An actual method of blocking?

Hey all,
I wouldn’t call myself much of a noob but I also still have much to learn. So I’m hoping I brought this question to the right place and not infringing on any rules.

Anyway, most of my competition is done through XBL since I don’t have a lot of opportunity to travel.

Lately, I’ve been watching my replays after each Ranked Match to learn common blocking patterns and how to get through them. I’ve found one though that is sort of bothering me and I’m not sure if it’s legitimate blocking or lag abuse?

So when I watch the replays all I’m seeing is a rapid Back to Down-Back being pressed by my opponent. So essentially blocking high and low rapidly. For whatever reason, getting through this is oddly tough.

Now, I know throw is an option and I do that. Also, I’ll pause in block strings to see what happens and sure enough they are slowing walking backwards bobbing up and down rapidly. But when I try to poke through it many times it gets blocked.

I’ve often thought that blocking like this leaves you way open but I seem to have a lot of trouble.

Is there something about this that I don’t know? Is the few milliseconds of online lag contributing? Does this work offline?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this…actually a thing? You’re right it does leave you much more vulnerable than just holding db and doesn’t really have any benefit. I suppose if it was like frame perfect you’d only get hit 50% of the time, but that’s a far cry from the 0% you’d get hit if you just held db to block.