Any pads with d-pad and buttons that are tactile and clicky like the on DSi and Vita?

One thing I love about the DSi XL and Vita is that the buttons and d-pad have a wonderful clicky tactile feel to them. I’m wondering if I can get the same input sensation on PC. (Bonus points for anything that also works on PS3, which should take most standard USB plug-and-play controllers.)

I’m not necessarily looking for a fightpad with a 6-button layout; this is actually going to be used mostly for puzzle games and 2D platformers like Super Meat Boy. The only fighters I would play on this pad would be ASW games where I use the regular 4-button layout, so I’m willing to get something that has a more “traditional” layout if needed.

The PDP Versus controller sounds attractive me (it actually doesn’t have a traditional d-pad, but rather a digital joystick) since the buttons and stick have microswitch actuators. However, I’ve heard that those have a design flaw which prevents left diagonal inputs from being recognized, and generally suffer from poor build quality.

I’ve heard lots of good things about the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro, which is probably the closest thing to what I’m looking for that I’ve seen so far. That being said, I’m not entirely sure it offers exactly what I want in terms of tactile feedback.

The Vita does have like… the second best d-pad of all time (go Saturn) so it might be a thing, I’d absolutely LOVE if I could somehow mod my PS3 controllers to have a Vita or Saturn like d-pad.

Get an old PSX pad. Scrape off the carbon contacts that the old rubber plungers used. Solder tact switches directly to the PCB. Then, fill the buttons where the rubber plungers fit with epoxy for a solid actuator to engage the tact switches.

The Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro is a great controller. It is by no means perfect, but it feels great to use. However, if the clicky-tactile feel is specifically what you’re looking for, then it won’t fit with your criteria.

On a related note, I’m with you on the whole tactile D-pad thing: I’ve loved them since the days of the GBA SP. :slight_smile: