Am I just not cut out for Fighting games?

Jakeyjake, it would make far more sense to jump in with SF x Tekken than UMvC3.

UMvC3 online is mostly a pool of players who are experienced and will stomp the shit out of you. Even on release day, the level (for online) was fairly high because it was mostly MvC3 veterans who decided to buy it, so they already knew the game engine, how everything worked, etc. There weren’t many players completely fresh to fighting games who decided to jump in with UMvC3. UMvC3 is a game where you can get reeeeally fucked over anyway because there’s a lot of hardcore, abusable shit to fight in that game. If you don’t know what you’re doing, it can be really, really hard finding your feet.

SF x Tekken will have a flood of new players when it’s released and will likely have a lot of players who aren’t that familiar with fighting games for the first few weeks, so that will be your best for deciding if you’re cut out for the genre or not. If you have any buddies who get the game, even better, but the best thing to do is play those on your level. Even if it’s random players online you had a close game against, send them an invite/friend request and do player matches against them. It’ll come together naturally.

I honestly think the problem you’ve had is UMvC3 has an unusually high level online, due to the high percentage of veterans and low percentage of new players coming into that game today.

In any case, as with all fighting games, the best way to learn is to find human opponents on your level and take it from there. Practice in training mode is important but it should be something you naturally gravitate towards because you’ve fallen in love with the genre and want to get better. You will not discover your love for fighting games in training mode.

Good luck.

^ You have a good point, UMVC3 is pretty much just an updated version of the original game that came out 10 months prior. I could understand how the more pro players would buy it while the newer players would avoid it.
However, I do not have much cash to buy games that often. I thought of getting SSF4AE, which I believe is 20 dollars, and help teaches you the basics of fighters better.
Right now though, I feel like I need to overcome my problems without fleeing to a safer game. I can try finding someone on this forum, who is new and play with him/her so we both get better.

Btw the versus controller thing is easily broken, I had the LT button used for S + M, so I can easily dash and perform hypers. It however, seems to be unresponsive at some times, not even showing up when using it in training mode. The squeaking is also very irritating. I have tried using a normal controller, and find that to be difficult to perform supers/hypers with the analog or dpad. Anyone know a cheap alternative that works well with this game?

Basically, just play the game and try to enjoy it. If you’re having fun, you’ll get better.

I’m kind of in your shoes myself, worse since I have no ability to play online in my area and mostly stick to oldschool games, so I have to live with having the floor wiped with me by CPU opponents in games like Super Turbo and Art of Fighting 2. But its still fun to pop in and play them every once in awhile, and sometimes I figure out a new trick or notice a weakness I never noticed before, and then I’m a bit better at the game. That said, you would probably still mop the floor with me in a fight.

Wish I could help you on the controller issue though. I use a modded stick, so I haven’t really experimented a lot with pads.

10 games vs people who’ve played 100x more than that.

Hmmmm.

xbox controller really is meant just for FPS imo. the only cheap alternative would be a WWE brawlstick for $30 if any gamestop near you still has them in stock. Otherwise there really is no alternative in terms of controller. Maybe search for a used stick but thats about it.

I personally would never recommend an arcade pad or w/e other names they like to all them by.

it takes time man. assuming you’re young, you’ve got pllllllllllllenty of time to improve. just stick with it.
convince some friends to start playing with you and you’ll learn a lot while having a lot of fun.

fighting games are just like any other genre so do not expect to be decent from the beginning. it takes time and patience but if you enjoy playing, the time will fly by.

Do you hit the gym often? It’s 40% technique and 60% fitness. In other words, if the game isn’t entertaining and if it even stresses you out, stop playing, that is all there is to it.

Of those 20 matches find the match that you resisted the longest and find out why you did perform much better than the other 19 games. Have that match in mind for next time.
I faced the same condition in KOF98. Believe me, if you manage 1 win out of 100 games it will be a feat. If you manage to lose in a close match for 10 games it will be an even greater feat. Even if the opponent picks the weakest characters. those guys are machines…

There’s nothing wrong with this, this is actually a legit strategy.

Once I learned how to block I doubled my win ratio online. Go to training mode and set the cpu to hard/very hard and do nothing but block. The cpu will mess you up, just keep trying and it will get easier. Working these blocking sessions into your practice time might help you out.

Do you improve each match? Sure you are not winning matches right away, but have you taken out one character yet? Once you do that consistently, try to take out two, etc.

Work your way up slowly, but take every small victory as a victory. I’m brand new to this too and have had some difficulty with the more experienced locals, but I am learning more each time we play and keep getting closer and closer to victory.

The best thing I can recommend would be do would be character trials. Get up to the trial that you cant complete with the character you like, and then redo them all from the beginning. This will help embed the combos you should be learning with. Now when you have your team set and your combos burnt into your brain, hop in training mode and find the right assists. Are you going to want a projectile assist? OTG (on the ground)?, find what works best and then get your bread and butter team combos down. Practice these over and over and over. Do not waste your time playing online ranked battles or any of that until you are comfortable with your strategy. At your current level, if you take ranked and player matches serious, its just going to frustrate you. Put in the time, and you’ll see the results.

combos and online dont mix unless you’ve got turbo.

This. Blocking and moving around the screen will increase the chances of surviving before the timer hits 80. This is precious time to read your opponent and learn his habits.

Though I believe you really shouldn’t be playing ranked matches. Each match can become virtually unpredictable as the opponent wants to win as quickly as possible without any major hurdles to cross with your team.

Play player matches. Grind it out every time you face an opponent that knows what hes doing. If you lose, hit rematch. Do this until you feel like you understand how your opponent’s team is designed and that you can find mistakes in your gameplay that you can fix and overcome. Also, you’re blocking will improve at same time, which is win/win.

Also, if you want to make an effort to improve with your team, I highly recommend becoming an active part of your character’s respective UMVC3 board. They are in a way, a friendly sub-community within SRK that usually pick a specific character because of their dedication as a fan.

Hmmm, I’ve seen that wwe stick and skipped over it, thinking that it was probably not ment for 2d fighters. I might check it out.

The defense practive sounds good too, I notice that when I try to stop fighting and block I usually hit more. I’ve also been playing player matchs and met people who are around the same level as I am. I think 3 losses and 4 wins (would’ve been more but his internet crapped out) and a new friend was a good start.

I’ve been using a team of Chris/Ryu/Zero (now known as team “blue fire”), Should I post in a thread in each and every one of the character boards or just post in one of them?

Nah, just discussing/asking about your character with everyone in a thread that exists shows your appreciation of the character and interest in learning his/her tools.

errr, anchor Zero is probably the worst spot. I’d put Chris 2nd and Ryu last, but thats just me…I’d personally swap Ryu for Akuma too.

lol i was doing this while learning to get better with dhalsim. no attacks, just block and tech everything. people started quitting mid match on me, probs shouldnt have done it online lol.

@PKSkyler Alright, I’ll try out if that works well, Chris is just so good at starting though, with good range/damage on simple combos.

Jakeyjake, my kindred spirit novice. I am also in your shoes, but with SFxTK. I am piggy backing the advice in here, seems pretty helpful. I’d like to think myself a somewhat (theoretically) smart player, as I understand people have literal decades of experience on me. My suddestion to you would be to try to shrug of losses.

Also, try not to get mind-fucked and “break” (mental break) in a match. I may not be the best person to give this advice since I rage all the time and can be rather self-defeating, but it is sound advice I think we both as novices should follow, or try to follow.

When I say mind-fucked and break, I mean don’t get mixed up by Wesker, lose your point man, become somewhat paralyzed, and break your mind set of winning and trying to do your best. It doesn’t even have to be a character loss, just having to deal with corner pressure or mass fireballs. Stay frosty.

Also, as it was said earlier, do not get discouraged by being defeated. It’s a loss, so what? Be happy when you have little successes in a match. Winning or losing a game is a series of successes and mistakes, and I think that is where the real fun comes from. Even in I get murdered in a match, nothing feels greater than guessing right that one time and getting off that command grab. Try to remember what you did right and do it more, remember the mistakes and do them less. I am over simplifying things, I know, but if you do TRY to improve, you WILL get beter.

That being said, I need to try to take this advice all to heart and actually implement the things in this thread, including things from my own post,