Adon Strategy and Match-up Thread

With Adons wonky timed links, I don’t think I’ll ever master some of his bread and butters.

Yea ya can. It’s all about that practice mode.

Good news! Most of his BnBs are all jabs

Here’s a simple little setup that I’ve been having surprisingly good fortune with:

Charge a Focus attack just barely to level 2, release, backdash. If it is blocked, you’ve put a bit of distance between you and their likely retaliation, giving you the opportunity to frequently punish their attempted counter. If it connects, the crumple is slow enough that you have time to comfortably land an EX Tooth, and usually follow it up with a close standing roundhouse for not-too-shabby damage. Where this really shines is when your opponent has his back to the corner,* up to approximately 1/4 of the map away from it* (a surprisingly generous distance), where they will be pushed back to the point where you can juggle into Avalanche. Obviously, corner EX tooth into Ultra is nothing new (and doubly obviously, neither is crumple into Ultra), but having a relatively safe way to confirm into it is handy, especially when the method to do so is also a fairly good setup to bait an attempted punish so long as you’re not predictable with it. A word of caution here: You often momentarily cross-up with the EX tooth in this situation, and if you’re doing your Ultra motion during that, it can mess up the direction of your inputs, so you really need to be on point with it. I prefer to wait until after they’re launched past me to do it, for consistency’s sake.

Now here’s where it strolls out to shenanigan town. Even if they block, it is sometimes worthwhile to go for the EX tooth anyway. The blocked FA and backdash provides a pretty good momentum skip to catch them off balance, so If they attempt to punish, or simply look to use the break in your pressure to press for their own momentum, you’ll nail them, and again, possibly juggle into Ultra.

Also, I have had some success with mid-screen EX tooth into Ultra after a focus attack crumple and backdash, but very inconsistent. Sometimes they’ll launch more vertical, in which case I can just barely catch them as they zip away, and sometimes I’ll cross them up far enough to Ultra back the direction I came, and interrupt them before they pass over me. Other than that, they often fly away too far, too fast to catch mid-screen.

Here’s a video of a jaguar kick cross up you can do. Someone find some uses for it…I’m too lazy to do it right now.

[media=youtube]Y5BT-4gyV6Y[/media]

since i didn’t see it talked about heres my two cents. Grouned fierce jag kick beats head stomp and bisons(dictator) other air special usually after you hit them with it twice they stop doing it. Same deal w/ vega(claw) and barcelona attack if you catch him on the begin start up. no combo potential but the move is extremely safe on block so its an effective punish.

Well I was practing against guile via training mode on player used guile, guile combos, and cpu hardest.

JT- Guile can ex flash this out sonic booms as well. EX.JT can go throw a sonic boom I think, But EX.Flash will still kill it
JK- s.hk s.Hp can counter this
RJ - Sonic boom will kill this move, Guiles Jumping away comman kick will kill it as well.

As far as the matchup is concered I think guile will be a worst. Guile seems to have an answer for every thing we can do. However I find the once you knock a Guile down you can get him into a cross up and get into his face. You must make sure that guile cant tech stand to cross him up. Once this is done you’ll have to use J.MK and hit him at his back. Doing this will knock him out of a flash kick but he will recover standing so make sure to use c.Mp-RJ. This matchup is going to be a hard fight.

I haven’t read through the entire thread yet so if this has been mentioned my apologies

we can use neutral jump mk as an IO after a jump in attack then comboed into the air JK which is stated
but neutral hk is also an IO after a jump in and I find it a lot easier to connect with only downside you can’t
combo to the air JK kick
I think this is valuable because the IO air JK combo doesn’t work on the whole cast so on those who it doesn’t
this would be a nice alternative for mix ups

Its a great way to end block strings to for some chip damage and to push the guy toward the corner.

@Xump,

What is an “IO”?

Instant overhead

I tried this against different characters. Usually, on mid-short characters, you can do EX JT > Avalanche mid screen. The catch is, you have to delay the EX JT for a split second after FA2 > backdash. Why is this? Well, by then, most mid-short characters are on their knees, allowing you to cross them up with EX JT, and yielding a much better juggle state than regular EX JT.

Landing Avalanche after this is also a bit tricky. Since you crossed them up momentarily, but they end up in front of you, the correct motion for UC2 would be qcb,qcf+KKK.

If anybody finds a way to do this on large characters, let us know. We need all we can get against grapplers and their reversal SPD shenanigans.

Well…I just tested this on Gief. This is what I did.

FA2>Foward Dash>mk JT> Avalanche…

Worked for me. I’ll make a video of it really quick. I’ll test it on T.Hawk too.

T.Hawk

FA2>Backdash>hk JT (Crossover)>U2

[media=youtube]LRfY10TVYzM[/media]

So, I learned something about the Cody match up after playing Chris Hsu and Emp Kreymore. I also play at ranbats with this guy who has an extremely good 1st week cody. Annnyway

I was doing meaty st. hp on cody’s wake up and that seems to kind of shut him down. I’m not sure, but it is definitely something to look into. It seemed to take him out of all reversal attempts. Sadly, I wasn’t expecting this to work, so I didn’t get the follow up the first few times. lol.

Baited out a few ultras with lk. jag tooth.

6 mp seems to beat out anything you could ever want to do in the air. T_T

St. mk is beautiful to just throw out in this match and I was using cr. lk, cr. lp, cr.mp, st. hk for a block string and snagging the counter hit st. hk a lot. I think this should be an overall strategy against most of the cast. Sometimes interchanging the st. hk with st. mk will snipe them out if they’re jumping away.

I think that jumping is a bad idea in this match and should only be used as meaty after a solid knock down. After a knockdown doing neautral jumping hk. is a really good pressure tool, but don’t over do this. I like meaty j. lk for cross ups in this match, seems to get more results.

cross up j. mk, stationary j. mk xx jk was doing okay and seems to be an overall decent mix up for week one stuff, however I believe once people learn adon the overall usefulness of this will be in void. This actually isn’t even that great! So, don’t misunderstand, I’m not saying it’s solid, just an okay mixup for this earlyin the game. Any opinions?

Has anyone been using ia jk to bait out reversals and throw attempts? It has been working really good for me and I’d like others to test it to let me know what they think. The way I’ve been setting this up is mostly off his backthrow. I don’t know, I just think it is worth looking into

Ive recently found success by abusing adons fast jump, not many players know what to do when i keep spamming his lk crossup, I keep doing it when they block it and then decide to throw at random times, if i think they are gonna try and tech, i do a surprise RJ (very risky), if i think they’ll mash srk, i’ll just stop jumping and block giving me a free hit (or ultra), I know most ppl will catch on pretty quick to this strategy but for now it seems to work, especially on charge characters, its very similar to gen’s jump spam, what do u guys think?

Nice find!

I kinda ditched that setup when I started learning about other stuff like IAJK. The way nj.MK is so range dependent turned me off. And does it actually hit crouchers? Either way, it’s probably good for baiting throws (only problem is crouch-techers).

I want to test this out so badly. Mixups like c.lk, c.lk, throw / c.lk, c.lk IAJK would definitely establish Adon as an offensive powerhouse. Can’t wait to use it at my local tourney this Saturday.

arrrgh

St. hp is still good against cody, but today I was testing it and ex zonk will beat it clean. However, that’s all he has. Also, ia jk destroys the slides, it even trades with the hk version of them.

Doing some other testing with the ia jk. Completely demolishes throws attempts. Very good tool. However, I haven’t been able to get in depth enough with crouch teching. Will update after playing tonight. Hopefully have some match videos up from the other day.

However, eddosan, I do believe that your mixup seems to be all around pretty solid… arrgh more testing tonight O.o

Picture this for the throw punisher…

ia jk, cr. mk xx super for like 400 damage!

orrr sweep for the untechable

Also after getting a untechable knockdown you can do a ia jk and if they attempt to reversal on their wake up you will be safe and get a free punish. niice.

^ hey greglife what input do you use for the ia jk. im having some trouble with it. and you seem to be postin stuff alot it left and right.

I basically do it the same as cammy, but delay it just a second so adon has time to leave the ground. So, basically…

down, down back, back, up back, up, up forward

or

down, down back, back, up forward

2367 for the easy input and 236987 for the more accurate notation if you look at your num pad. You just had to make sure to give him time to leave the ground, that is the main reason I’ve been messing up on it.

I still haven’t got my execution down to 100 % yet, but when i get the set up down it seems to usually work or at least set up some good pressure. I will hopefully have some matches of me just testing stuff out up tomorrow or the next day once I find the charger for my camera. Will also make a tutorial vid for anyone wanting to learn.

Any advice on the Deejay matchup?

The dude zones me out completely and even when I remotely consider being in the air, he just rapes me with that kick special.
It’s like Guile only with an anti-Adon special :frowning: