Any Raytracers out there?

Hey dudes. So i was wondering, It looks like Photoshop is a pretty prominent image app 'round here, i don’t do that, but i do raytrace. Raytracing, for those of you who don’t know, is a kind of 3D modeling, and it calculates the image based on the movement of photons, or something like that. im actually kind of unclear on how a raytracer works. also, a raytracer will let you create incredibly detailed/realistic pictures. after this posts, i’m gunna post a pic i did on the post your work thread, so if you’re curious, you can check it out.

so anybody out there do it?

(the raytracer that i use can be found at www.povray.org )

a raytraced image. Yes, it IS computer generated. there was a competition for raytracing, this is 1st place

damn!!! that shit looks serious:eek:

heh, that it is. oh, i forgot to mention. it’s all in code. there’s no graphical user interface, you gotta think about it, think in 3 dimentions, ect. example, the code to make a cylinder…

cylinder{
<-1, 0, 0 >
<1, 0, 0 >
pigment { color Black }
}

which would make a cylinder, starting at that point, a radius of 3, and black.

Downloaded it…and tried it…it’s confusing as shiet!

Yeah, I used to do some very simple raytracing with POV-Ray years ago… now I just stick to 3dsm’s mental ray and Cinema4D.

You can get GUI front-ends for POV-Ray you know.

How long did it take you to create that image? :eek:

I’ve done full renders with POV-Ray. Love that stuff but don’t have the time for it anymore. It’s so nice though - now I’m learning AutoCAD as its similar in being done with code while more purposeful in that Im an architect major.

Just looked at the above render. That was more than likely done with additional plugins to go with POV-Ray.

For the best 3D tutorials check out:
http://www.3dlinks.com

They have a section on both POV-Ray and Blender

Blender like POV-Ray is freeware except its a graphical user interface and much more similar to 3DStudioMax and Maya. Personally I like POV-Ray better.

I only got a temp version. :frowning: Pretty confusing as hell. I can’t figure nothing out. :confused:
I’ll keep trying, though…

=dave=, I didn’t make that. i wish i could. that probably took him a good 3 or 4 months of straight work. a shit long time. he prolly used textures he developed over the years, like if i want to make something, that’s felt, i already made a felt pool table, so i just copy/paste the texture, and i can use it. but that’s damn impressive

soul, it’s confusing shit, i know. a tutorial comes with, do that, and you’ll get the hang of it. if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or somethin’ i also lurk on AIM.