Any Network + people here?

heres the thing. i have an interview next week that involves me to have to brush up on my netowrk skills. i got my A+ and N+ but the jobs ive been holding didnt have me brush up on my N+ skills. im currently at a non profit orginazation pretty much being an it admin for 36 users. before that i was with dell doing break fix tech support (hardware only).

the job that im trying to get into has more networking skills and server experience needed more than anything. i got plenty of comptia shit/vids but thats to pass the test not going through trouble shooting problems

anyway the 1st interview was kinda over the phone (by suprise) he asked me 15 questions and i tell you id be supprised if i got even 6 correct. he asked me questions like

whats pdc? i didnt know but its primary domain controller.

whats the diffrence between static and that other ( shit i forgot the name already) ip adress? i got correct

if a user is tring to log in a domain server and its saying incorrect user name or password what are the things that you would look for? i siad make sure thats its under the approprate domain name. he said that it was ocrrect . was looking for that and/or check for internet connection

if you need to change a switch which kind of switch you woudl look for ? i siad depends on which cables are being used for the swtich correct

so many others but they dont come to mind. retty much most of them was knowing the abbreviations of somethings.

so i got called in the primary first interview and i knocked their socks off. they loved my personality and they wanted me to explain y is it that i couldnt “remember” any trouble shooting or accranims for the network related issues. i told them that “its kinda like when you go to yourr friends house all the time and even though i go there all the time i dont know the address or couldnt really explain how to take you there but i know how to get there”. they loved that answer. they scheduled me a second interview. letting me know forehand that the questions that the manager will be asking me will not be easy compared to the questions they asked b4. more so in the trouble shooting area

now lucky me my second interview is on the week of memorial day and a have a week to get this shit in my head. only b/c the head guy is the on a traveling convention and wont be back until then. sitting here stumping in having to look at these freakin vids again i was wondering if any of you guys are in the N+ field?

these are the duties that are said to be needed although they dont express the need to know N+ as they told me in verbal

Summary The qualified candidate will service our customers in an assigned territory, providing technical support and assistance when necessary.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

? Ability to work closely with Territory Sales Representative to insure customer needs are met.
? Interface with Technical support to troubleshoot and repair customer instruments, video and computer problems. Experience with Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP and older Windows environments preferred.
? Experience in electronic equipment repairs with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills is preferred.
? Communicate with in-house customer service centers on behalf of customers. Help with resolution of problems and implementation of solutions.
? Conduct on-site training and re-training of customers to insure proper handling and reprocessing of instruments.
? Conduct on-site training and re-training of customers to insure proper utilization of our EndoPro and Docuscribe software products.
? Assist customers with preventive maintenance with a focus on repair cost reduction.
? Able to handle difficult emotional customer situations. Track problem accounts and get management involved when necessary to insure customer satisfaction.
? Computer literate, experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Microsoft Power Point experience preferred.
? Market service contracts to our existing customers and increase annual service revenues in your designated territory.
? Submit weekly schedules and reports when requested (Including Expense Reports).
? Work closely with National Service Director to insure corporate service goals are achieved.
? Other duties may be assigned.

Supervisory Responsibilities:
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.

Qualifications:

Must have College education or equivalent from two-year technical school; or six months to one year related experienced training/equivalent combination of education and experience and/or equivalent medical sales or service experience.
A+ and Network+ certifications.

Must have excellent communication skills.

Must travel within set territory and be willing to travel nationally when required.
Excellent organization skills required.

40k plus a 5k quarterly bonus. i need this to change my financial situation. any help will be appreciated. maybe a video that shows normal networking isssues? if i could be so lucky

Gah, I do all that for half of what they are offering… Then again living in New York is high price living. Study dem acronyms!

right the acronyms thx. i pretty much will be working for a company that makes those machines where u can go through an inevasive sergery. they are called endoscopes. anyway they have there own proccessor (device) and it needs to be connected to the network for other pc’s to have access to it. so i woudl be talking to net admins and it admins to resolve the issues. they dont want me working there looking stupid. i gotta know the net talk. what acronyms should i be more familiar with when it has to do with lan connectivity and domains and shit? i know that there are like a 1000 ports but just the ones in the atmostphere of connectivity

What do you know about wireless networking? Can you go over the differences between the various types?

What are the standards of Cat5 pintouts? How do you crimp a straight? A rollover? Crossover? Whats the max length of a Cat5 run? What are the risks of exceeding that run? What sort of vendors would you contact to order it?

Those are the kinds of questions that I would ask someone for networking, regardless of what their job really requires. Then again, from the description you posted, it sounds like you’re going to be doing glorified tech support for Doctors or something, not tech-level repairs on servers or anything.

Mean man. Who the hell remembers Cat5 pinouts :wink:

i appreciate the questions man. and i will answer tehm honestly w/o googleing it : )

wireless uses the 802.11 frequency. thats all that comes to mind unless your reffering to security such as wep and wpa?

ive never crimped and im honestly familiar with a straight and cross over. cross over is for the use of pc connected directly to another pc w/o needing a hub. straight cnnot talk and receive at the same time… roll over?

100 meters or 330 ft is the longest run that you can do for cat5 or you will start decresing bandwaith and have a higher chance of interferance

as far as venders i dont think i would need to know that one.

now that you asked me them i will look into all those questions when i get home. any trouble shooting questions u might have experienced?

ur right. i have to go from site to site fixing what they call epk-i and endoscopes. well tehy will teach me how to fix that but i have to already know how to handle teh connectivity to all the pc’s pretty much seeing the device. or server issues in relating to see that device

Oh yeah, forgot about the ultimate one.

What are the layers of the OSI model?

Walk me through a piece of data as it travels through each layer.

Which layers are hardware? Software?

Give me some examples of devices that operate at each layer (if applicable to that layer).

How would you use this information to troubleshoot a device that can’t get on a network?

iknow there is 7

phisical,data link, apllication, session, network?

that last question i woudl loveto know the answer to. i guess i never knew the importance of knowing the layers will help me trouble shoot issues with the network.

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Data
Physical

The idea of using the OSI to troubleshoot hinges on knowing where the devices in your networking fit into each layer.

Returning to the question I posed previously:

The first thing I would do if a device can’t get on a network is assess its physical connection(starting at the bottom layer of OSI). If the device is connecting via Cat5, make sure it is plugged in on both ends and that both sides have good solid crimps. From there, work your way up the model. Check to make sure its able to pass data, make sure that its resolving over the network, etc. Its been nearly 2 years since I really dealt with this on a daily basis, but there should be some good sites out there with examples.

For 568B, I do! White/Orange, Orange, White/Green, Blue, White/Blue, Green, White/Brown, Brown :woot:

The crossover pin layout I NEVER remember usually because all I hook patch cables into are auto-sensing switches. :rofl:

for crossover you just switch greens and orange.

wgreen, green , worange, blue, wblue, orange, wbrown, brown - thats also the A standard.
Crossover is just A on one side B on the other.
If you test the pinouts 1 and 3, 3 and 1, 2 and 6, 6and 2, should all match up

I always have to make custom cable lengths so i’ve memorized this shit like the back of my hand.

I memorized that a LONG time ago.

I’m CCNA (or rather, I used to be), and I need to re-test for my CCNP here soon. The above stuff is just memorization/regurgitation. The OSI networking model I memorize for tests only. I remember by layer number and function. Not glancing at the list given above:

Layer 1: Physical cabling, hubs. Shared collision domain.
Layer 2: Switches, Mac Addresses, Frames. Semi-shared collision domain.
Layer 3: Routers, Hosts/Interfaces, IP Addresses and Packets. Separated collision domains.
Layer 4: Routing Protocols, most common are TCP and UDP
Layer 5: Port Numbers
Layer 6: Port Services, such as FTP, Telnet, SSH, HTTP, VNC, etc
Layer 7: Applications on the host accesses port services.

The names mean nothing to me at all, I always think of them in that stack. I would fail out of a written test, but in the field it is second nature to me. Also, you might want to brush up on your base-2 and base-8 math, along with VLSM’s (variable length subnet mask). Do you know what 255.255.255.0 or /24 mean? What about /23? Could you represent /23 in decimal? What about binary? :slight_smile:

I just realized that I might have layers 5 and 6 switched. That’s why I hate the OSI model - the names mean squat. If I ask if the port numbers are presentation or session layer, would the names mean a thing to you? Probably not. :frowning:

Drives me insane.

mmmm, I love cider…

1      2  3   4     5      6     7

Please Do Not Throw Salami Pizza Away.
h      a  e   r     e      r     p
y      t  t   a     s      e     p
s      a  w   n     s      s     l
i         o   s     i      e     i
c      L  r   p     o      n     c
a      i  k   o     n      t     a
l      n      r            a     t
       k      t            t     i