Anyone make pads?

dunno if this is the right place the post this but it seemed appropriate. I’m trying to get together a pad design in mind that I want someone to build for me. once I’ve decided everything it needs, I need someone to build it for me. I want to build ONE (or maybe 2?) pads so that I can use them myself in tourneys; I’m not looking to mass and sell them. I want to know if there’s anyone out there who can build gamepads. I don’t know much about the whole pad and stick building thing, but talked to a friend of mine just now and he says that building a stick is way simpler than building a pad. I had no idea.

So I’m asking now before I get my hopes up: anyone out there make pads? how much would something like this even cost?

comfortable ergonomic pads are harder and more expensive to make one offs. Basically for professional product design, they can spend a few hundred to a few thousand for a working prototype, because they will eventually be making a million of them and want to get all the kinks worked out in the prototype phase. Mostly the cost of molding plastic parts for prototypes is most expensive and also making custom pcbs.

Check out Ben Heckendorn and his access controller designed for one handed people . One of the better ideas I’ve seen.

agree with the above, prototype is gonna cost you arm and leg.

If you have a market of less than ten thousands, don’t even bother.

Sorry, my post was unintentionally misleading I realize. I’ll fix that now.

I recall my buddy working on a bike helmet. I think they spent about $10,000 to make the first few, of which they slammed against the wall at high speed. lol. That isn’t including people’s salary.

hey i was wondering an idea similar to the op

could you take a preexisting gamepad (say for the 360) and make the bumper buttons trigger both ‘x’ and ‘y’ at the same time? so no matter what in whatever game, when pressing the left bumper, it will trigger x,y, and pressing the right bumper will tribber a,b.

should that be a simple soldering task?

Thinking about it partially, it could be pretty difficult. It would require that you remove the connection from the potentiometer from the soldering points for the trigger signal. Then you would have run wire from the potentiometers to the buttons, using diodes to make sure that the trigger activates both buttons at once. There might be other things needed, if Toodles sees this, he would be able to elaborate on how much difficulty this project would entail, and whether everything you need to tack on could actually fit in any controller casing.

Go to a college where they teach an industrial design program. Either approach a student or a professor with a project idea. Final year students usually have to design a concept from the ground up. They might not be able to get you the pad made but they have tools to make very accurate mock ups.

Hope this helps.

dammit. this is starting to sound really damn hard to do.

thx FreezerB, that’s a good idea I think.

edit: something I was wondering, is a costume made controller allowed at Evo? this was the main reason I wanted it. but I know some tourneys ban modded or custom controllers

edit2: wtf costume made? meant custom…

Easy to do if you’re decent with soldering and its a common ground wireless pad (there are different revisions of the 360 wireless controller; most older versions would be very difficult), but soldering to a wireless 360 pad isn’t the easiest thing to do. So soldering it takes some skill, but the design/implementation is easy:
Four diodes needed. Small, cheap diodes of any kind will work. Connect the anode end of the diodes to the signal lines of the A, B, X, and Y buttons. Take the cathode end of the X and Y diodes, and solder them both to the LB signal line. Take the cathode end of the A and B diodes and solder them both to the RB signal line. Done.

Anyone who has done any kind of pad hacking on 360 controllers should be able to handle this just fine. Im sorry, but Im not available to do mods, so use these directions to find someone who can.

OP, these cost estimates of $10k+ are not exaggerations.

Oh god yes they are. If you want to play on a DDR pad, go for it. The only restriction is that the controller can’t play for you; no use of hardware macros or turbo or anything that couldn’t be done on a standard controller. (which really makes me want to ask about the analog stick for charge characters bug, but w/e.)

…XD

this is actually an EXTREMELY interesting idea. I mean, I’ve never played DDR before in my life, but I imagine that must be extremely fun. dude, you might have just gave me a brilliant idea. Think a DDR pad could do it?

edit: from the looks of it, no :sad: still, brilliant idea, love that thought.

i would kill for a youtube vid of someone playing SF4 on a DDR pad. I would pay money for someone to nail an ultra without button mapping too.

Bonus money for doing Sagat’s Tiger Uppercut>FADC>F.RH>Ultra.

I’m not that crazy or rich yet. but if I ever do get that way, I’ll definitely make a thread about it or post a vid or something

This is stupid hard but I’m going to try it as soon as I unbox my DDR pad.

If you are good in art you can use Super Sculpey (clay) and make your own pad.
When baked, this stuff is hard as plastic. Buy some small SANWA Buttons or whatever an solder them to any controller PCB :slight_smile:

You also can use silicone molds and resin to copy your design with ease.
Look at this:
http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

That is what I am going to do soon, creating my own Balrog figure :slight_smile:
A Pad with 8 seperate pieces on the D-Pad could kick ass. If you succeed, you can sell this design to the industry :smiley:

Don’t make a pad, make a hybrid controller. Normal joystick style buttons for one part and a detached remote stick thing with a saturn d-pad for movement. Think kind of like a wii controller attacked to a joystick.

Other possibility:

build a small wooden box holding that for directions:

and small buttons, maybe 18 mm or less for … buttons

It’s a project I’ve been meaning to do for a long time but still haven’t started.

odd idea, seems effective. I don’t understand it that well though, but it seems like you’re getting at where I want to be.

One thing I was thinking about is that the dpad is ineffective as hell. I don’t know why. I thought of making them buttons instead, but I don’t think it’d be effective because of the nature of the pad. So right now I’m thinking something like PS2’s dual shock should work just fine, cept it should be more accurate and sensitive. it has that american stick feel to it where you gotta go the maximum length to get any kind of response, and don’t like that shit.

edit: So basically, PS2 dual shock controller would be fine if it were more sensitive. is there a way to increase the sensitivity?

edit 2: nm no it wouldn’t be, I’d be confused by the large range of movement. dual shock stick with little movement and great sensitivity?

You could make one in the style of a SNES bone. http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/images/snespad.JPG

You’d have to get a block of wood, route out the bottom of the controller, make all the button holes on top. If it were me, I’d use 12mm buttons for the directions and buttons. It won’t be exactly like a controller’s dpad but it will be similiar. I don’t think it would be that difficult but I still think a retail controller would probably feel better.

Im a senior student at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Industrial Design with a minor in Interaction Design. Ive done plenty of modeling and prototyping, and i would say it wouldnt be hard to make a prototype of a custom gamepad, but it would take awhile for you to figure out what you would really like…For instance, ergonomically, I would create several mock ups just to see what would feel right in your hands, then the design of where buttons go and etc…This could take awhile, but then i would say I would 3D model it and grow it (3d print it) and then you would have your case for your gamepad…I could probably also grow the buttons and etc as well, but wiring and making sure the thing works is a different story…so basically to sum it up

1. Sketch models to figure out the form you want

2. Sketching possible designs and revisions to sketch models

3. 3D Modeling in Rhino, or I could handcraft something, which would be incredibly cheaper, but harder to make accurate/symmetrical.

4. 3D print the model.

5. Sanding/Painting/Finishing the model

6. Wiring/electrical components ( which i know vaguely about ).

Making a stick is a lot easier cause all you really need to do is make a box…Controllers are different cause they dont use switches like arcade parts do, so i wouldnt know how to accurately simulate a controller experience…and also to add 3D Printing is really expensive even for small parts…I wouldnt say like a few thousand or anything, but for 1 or 2, you’re gonna spend atleast a few hundred i think, I can get an estimate if you’re really interested cause my school has a few machines…otherwise if you wanted a handcrafted one, I would use either REN (high density foam, its basically as hard as wood), or just wood…which would cost a lot cheaper but i would jus charge more on labor fee :stuck_out_tongue: but yea, the biggest challenge is the wiring part and trying to get that sensitivity down (at least in my perspective, the model would be easier to make).