Anyone know of a common ground Dreamcast controller with no lag?

I’ve got an official Sega controller (which supposedly has trigger lag) and a Performance Astropad (which doesn’t appear to be common ground). I’ve read that some of the Mad Catz Dreampads are common ground and some are not; is there a way of knowing before I buy it off Ebay? Are there any other Dreamcast controllers that are known to be common ground with no lag?

The Agetec PCB is perfect. It also requires little to no soldering depending on what you wanna do with it. A sanwa/seimitsu modded Agetec is the best stick you will ever find for Dreamcast.

All the dreampads I’ve had have been common ground…

I have an agetec pcb that I am looking to get rid of as I just bought it for the case…

What colors have they been? I’ve read that the white ones are common ground and the transparent colored ones are not. There are tons of them on Ebay for dirt cheap, but I don’t know of any way to know for sure if the pad is common ground before buying it.

I’ve also heard talk of shorting the analog trigger sensors on the official Sega Dreamcast pad to eliminate the frame of lag, is there any truth to that?

^Not true. I hacked one of the translucent blue ones and it was common. They’re really easy to solder, but why not just go with an EMS converter?

What’s an EMS converter?

I’ve got an agatec PCB that I’m not using. I would send it for free but I live in the UK so unless you happen to as well it’s probably not gonna happen.

I’ve been seeing the Agetec PCB’s around a lot lately (apparently lots of people are using the case for other things); would it be possible to still use VMU’s with the Agetec PCB? Perhaps by gutting the VMU port from another Dreamcast controller and wiring it to the Agetec PCB?

I’m in the US; how much would shipping be?

Check on the shmups.com boards or the neo-geo.com boards. People build superguns over there, and the agetecs are popular to mod for use for them.

Like I said in my pm, I’ve bought some from Ebay and they’ve been mostly common ground. I don’t think I’ve even bought a non-common ground yet.

I have gotten dark blue-clear (with solid gray back) and that was common. I also got neon-green/yellow, and that was also common.

This one should probably be common, as it looks ilke the dark blue with gray back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Mad-Catz-Dream-Pad-Controller-Dreamcast-NEW_W0QQitemZ350069969177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item350069969177&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Ahh! I just modded my agetec case and took out the pcb, then cut the prongs for the vmu hook up… oh well.

I’ve got a Performance Astropad gutted, so maybe I could still use that PCB by wiring the AstroPad’s VMU port to it…

The Agetec sticks already have VMU support. And you can just rip the case off of a VMU and put it in the stick and it would probably still take up less space than a controller PCB.
Regarding Agetec cases, they are the best cases you are gonna get for 20ish dollars (which is why after modding my Dreamcast Agetec I had to get another case to build a PS3 stick inside.)

If I buy a MadCatz pad and it turns out to not be common ground, what’s the easiest way to make it common ground, and would it have any lag as a result?

Does anyone have any Agetec PCBs that they’re willing to sell? I’m in search of 4.

So where did this notion of official DC controllers having trigger lag come from? I remember reading somewhere, when this topic came up, that stuff like Zangief’s Lariat wasn’t reliable because of this? Out of curiosity/disbelief I soldered X, Y, and the Right Trigger hall effect sensor pin indicated on the SlagCoin guide together and Zangief’s Lariat (MvsC2) worked 100% of the time.

Unless there is gross lag (which I am unable to detect, just playing a game) the only real way to prove lag would be for someone to write a homebrew program for the DC that would sample the button inputs and display response time differences between button presses in milliseconds. With all punch buttons tied together as I described above, said program could tell us how much extra time it takes for the system to register analog trigger activation over a digital button press. It can be assumed that the controller’s ADC is going to take a bit more time to process the analog sample, but my wager is that it’s a delay far too small for a human to detect.
-ud