AE2012 Matchup Series #3: Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Ken, Bison, Makoto, Oni, Rose, Rufus

m-bison

Guy

[details=Spoiler][/details]

Hakan

Spoiler
  1. Free ex.headstomp when he oils (or just a well timed stomp)
  2. Ex. headstomp can stop grab ultra, even when in range (I’d have to test this again, but I’m pretty sure it works)
  3. st.lk stops a lot of his command grab attempts for some reason, from what I’ve seen
  4. Stick to st.mk for poking, as st.hk whiffs often
  5. Utilize the airspace – Hakan has an air grab, but you can fake him with devil’s reverse and get him into a pattern, just like with any character that has a DP

Ibuki

Juri

Spoiler

In general you can out poke her with s.MK but it’s not really spammable against her. Juri has to pick between a few normals to compete and counter with Bison in footsies.
after any throw… if you do the shoto safejump against her (move bison forward and as his legs move about one step jump…) jump in at her with medium kick, it completely stuffs her ex pinwheel wakeup

[FONT=Helvetica]write up:

At the start of the match, if you want a very easy win, you want to get in on her before she has any meter. This is generally
her priority when she starts, as you know, her wakeup game is a joke and she is free to pressure without a bar. She’s going to backup and start her fireball game. Look for patterns, or ways in. Bison’s dash in to grab is great on her fireballs, watch for patterns- empty Devils reverse can get in as well

• The shoto safejump off a grab (throw or backthrow, take about a step, jump in) with medium kick TOTALLY STUFFS her ex pinwheel. She CANT TECH when she has a fireball stored… see where I’m going with this?

• her backdash is slow and laggy, you can OS it with a poke

• if she tries to get on you by jumping, air camp with jump fp

-If she ever does the ex counter thing instead, just jump heavy kick her in the air. You can punish it on reaction. I’m sure there are other things, but I personally just jump heavy kick when I see her doing it. Stops her crossup b.s. and the usefulness of the move. If you fall for ex counter shenanigans- you are bad and should feel bad. It’s free damage and easy to react to, at least for me offline

• When she has U1 you don’t want to reverse, I believe she can now activate u1 and dash to punish your landing

• With FSE, Juris like to use overhead after a crouch or stand medium punch.

-her crouch fp blows up crouch tech, but if blocked its very punishable

-Don’t freak out once she has FSE activated. She wants this and absolutely LOVES when people back themselves in the corner, but don’t be reversal happy either. Expinwheel OS blows up ex psycho crusher, and pinwheel gets warp. Just delay your reversals. She can OS warp with pinwheel too, don’t be stupid.

• You win the footsie game with your superior mobility, however don’t be careless with stand hk, her crouch medium kick
    will go under and tag you

-If she charges a fireball too close, you can actually crouch mp her to heavy sk/whatever as a punish

-laming her out works as well

• you can punish predicted fireballs full screen with ex psycho crusher very easily

• It’s good to disrespect her at times, but you need to respect her AAs and air to air game.~~SniperNightOwl[/FONT]

Ken

M. Bison

[details=Spoiler]Get a life lead and sit back
Beating Bison’s reversals:
Backthrow -> whiff st.MP jump OS grab beats EX-Psycho[/details]

Makoto

Oni

Spoiler

Meaty Headstomp setups won’t be too effective as the uppercut dragon punch hit box will beat out yours.

For those that like to try and blockstring and do crossup slashes just cr.lk or throw him out of it. He can not combo into a crossup slash which is why most good Oni’s won’t do it or at least not often usually a meaty attempt on knockdown. His LK slash can be combo’d into and is -1 on block. His HK ground pound is also -1 on block but has a huge startup and can be blocked low. Another thing to note always try to get back to a crouching block as soon as possible, if he manages to hit you standing well most of his most damaging stuff requires him to land TC2 which can not hit a crouching opponent. The only way for him to get TC2 to land otherwise is to combo into cr.hp xx lk slash then fadc. Oni can land obscene amounts of damage however his mobility is ass jetpack trickery is about the only exception to this and that isn’t horribly threatening and his combos for dmg requires him to be nearly on top of you.

In general Bison win this fight. Your pokes are a lot better than his are at max footsie range. Just don’t bother jumping on him, his AA normals are really really good and that’s not mentioning the DP which is a real risk for Oni as he can not FADC his on block, something that should have been applied to every shoto imo.~Stabicron

Rose

Rufus

Spoiler

[INDENT=1][FONT=Helvetica]The key to keeping rufus out is being very unpredictable when he jumps, and I don’t just necessarily mean with your antiairs. I play every character in the cast, and when i am playing as rufus trying to get in on somebody who is actively trying to zone me out, my first instinct is to vary up my divekick timing to beat or avoid what antiairs i know my opponent likes to use/can use with their character. Think of rufus as a sniper who is trying to land a headshot. You can’t walk in*any one direction *for too long before he catches on and leads you. You gotta dance.[/FONT][/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]When you fight rufus im guessing you get off a few st. hk antairs and all that is fine, but then he changes the timing/spacing of his divekick and you can’t adjust on the fly every time and he gets in. You can’t just let rufus experiment with his divekick timings to find the one that will get him in on you in most situations. Try antiairing with st. hp or st. mp. While these are not good antiairs in general. they can be useful here when rufus is playing around with his divekick spacings. So if he tries to divekick early to get to the floor before your st. hk comes out or something, those will hit him because they have a decent horizontal hitbox for that kind of thing.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Not antiairing him is often an even better option. Sometimes just wait till he comes down and safe scissor chip in. When you think he is going to jump soon, randomly backdash or teleport. If you think he is going to try a divekick from particularly high in his jump, focus is not a bad idea.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Once he gets in you really are fucked, you just need to rely on blocks and reads. It’s really tempting to just use buttons cuz they seem like they will work between blockstrings (I am guilty of trying st. lk to beat short hop divekick) but only press a button or use your escapes when you think you are making a read on what he is going to do. My favorite option if i think a divekick is coming is jumpback fierce since its relatively safe. Using a grounded limb may get you counterhit and eat a huge rufus combo. He does so much more damage than you do, that you gotta play damage control and stay out of those situations where he can get the damage. One mistake i always make that i am trying to work on is really choosing my ex psycho spots. Against most characters it is relatively low risk to do it while your opponent is pressuring you because they are probably pressing buttons or trying to grab you. Rufus’s divekick on the other hand resets you and puts him at massive frame advantage and you lost a bar. So even if he wasn’t even trying to beat the psycho and was just divekick pressuring you, it will beat your crusher anyway. It’s like a builtin matchup specific option select.[/INDENT]

Rufus
EX.Messiah Kick
Ultra 1 can punish all of Rufus Messiah Kick enders.
Before the follow ups come out you can peform Ultra 1. It must be reversal timing to catch the overhead option, otherwise the ultra will whiff. No follow up and sweep have more lax timings. The armour breaking follow up is a true block string so if you attempt to ultra 1 before the follow up, you will end up loosing charge and will not have time to ultra it on block. You can still punish with a combo though. If you predict it the armour breaker, you can punish with Ultra on block anyway
You can punish messiah kicks before the follow ups with Ultra 1 pretty often

asdfsadf

Hakan:

1. Free ex.headstomp when he oils (or just a well timed stomp)
  2. Ex. headstomp can stop grab ultra, even when in range (I’d have to test this again, but I’m pretty sure it works)
  3. st.lk stops a lot of his command grab attempts for some reason, from what I’ve seen
  4. Stick to st.mk for poking, as st.hk whiffs often
  5. Utilize the airspace – Hakan has an air grab, but you can fake him with devil’s reverse and get him into a pattern, just like with any character that has a DP

EDIT: Do double-check these, guys! I’m a Honda player that moonlights with Dictator that’s just trying to help the community out.

As I suspected about Juri…

pretty much like when Chun-Li has U1 revenge, you don’t want to be using devils reverse. While you are in the air, she can activate FSE and dash to punish your landing from just about anywhere now on the screen, so watch out for that. I don’t think this MU changed much otherwise, getting in on her when she has no meter pretty much is your initial goal vs her, and be wary of any of her shenanigans. She can stuff sk pressure if she guesses right so don’t be predictable with it, try to observe what she does between loops and act accordingly. You can punish predictable fireballs with head stomp, ex psycho crusher, ect. We win the footsie war with our superior mobility, but don’t be careless with stand hk, her crouch mk can go under it and tag us. She has nice jump in, so stay spaced (preferably with life lead) and get ready to stand hk. As always reaction neutral jump aerials for AA are nice too.

Rufus
EX.Messiah Kick
Ultra 1 can punish all of Rufus Messiah Kick enders.
Before the follow ups come out you can peform Ultra 1. It must be reversal timing to catch the overhead option, otherwise the ultra will whiff. No follow up and sweep have more lax timings. The armour breaking follow up is a true block string so if you attempt to ultra 1 before the follow up, you will end up loosing charge and will not have time to ultra it on block. You can still punish with a combo though. If you predict it the armour breaker, you can punish with Ultra on block anyway.

M.Bison
You can shut down his Devil Reverse meter building game with either EX.PC or Ultra 2.

anti juri technology…

after any throw… if you do the shoto safejump against her (move bison forward and as his legs move about one step jump…) jump in at her with medium kick, it completely stuffs her ex pinwheel wakeup

Against Ken and Oni ; Don’t try to do a meaty headstomp or gross up stomp because that loses to both of their Ultra 1’s, I’m not sure whether or not it’s just me doing it wrong but I would not really try to do it since they both will get full hits.

Oni: For those that like to try and blockstring and do crossup slashes just cr.lk or throw him out of it. He can not combo into a crossup slash which is why most good Oni’s won’t do it or at least not often usually a meaty attempt on knockdown. His LK slash can be combo’d into and is -1 on block. His HK ground pound is also -1 on block but has a huge startup and can be blocked low. Another thing to note always try to get back to a crouching block as soon as possible, if he manages to hit you standing well most of his most damaging stuff requires him to land TC2 which can not hit a crouching opponent. The only way for him to get TC2 to land otherwise is to combo into cr.hp xx lk slash then fadc. Oni can land obscene amounts of damage however his mobility is ass jetpack trickery is about the only exception to this and that isn’t horribly threatening and his combos for dmg requires him to be nearly on top of you.

In general Bison win this fight. Your pokes are a lot better than his are at max footsie range. Just don’t bother jumping on him, his AA normals are really really good and that’s not mentioning the DP which is a real risk for Oni as he can not FADC his on block, something that should have been applied to every shoto imo.

Oni’s ultra 1 always beats headstomps because he slides backwards when he does it so you actually land on the ultra instead of Oni.

Ken’s ultra 1 has a hit box that counters stomps but it needs to be timed right.

against bison: backthrow ->wiff st.mp jump os grab beats ex psycho

EX PC is so free against soul throw on wakeup…

[media=youtube]EQAk89J4pAk[/media]

regarding Bison mirrors… If the opposing Bison’s wake up game is a backwards teleport. Assume you predict it and slide (cr.HK), would it be possible to U1 or U2 for a option select? Wondering if the opposing Bison can block it in time after the backwards teleport?

Jump in fp to hk is safer than slide and easies prediction for warp punishing.

I don’t think standing hk is gonna reach a backwards teleport

I was thinking the same

Option select slide.

juri:

write up:

At the start of the match, if you want a very easy win, you want to get in on her before she has any meter. This is generally
her priority when she starts, as you know, her wakeup game is a joke and she is free to pressure without a bar. She’s going to backup and start her fireball game. Look for patterns, or ways in. Bison’s dash in to grab is great on her fireballs, watch for patterns- empty Devils reverse can get in as well

• The shoto safejump off a grab (throw or backthrow, take about a step, jump in) with medium kick TOTALLY STUFFS her ex pinwheel. She CANT TECH when she has a fireball stored… see where I’m going with this?

• her backdash is slow and laggy, you can OS it with a poke

• if she tries to get on you by jumping, air camp with jump fp

-If she ever does the ex counter thing instead, just jump heavy kick her in the air. You can punish it on reaction. I’m sure there are other things, but I personally just jump heavy kick when I see her doing it. Stops her crossup b.s. and the usefulness of the move. If you fall for ex counter shenanigans- you are bad and should feel bad. It’s free damage and easy to react to, at least for me offline

• When she has U1 you don’t want to reverse, I believe she can now activate u1 and dash to punish your landing

• With FSE, Juris like to use overhead after a crouch or stand medium punch.

-her crouch fp blows up crouch tech, but if blocked its very punishable

-Don’t freak out once she has FSE activated. She wants this and absolutely LOVES when people back themselves in the corner, but don’t be reversal happy either. Expinwheel OS blows up ex psycho crusher, and pinwheel gets warp. Just delay your reversals. She can OS warp with pinwheel too, don’t be stupid.

• You win the footsie game with your superior mobility, however don’t be careless with stand hk, her crouch medium kick
    will go under and tag you

-If she charges a fireball too close, you can actually crouch mp her to heavy sk/whatever as a punish

-laming her out works as well

• you can punish predicted fireballs full screen with ex psycho crusher very easily

• It’s good to disrespect her at times, but you need to respect her AAs and air to air game.

Wsup with makoto? She’s scary to fight