stick 8838” and shows no input. I’ve tried all the programs like DS3, betterDS3, and xbox360ce. Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Different ways to go about it, but I would replace the pcb. Cheapest option is the Zero Delay encoder (generic direct input pcb), there are also more expensive boards with additional functionality.

I got one of those, the problem is finding a way to mount it in the brawlstick. would that require some kind of drill or dremel, is there a less power tool-y way to do it?

I used many layers of mounting tape. Not sure if thats the best solution tho

Pretty much anything you can think of to secure it would work, even down to double sided tape.

God, I just made two whole posts on the topic one page back, the 2nd post list all the options known.

Easiest is Zip ties and Wire anchors, the worst option is to glue the board into place.

Hot glue ftw

This is @DanAdamKOF 's Photo BTW

If I get another PCB that looks like this, I am blaming you.

Is there a certain kind of bit that works best for cutting button and joystick holes in plexi?

Does anyone know how to force a ChIMP to activate the secondary (xbox 360 in this case) PCB on a PC? Can’t find it in the doc.

Nevermind, found it here The official Cthulhu and ChImp thread - Try our new Dreamcast flavor!

Q: I want to use the Xbox360 mode on a PC.
A: If you hold down the Short, Strong, and Roundhouse buttons (1K, 2P, 3K) when plugging it in, it will skip the autodetection and go straight to Xbox360 mode.

That’s from a hitbox, not my fault.

Hey, this might sound like a stupid question but I’ve wondering about this for a while. Would HAPP or IL buttons and a joystick fit in a Hori RAP 4 Kai? I couldn’t find any info on this (my google-fu isn’t that strong) and I prefer the American style parts, but I don’t think it’s worth buying a whole new stick. Also if they don’t fit is there a way to mod it so they will?

I am trying to restore my Qanba QRAF4 stick. I have all the pieces and components except one small piece. There is a 5-pin white plastic connector that the PCB-side of the 5 wires coming from the joystick assembly are supposed to be attached to.

When I botched my last soldering job, I cut these wires out of the old connector, which I have since lost. I have everything hooked back up to the Original factory PCB, except for the joystick. What is the best way to reattach these wires? What is this type of plastic connector called, and where can I buy another one?

The stick you have uses standard 30mm buttons. I don’t know much about American buttons, but if they are 30mm (or the imperial equivalent) in diameter, then go for it

The holes are the same size but the problem you may run into is the height of the buttons. American style buttons are a lot taller than the Japanese buttons. They should work in a larger stick like the VLX but the Kai may be too short.

If were speaking about the old Hrap 1, 3, 4 or EX yes, if were talking the VLX (any VLX) yes, all those Hori sticks has the clearance space.
Hori RAP 4 Kai, it be a tight fit. I seen Happ buttons been fitted into a Mad Catz TE before but ti requires alot of modding of the stick and the buttons.