Affordable Arcade Joystick(with no ball!)

Hey,

I’ve been looking for a good arcade style joystick to play street fighter that doesn’t have a ball. Why do they all have balls? we’re not playing pacman here!

Madcatz looks nice, but has a ball :frowning:

let me know,

Thanks guys

The official SF4 cab uses ball-top joysticks… :stuck_out_tongue: If you don’t care for the ball top, why not just order a bat top that’ll fit the joystick you’re looking at?

You would probably have to make something like that yourself. Wouldn’t be too hard, just fit a screw adapter into an old Atari joystick.

There’s also the Madcatz arcade ‘gamestick’… which is garbage. :v

And then, yeah, there are plenty of bat-top sticks. Korea makes the best one (Fanta stick), imo. >_>

This should be posted in the trading post or something unless buying affects 09 members

They have balls because a lot of people use and prefer them, whereas some people prefer bat tops. Its all personal preference, but you shouldnt neglect the fact that a lot of people use them for beat em up’s and they work well if you can use them. Im guessing your not much of a ball fondler, so why not buy a stick and put a bat top on it …

I’ve always been fond of the Happ sticks, you can get the IL Eurostick from lizardlick.com. There seems to be a wait, but It be worth it.

lol your right, i just never saw joysticks with balls in our arcades in canada… all street fighter games and beat em ups all had bat joysticks, so i guess i got use to those

So get used to something new. After trying both I was happy to give up on Happ style controls. You don’t have to stick with the old.

agreed…

I’ll humble you instead of trying to convert you.

If the ball is a scary prospective then you may not like Japanese sticks, even with a bat top replacement. They do make them though for a whopping $5 if that’s your only hang-up. The sticks in the arcade that you’re used to are more than likely Happ/iL sticks. Unfortunately there’s not really a commercial American stick for this round of consoles.

Arcade-In-A-Box (which is not cheap) or another similar custom is your best route for an American stick. You could also purchase a Street Fighter 15th Anniversary controller (eBay) and use it on the PS3 with an adapter.

^ this guy is right. I’ve been reading this forum for a long time and I would say 99% of the time when someone says they want a bat top they mean they want an American feel stick. JLF/Seimitsu with a bat top is not going to cut it.

Indeedy. The thread that sticks out in my mind was a guy who was trying to get his Japanese stick to feel like an American. He swapped out a bat top, springs, butttons, basically anything he could think of and in the end still wasn’t happy with it.

That being said, I’m a Happ fanboy with a couple of Japanese sticks on the way. I’ve been trolling long enough that I want to give them a try. If I had originally gotten them I imagine I would have been quite unhappy.