My main disappointment is that he only has 2 colors. Seriously, wtf. With the game being delayed for a year, you’d thought Udon could have thrown in 7 more schemes, but whatever.
As for actual gameplay, I’m not sure what to think. I have to remind myself that he’s “new” and I’m not as familiar with him as I am with other characters so I shouldn’t be too hasty (…don’t be hasty…) in judging him.
- Air fireball barely goes forward at all.
- Takes damage like a puss, which we knew coming in.
- Blue fireballs are a little better than Ryu’s.
- BnB combo off of low forward does big damage (low forward, forward HK, jab DP)…
- This means he is excellent at punishing as long as he can land a deep low forward or close fierce.
- Air fireball is really good about canceling out other fireballs.
- Air hurricane kicks lead to juggles.
Jury is out:
- Raging Demon/Shungokusatsu (SGS) set-ups. How easy is it to tick into the SGS? This will make a big difference in how dangerous Akuma is. Because, as it stands, he has nothing up close compared to Ryu and Ken. Ryu has the overhead and fake FB for close range pressure. Ken has knee bash and the best cross-up jump kick of the shotos
- Fireball recovery. Red fireball feels like it has a lot of recovery. I’m still not 100% sure how blue fireball compares with Ryu, Ken, or Sagat’s fireballs.
As far as his juggles go. The rule seems simple. Short HK can not start a juggle nor will the move juggle itself. Otherwise, use your forward and roundhouse HK and all DPs for juggles.
Edit: Corrected my mistake about Akuma’s fireballs