Alpha 3: Q & A

Chikyuu’s still still No.1 imo =x

Japan needs to start doing 2/3 instead of best of 1, if only for the entertainment of the people watching.

Yeah, I don’t know why you guys are cheesing over that Sodom player. His game was good, no doubt, but we’ve all seen better.

What caught me were those A-Charlie and A-Bison(Dictator) players who were both really fucking tight on their mechanics. Maybe their execution wasn’t so good but they were just on the ball with their mechanics.

I was totally breathless when that V-Guy activated and did oc.RH. Makes me want to cry tears of joy. He totally should have refrained from using Bushin drops and jumping. Meaning, staying out of the air in general. Still, makes me feel all warm inside when I see a good Guy player use V combos effectively.

Overall that batch of vids was great. That A-Akuma was scary the way he forced so many 50//50’s.

Anyone know how to buy that Zero Direction? I need to know details.

I don’t think there is a better Sodom player at the moment considering that this was the latest large scale A3 tournament and he was the winner out of like 76 participants or something.
He’s great because of the way he’s able to improvise. He has some very very creative VC’s in some of the other match-ups I’ve seen him in. Saw him start a VC from Sodom’s throw before, and he has an A2 style CC that he uses against Dhalsim players when he can.

Never seen any other Sodom open up on a Dhalsim player like that before either. Plus he takes full advantage of all of Sodom’s crouch cancel combos which you don’t see very often.

That A-Akuma played a ‘sloppy’ first round against the dictator player. It looked like he kept trying to activate out of habit at first. That A-Charlie did have a pretty tight game though.

I’m curious to see some of the other exhibition matches.

I was impressed with what looked to be a hit-confirmed 360, which is a simple thing, but since I don’t play 360 characters and have bad excecution in general, I’m always impressed by that.

I know they had way too many people, but it would have been nuts if the exhibition tournament were round-robin.

Guy’s chains dont come out if you’re holding in any direction. It wouldve made it a hell of alot easier if you could hold toward the opponent when you do his ff chains following the level 3 kick super midscreen. Once you get the jab, you just gotta let go and go neutral.

I’ve always seemed to get the strong-fierce chain out, timing it the same as when i time the strong-fierce in the middle of the ff chain. You can use visual queues anyway though, just watch when Guy begins to retract his fist from strong.

vs Chun’s jump short on the ground: roundhouse hurricane does work. You’ve got to force Chun to only jump at you from a distance, and for cross ups. So that way you can roundhouse hurricane or qcf jab-jab throw. Just using Guy’s qcf punches(mainly fierce) in general work well on Chun, after the strong-fierce string, or just strong or fierce by themselves.
If she goes for cross up, you can duck and then crouch jab her when she gets on the otherside. That works really well vs shotos anyhow. Guy has the hitbox where you can crouch under cross ups fairly well.

You can also react to the jump with a jump of your own, into air throws or d+strong elbow resulting in the favorable counter hit, which you could follow up with an immediate roundhouse hurricane, or if you can walk cancel, walk cancel into the ff chain. Attacking her air to air, forces Chun to attack early when she’s in the air, in which point you can stay on the ground and just cr jab or cr strong into qcf jab-jab for the slam. And What Bitch.

Otherwise if it’s not favorable, dont try to beat it. Just let her jump in at you. And try for a cr forward to trip her(after the close fierce that is), because Guy’s cr forward will beat her cr roundhouse.

That matchup is too hard though IMO. Gotta bait her.

Some interesting info, I’ll try some of these soon. It isn’t a prob to find jump crazy CHuns on and offline, same for Ken players …^^ Oh and the c.FK beating Chuns c.RK, thats true but can anyone explain why it sometimes knocks down and sometimes doesn’t regardless of CH or not?

People were discussing about “that” Sodom player. ^^

And I must second all the people who say he’s best right now. And I never saw a better V-sodom player then him. You remember the time when a-cho didn’t feature their vids anymore? About this time Crusher began to get good. He placed 1st a lot of times. And some a-cho tournament had 3 Sodom players in the top 8. Crusher being on the first place and on other Sodom player went second. I joked and said, those japanes players seem to have a new deadly Sodom technique, heh?

And then a-cho shared their vids again. The first or the second batch featured Crusher getting on the 1st place. Doing his CC reactivation VC. Awesome.

And in the UZ tournament this year, he didn’t just got 1st place in the single tournament, no. He also did very great in the A3 west against east japan event. He had the highest winning streak of all the players. He got 6 wins in a row, beating D44 and stuff.

So naming a better Sodom will be very hard. (just based on his technical level he’s awesome)

The only reason you don’t see that more often is because it’s character specific.

EDIT: actually two reasons. One, it’s character specific like I said. Two, Normal throws can’t be ticked like command throws can. Gief, Birdie and I think Mika can all splash, then the range of VC 360’s allows you to grab easily and continue to combo.

To use the normal throw VC they have to be out of block/hitstun before you can throw and to top it off you don’t have the range 360’s do. this makes something simple like crossup lk, throw is so tight and very risky because you have to move up slighty before it works, leaving you open to reversal’s. If it works even once, the other player will probably be ready for it the next time.

I would have been great if Capcom allowed you to activate immediately AFTER after the throw but it doesn’t seem to work no matter how fast I mash or set autofire to (training purposes only =p) Which I find strange seeing as KK throw, immediate lv1 scrape works in A-ism. ah well.

The thing I see about krusher is that his Sodom is I dunno slighty… I think the word I want is a little scruffy? (and yes, I’m the last person who should be saying this). Looking at the matches he was very lucky to win not only against the Sim player but he barely won the Gen matches too. On another day he might’ve lost both matches.

the Reactivate CC’s were pretty, he’s a very good player obviously, the skills are there (impromtu OTG = ace), but I think he’s still lacking a little something imo. He’s the best right now? I see that, but not the best Sodom player ever.

With VER. switching to Cody and Asaba playing Gouki, it looks like Crusher is the only one flying the Sodom beat-down flag. It’s hard to say who is better out of those three now, though (no disrespect to Chikyuu, but I can’t recall seeing any of his Sodom matches, nor do I have any recollection of him finishing high in a major Japan tourney), but I’ll say this: Crusher has used his Karin VC knowledge to create that infinite – something that both Asaba and VER. never attained. Even after playing that character for years.

Actually, what he did was:
3P Throw (They air recover) (Activate) > Slide > Fierce Scrape > RH > Jab Scrape, etc.

People are always gonna look scruffy against Dhalsim anyway, because you have to fight to get in. His execution’s usually a lot cleaner though and he usually hits all his VC’s. If you watch some of Chikyuu’s matches from 2003, his stuff was pretty “scruffy” as you’d call it at times as well.

In those matches against V-Sak then V-Akuma that was the only VC he did right. He messed up everything else or did guard crushes, which again on another day, would cost him the game. Although he did rape the Sak player hard :tup:.

The same thing happened when he played Shinya too and against Dark, more missed VC’s. Had Dark not paniced a little during the actvations he coulda won.

Against sim, the good opening he had won him the first round, he let him back in after the assault at the beginning. lucky to win that last round.

Like whom? VER was a beast, but Krasher is doing stuff I’ve never seen them do… bah, to each his own. All I know is that Krasher is making Sodom look top tier lol

everyone looks “scruffy” when they play tough opponents or match ups.

I think it’s probably a smaller hit frames on the knockdown hit. I dunno.
I wish it cancellable like it was in the other Alpha games. He really needs a ranged cancellable low. It’s be amazing if he couldve comboed the level 3 kick with that.

Hmm… Interesting views.

OMG, Karin and Juni also crossup into 360 ->juggle. <3

^right you are

I’m not buying that.

He always plays the same crazy rash style. dude is full of confidence, even against the best players/characters. I think it’s just his style to throw people off.

Ok thx for the repley and yes in Alpha 2 to it was quite nice to cancel it into the kick super or qcb+K.^^

scratch this part. I’ve confirmed that holding back, up, or up/back, you can still FFchain. But holding those directions are pointless as far as any progression is concerned, atleast in my opinion.

The strong - fierce chain comes out when holding any direction but down, down/back, and offensive crouch.

Directions you can hold:

FF chain: :l:, :u:, :ub: back, up, up/back

strong - fierce: :l:, :r:, :u:, :ub:, :uf: back, forward, up, up/back, up/foward

Directions you can’t:

For both FF chain and strong - fierce: :d:, :df:, :db: down is the universal no chain direction for Guy.

Too bad, cause that limits the buffer zone alot I think. *note that it’s still very lenient though, you can still end up holding the “bad” directions if you time it properly.
This is why IMO it’s better to go neutral whenever you chain, that way there’s no risk of screwing up the chain and you aren’t making your motions longer(by using back making more inputs) comboing into his level 3 kick.

2 new 3-on-3 vids up at a-cho

there’s that crazy dan meter thing again.