Rope a Dope is just short for EX GT xx FADC, TC1, U1. Got tired of repeating it.
This thread will list all of the specific ways Rufus can punish the cast with his new U1 set-up. I’ll add more as they are tested. Effectively Rufus can punish any whiffed normal with EX GT at midscreen but the list below will only list moves/normals that can realistically be punished with normal reactions.
Think of the Rope-a-Dope as an extension to his normal TC. He can literally pull his opponent closer (while he dashes forward) allowing his normal TC1 > U1 combo to connect.
Some general all-around applications are:
- Against people charging FA midscreen (suction breaks armor immediately)
- Against characters who do unsafe neutral jump attacks (timing differs)
- After a counterhit df.MK
- After a LP Snake Strike against a standing character (character specific)
Some of the Rope a Dope’s require a cr.jab, cr.lk starter.
- Against a blocked wheelkick (cr.jab)
- If Abel whiffs a wheel kick midscreen
- If Akuma teleports from behind Rufus
- If Akuma whiffs st.RH (cr.jab)
- If Adon whiffs any Jaguar Kicks close to midscreen
- Against blocked gut punch, overhead punch, and low punch (cr.jab)
- If Blanka whiffs his slide (use cr.LK)
- Against a blocked slide (use cr.LK)
- Against a blocked MP and HP Blanka Balls (midscreen)
- Against any Blanka Ball if Blanka is in corner
- Against any whiffed electricity midscreen
- If Cammy whiffs Spiral Arrow
- Against spaced blocked Spiral Arrows (use cr.LK)
- Against a blocked DP (if she does it at max range) (use cr.jab)
vs. Chun Li
- If Chun Li whiffs Hakunsho midscreen
- Against a blocked Bingo (use cr.jab)
- Against an unspaced Criminal Upper (use cr.jab)
- Against a blocked Cody overhead (use cr.jab)
- Need to test against Yoga Teleport.
- Against all MGB’s (except LP) (use cr.jab)
- Against MP and HP headbutts
vs. El Fuerte
- Against a blocked Tosteda(?) Slam
- Against a blocked Quesidilla (chest slam)
vs. Fei Long
- Against a blocked and misspaced Rekka (cr.jab)
- If Fei Long whiffs a Rekka in front of Rufus(!)
- If Gen whiffs an aerial special and lands at least midscreen to Rufus
- Against a blocked Dash Punch (cr.jab)
- Who cares
- Against a blocked Head Stomp Kunai Toss Thing
- Against an unspaced Juri Senpusha [Pinwheel] (cr.jab)
- If Juri whiffs a fireball store at least midscreen
- o_O? Dunno.
- I guess against Ken’s who like to spam midscreen LP Dragon Punch.
- Against a blocked and unsafe Scissor Kick (cr.jab)
- Against an unsafe Reverse Devil (cr.jab)
- Against an unsafe blocked Slide (cr.jab)
- If Dictator whiffs a Devil Reverse landing at least midscreen
- Not sure!
- Against an unsafe MK/HK/EX gay cross-up thing (cr.jab)
- Against an unsafe Soul… Splash? w/e it’s called (cr.jab)
- If Rose uses Soul Grab to escape punishable on landing
- If Rufus whiffs a SS at least midscreen
- Hm. Dunno.
- If Sagat whiffs a tiger knee at least mid screen
- Against a blocked Tiger knee that can’t be regularly punished with st.FP (cr.jab)
- Could try to use this against st.HK
- Against Seth’s who do midscreen divekicks
- Need to test against teleports
- Against blocked Condor Dives (oh yesss)
- Against whiffed Condor Spires (oh yesss). Timing may be strict since Hawk becomes air-borne.
- If Claw whiffs a Wall Dive landing near Rufus
- Need to test if this works against Yang’s whiffed midscreen palm
- Against any unsafe Rekka’s (use cr.jab)
- Against a blocked TC2 combo from Yun (use cr.jab)
- Against a blocked Dash Punch that can’t be regularly punished with st.FP (cr.jab)
- *Yun’s UpKicks can be meterless punished with dash or divekick to st.FP
- Need to test if this works against Yun’s whiffed midscreen palm
- Against Zangief using a midscreen Lariat
- Against a midscreen SPD whiff
- Against a blocked Crouch Sweep (cr.jab)
I’ll update this more as I spend more time in the lab. Feel free to add ones you’ve confirmed.