Anyone run MAME on a Raspberry Pi 3?

I’ve got Cave shmups on my OG Xbox and that run good, I really like Ketsui

One thing I would point out regarding investing money in an emulation setup is that are you going to actually play it or just make it for the sake of it

I had my Xbox lying around so I never actually bought it for MAME, and although I did use it regularly for a couple years, I now only game in my living room on the big screen and so anything I liked on MAME I actually bought for PS3, Ketsui cost me ¥6800 around $65 from the Japanese psn store, but I actually play it regularly, whereas I never touched it on the og Xbox because of going in another room and connecting it up

The point is get something you will definitely use not just collect dust

Oh I plan on using this bro. I have the Cave Shooting Collection on 360, I’m simply trying to see the limits of Mame and a Pi 3, that’s all I can think of, Cave’s 2D hardware from like the early/mid 2000’s, as the last oldschool 2D hardware and it was pretty powerful, what runs Mushihimesama Futari and such. I’m wondering how that emulates, because if that emulates then I know everything prior to that will be 100%.

If you wanna know what this Pi 3 project is. I’m taking a Sega Genesis USB Hub, and making a “Genesis Mini”, and sticking a Pi 3 in there. It’s almost too perfect as it has 4 USB inserts, and enough space to fit. Something that fits in your pocket that you can whip out anywhere and be ready to play some 4-player beatumups, any fighting game, I mean, to me that’s just the coolest thing to me perfect for parties or any situation. Oh so you have an NES Mini bro? Check this out lol.

Based on my research Pi 3 is more powerful than my laptop lol. It can -almost- run Naomi/DC stuff (not quite but the fact it even runs is impressive to me), PSP emulation seems good, that blows my mind, so this is well beyond modding an Xbox, the Future is Now! Haha.

My Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie runs a lot of MAME stuff well.

All the classic Konami, Sega, and Capcom Arcade stuff run nicely.

You say a lot, what are the limits? What doesn’t run well? How about say, Sega Model 2 games (examples: Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, House of the Dead),Sega System 32 (Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder), Titan (which is Saturn based thus requires quite a bit, examples: Radiant Silvergun, Decathalete) PS1 based: Tekken 1-2, Namco System 22 (Tekken 3, Soul Calibur). What about Killer Instinct 2? What about Taito SH2 based stuff like RayForce, Darius Gaiden, SH3 Cave stuff like Mushihimesama Futari? Alot of this won’t run on a modded Xbox for example.

Also I’m only doing this if the emulation is full speed. I can’t tolerate frameskips, screen tearing etc.

My Pi3b runs everything in FBA-Libretro on this list perfectly fine. Take a look… You might be surprised.

To remove guess work on compatibility you’ll need to think bigger…
I see a cheap PC, some decent emulators and LaunchBox in your future :wink:

Cave is re-releasing a bunch of their shmups on Steam too.

These are older builds of mame, 2003 and 2010. Runs a ton of stuff great but, not model 1/2/3 arcade games or recent stuff in the 2000s. The PSOne emulator works fantastic and i have a ton of those shooters on it.

Totally worth it. Retropie is easy as hell to install and effectively turns the Raspberry Pi 3 into a full-fledged game console, and you never have to touch a mouse or keyboard past the initial set-up. Everything can be controlled through gamepad. Like a PC, it seems to work with nearly every USB controller fine. Although it says a 64GB Micro SD card is the limit, i’ve used a 128GB Micro SD on mine from the beginning and never had problems. Built-In WiFi lets you connect to your comp wirelessly and upload stuff using FTP programs like Filezilla, which is pretty awesome (Although you can always use the USB drive method for fast loading of large files).

Got a sweetass case for mine too. The Zebra Case:

MAME is a terrible, out dated emulator.

My Favorite Emulator

So far, playing with
[] emulation station
] retro pi
[] retroarch
] …

i have found in my research, the most scalable, modable, maintainable has been
you can download all the cores you want through their online updater

[] Capcom CPS-1
] Capcom CPS-2
[*] Capcom CPS-3

the Pi3, even Zero do a pretty good job

This is my case

Holy fucking shit. Link please. Right now!

3D printer cases
From Tindie

Those look nice, but I’m a sucker for SEGA :wink:

Just in case you didn’t find it

Thanks! I’ve been busy watching vids of guys installing Pi 3’s and Pi Zeros into this hub. Man it is tempting!

I have a real issues with lakka

neogeo games run perfectly fine but… cps2 games have tons of input delay (tho speed is kinda ok)

any suggestions? :frowning:

What Pi?
2, 3, zero

I run on a 3 with a 128GB card no problems

I have not messed with Lakka but, if it’s anything like Retropie or Recallbox, then there are several emulators pre-packed that you can use.

For example, CPS1 stuff runs great on my Retropie’s mame but if they didn’t? I could always try to play them using the FBA Emu, which itself comes with two EMU engines i can select between.

Also unlike CPS1, CPS2 stuff doesn’t seem to work at all in my Mame. So i have them playing using FBA instead. Which one of the FBA engines doesn’t work but, the other does, and works very well.

So try a different emulator.

It’s always been terrible even when it was new, nothing’s changed it’s lazy, but the problem is there are almost as many different pieces of arcade hardware as there are games. Go dedicated emulator when you can Mame when you can’t.

Just type:

Sega Genesis USB hub.

They’re only 20$ too, it’s amazing.

These look like shit no offense.

Plus you need a 4 slot USB hub anyways for a Pi Emulator machine.

The Genesis USB hub is the same size as the NES mini, matches the quality and just so happens to perfectly JUST fit the Pi3. I think Sega knows something.

It’s not the greatest but, Mame is a Good emulator that plays countless games very well. And when it comes to programs that try to be a jack-of-all-trades? It’s easily the among the best in that regard.

I don’t get Darksakul’s irrational hate-boner for it.