Any tips on anti-airing on reaction?

I play ken and I know mp shoryu is the way to go, but I just can’t do it on reaction during a match. I have to be anticipating a jump and basically buffer the inputs to successfully pull it off. I see people jumping at me ALL the time and I know as a shoto character I should be teaching them not to but my reactions are too slow…

How did you guys learn to do this on reaction & what inputs do you use? Shortcut or regular?

The only way to get better at antiairing is by just getting more game experience and actively look out for jump ins and knowing situations where someone would probably jump at you. I had a problem with that when I was newer too but it eventually just becomes second nature.

notice the distance when people are more likely to jump and using the correct anti-air.

This is important.

There are very specific ranges where jump-ins will connect. For some characters, they can land a jump-in at tip range, and that’s all they get, no combo afterwards.

When you’re playing footsies, it usually means you’re close enough and primed to be jumped in on! You have to keep that option in the back of your head.

With a Shoryuken, you want to do it as late as possible to take advantage of the invincibility frames. I’d suggest using the d, d/f, d, d/f shortcut (or you can hold d/f, then d, d/f) as it keeps your hitbox low.

Remember also that you have normals like cl. HP, st. HP, cr. HP, st. LK, nj. HP and nj. HK. You have to learn the timing for these as they’re more situational, but using a button as anti-air instead of a special move is very easy to do when you know the correct conditions for it to work.

simply go into training mode and set the dummy to jump in on you and do the antiair depending on range. It will take a while but you are training your hands to react to something you see. Right now you see the jump happen, you think “i should anti air” but by the time you process that thought the moment is lost. But if you see thousands of jump ins and you anti air them in practice, you will have trained your hands to act before you think about it.

In my opinion i don’t think this is a very good way of learning how to react to jump because coms just keep jumping and you can just do shoryuken every second and you will most likely get a hit because hes only jumping. A good method that i just made but altering this is to instead use the record feature on the training mode and make the CPU jump dash back and/or forth then jump again. Then stop the recording and use the playback feature now try to shoryuken the com it should be a bit harder but its better than the last method (No offense Jason.).

That’s a good way to start, but eventually you’ll pick up on the pattern. You’ll anti-air on prediction rather than reaction, because training dummy does the same sequence before he jumps.

The best way is to turn on computer to the highest setting and just focus purely on AAing the jump ins. They’ll all do it eventually. Devote the majority of your focus on spotting and stopping jump ins.

The same thing can be applied during a live match.

I would like to offer another suggestion, Im not the best SF player but I have been able to reach 2400 pp with Sagat and my specialty is definitely my anti air and zoning. The way I got my anti air on point was setting the computer to record blanka doing ex blanka balls at varying times. Then I use sagat who has a 5 frame dp instead of a 3 and I start from down back so I am in a safe position and do the full dp motion which is essential to learn for any fighting games. If you successfully dp him out of the blanka ball or cant and block one shoot a blocked tiger shot at him
to put him at an adequate range to react to. Only have him do 3 or so blanka balls in the 10 second limit so he isnt rapid fire. If you can master this and you lool for anti airs in a match, youre reactions will be ready.

Consider this…

I stand in front of you in real life and say “defend yourself” Then I kick you in the nuts. You fall to the ground, writhing in pain. I laugh.

Now, consider this.

I stand in front of you and say “I’m going to kick you in the nuts, defend yourself” You easily move out of the way and slap me like a pimp.

What’s the difference? The difference is that in the first situation you had no idea what I was going to do. In the second one you knew exactly what was coming. This is how you anti-air.

Reaction time and being able to do a DP against “random” jump ins is certainly a skill that comes from plain old practicing but you’d be surprised at how few jump ins are actually random. Limit your opponent’s options, keep him out with pokes/footsies, chuck plasma at him… if he can’t get in on the ground, he is going to jump. Since you know he is going to jump, it’s waaaaaaaaay easier to react to it. It feels like it’s slow motion.

Try playing Guile for a month. A lot of his game is anti-airing and it would force you to learn the timing and spacing.

An important part of antiairing is also adjusting your gameplan to when people are jumpy (online you can often assume they will be). Watch out for it at first and if they continue to not respect your antiairs, then prioritize it over your ground game and continue to punish them until they learn. Practice buffering shoryuken in situations where you might get jumped at (whiff a cr.mk, see they jumped, antiair), backdashes, if they late jump over a fireball, everything, and train yourself to watch out in as many scenarios as you can. Every time you backdash, watch if he jumped etc… The better the player, the less predictable they will be and that in turn makes it harder to react if they jump to catch you off guard (fighting games in a nutshell), but recognizing their playstyle early helps against anyone and eventually it will be more natural and you can focus more on other things without sacrificing opportunities to antiair. Everyone gets caught sometimes though, just don’t let it get to you. Make a mental note of when they jump and watch out for it. Anticipation helps a lot and that comes with time and dedicated practice, no way around it!

Sounds like the OP might need some more practice with the SRK motion as well.

http://kayin.pyoko.org/?p=2047