Arcade Edition Match Up: Cammy

guy

What do we know about Cammy?

In every iteration of SF4, Cammy has been a dominant force. Her multi-lateral forms
of attack, namely Cannon Strike, give her much advantage over most of the cast.
Up close, she has superior frame traps, high priority normals and easy setups that
can make quick work over most of the cast. However, if Cammy is on the opposite
end of the spectrum, Guy poses even more of a threat than the Killer Bee.

What can I learn about Cammy?

All of Cammy’s frame data can be found on the SRK Wiki.
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE/Cammy

For undocumented changes and discussion, please check out this thread in the Cammy forums:

What should I be doing?

For the most part, you should be staying in footsie range. st.MK and cr.MP
stuffs all of her pokes as long as you do it first. This also allows you to telegraph
all of her jump angles. Beware of Spiral Arrow, as it hits low and is a free soft
knockdown for Cammy setups. EX Kaiten Izuna beats all of her jump options as long as
you stay in st.MK range. Bushin Flip gets beat by cl.HP from anywhere on the
screen, so rarely use as a desperation gap closer. The objective is
to bully Cammy into the corner. Once you have established footsie
dominance, it’s time to go in.

Study and practice using the Ground Normals section of OTinhoso’s Guy Tutorial as a reference.

What should I be aware of?

-cr.MK

If you are closer than st.MK range, it’s easy to get tagged by this move.
It can be buffered into Spiral Arrow.

-st.HK

Cammy’s highest damage poking tool. Eating too many of these will give her
the life lead, forcing you to make risky decisions to get damage.

-Spiral Arrow

It’s fast. It hits low. It knocks down, which sets her up for her mix up game.

-Cannon Strike

Most would consider Cammy to be one of the best characters because of this move.
The EX version beats most crouch tech maneuvers and is plus on block, giving her
another mix up opportunity. There is virtually no way to know whether to crouch tech
or eat a throw. However, like with Rufus’ Dive Kick, Guy can crouch tech late with MP
and beat both options. It must be perfect though to beat any other frame trap.

Cammy Specific

Combos:
cr.MP(counter hit), st.MK, cr.MP, TCxxRun~Slide

cr.HP, TCxxRun~Slide

Knockdown Setups:
Run~Slide, Ninja Sickle, cr.MP (Beats all Cannon Spikes meaty)

(Mid screen only)
Back Throw, frame step forward.HK, j.HK
(Crosses up but must be blocked the opposite way. Cannon Spike will always either get stuffed or never auto correct)

Back Throw, cr.MK, j.HP (Safe jump)

Summary

Cammy can’t gain momentum if she is stuck trying to get past your wall of normals.
Do not back pedal. Be patient and stand your ground. If she jumps and you anti air her,
doesn’t mean that she wont jump again. Stay grounded and be prepared for the jumps.
Push her to the corner, bait her uppercut and punish hard.

You all are more than welcome to add or update information about this match up. If anything
I mentioned is incorrect, feel free to let me know.

I started playing Cammy not too long ago so I hope to add some useful info here.

Punishes
[LIST]
[]MK/HK Spiral Arrow: If you block it and she’s next to you, do anything. U2 if you have it full for max damage.
[
]Canon Strike: if the block spark is at your head, you can punish with reversal U2. Refer to this chart.[1]
[]EX Canon Strike: If she does this above your head, nj. attack, back jump HK, or TK Izuna. If she does it close to your head and is next to you, aforementioned works as well as HP and HK. All of these have risk so you must know it’s coming or have incredible reactions to beat it cleanly.
[/LIST]
Cammy’s Offense
[LIST]
[
]LK/MK Spiral Arrow can be safe if distanced from roughly half screen away. It does not have frame advantage on block; in fact, it is negative (-2 or -3 I believe). Rather it is the perfect distance she pushes you away to avoid all attacks and reversals. Some Cammys might even throw a Canon Spike afterwards further limiting your options.
[]She can link counter-hit cr.HP into Ultra 1. Be aware of this.
[
]Some Cammy players do not properly hit confirm their Spiral Arrow, or miss a link and go straight into SA. Just be aware that most good players will FADC backwards out of a blocked HK SA.
[*]She has an air throw. If you’re being predictable with your jumps, especially during blockstring sequences, you will get thrown.
[/LIST]

I can’t add much other than I think Ultra 2 is best for this matchup. It’s especially hurtful for the Cammy player since she has below average health. If you get knocked down, look out for a fake-crossup Cannon Strike that hits you too high. If you block it, you can Ultra 2 for free.

You’ll also be able to punish some Spiral Arrows that other characters can’t, thanks to Ultra 2’s [S]2-frame[/S] 1-frame startup. I’m not sure what the exact data on a meaty/late LK Spiral Arrow is though (see Eso’s post above), so there might be some spaced LK Spiral Arrows that are completely safe for her.

Cammy has a wakeup speed that is 1-frame slower than most of the cast. This means the run.Slide n.jump safejump setup completely whiffs on her which can make applying pressure on her more difficult after you get that knockdown. Either delay the jump and choose to empty jump or not, or apply ground pressure.

[quote=“SeriousStu, post: 7565843, member: 22946” Ultra 2’s 2-frame startup. I[/quote]

Ultra 2 is a 1 frame Ultra now, it got a secret buff, so it now catches safe jumps even if they decided to empty jump.

Wot! Didn’t know that… I knew it could catch safe jumps but didn’t know it got that buff. Cheers for the heads up - I’ll edit my post.

General Info against Cammy: 1. Run Slide, Neutral Jump Attack, Back Dash will make Cammy’s Up-Kick whiff on wake up. Also Bushin Flip, Forward Jump, Back Dash and Throw, Forward Dash twice, Forward Jump then Back Dash. 2. You can use ANY version of Hozanto into Ultra 1 without using meter in the corner because Cammy’s fall is floaty. (you must use Ex Hozanto at max range because it will make her float a little higher). 3. Whiff Punishing crMp buffered into Ex Hozanto, Ex Hozanto works if your close to the corner. 4. CrLk, crLp, Bushin Chain into Back Throw whiffs. 5. Low Tatsu only hits twice in the corner also Ninja Sickle into Fierce Tatsu does not work in the corner. 6. Cammy’s Up-Kick can be Focused depending on the situation, because it only hits once.

Safe Jump Attack: Most of Guy’s safe jump attacks require the use of meter. Your 1 goal is to push Cammy in the corner, but along the way try to save at least two stocks of meter. 1. (any where) Run Slide, FADC, Back Dash, Forward Jump Attack while holding Back. Depending on your distance you can also Cross-up Cammy with R.S. especially in the corner. 2. (mid-screen only) After the Third Hit of Ex Tatsu, Forward Jump Attack while holding Back. Example; Target Combo into Ex Tatsu, Forward Jump Attack. If Cammy doesn’t Tech you can immediately Neutral Jump Attack or do Ex Bushin Flip for an uncrouchable. 3. (corner only) Finish your combo with Hozanto or Ex Tatsu, then Neutral Jump Attack or Forward Jump Attack while holding Back. Again if Cammy doesn’t Tech you can get another shot by immediately doing Neutral Jump Attack or doing Forward Jump Attack while holding Back. Meter Management is especially important in this match up because Guy can gain momentum with the use of meter.

Frame Trap: crHp (on block), then immediately do crMp buffered into Ex Hozanto. Can stuff All of Cammy’s Normal Up-Kick’s and whiff against Cammy’s Ex Up-Kick. Also Run Slide, Forward Dash, Back Dash crMp can stuff Cammy’s Up-Kick’s on wake up.

Safe Jump Attack Throw Set-ups: 1. (mid-screen only) Forward Throw, Back Dash, Forward Dash, Forward Jump Attack. Another version of that set-up: Forward Throw, Forward Dash, Back Jump, instant Wall Jump with Attack. 2. (mid-screen only) Forward Throw, Forward Jump, crLk, Forward Jump Attack. Good for Cross-up’s. 3. Back Throw, Back Dash, Forward Jump Attack. 4. (corner only) Forward Throw, Back Dash, Forward Dash, Neutral Jump Attack or Forward Jump Cross-up Attack.

High Damaging Combos: 1. (anywhere, meterless) Close stHk, crMp, Target Combo into Run Slide: 312 damage - 482 stun. Another version of that combo is: Jump-in Fierce, stHk, crMp, Target Combo into Run Slide; 377 damage - 636 stun. 2. (corner only, requires two meters) Close stHk, crMp, Target Combo into Ex Hozanto, Ex Tatsu: 393 damage - 617 stun. Another version of that combo is: Jump-in Fierce, stHk, crMp, Target Combo into Ex Hozanto, Ex Tatsu: 442 damage - 746 stun.

Close stMp into instant Run Stop is Safe from Cammy’s Up-kicks on Block. Also Guy’s stMp beats Cammy’s Sweep on Block. If she does a meaty sweep you can connect Target Combo or just do Ex Tatsu.

First point is pretty moot since it’s very unlikely that Cammy’s natural reaction to a single st.mp will be to mash DP, and it’s also hard to react to a single blocked hit with a DP input. The second scenario will never happen, since Cammys don’t ever use sweep outside of combos… literally. If she’s going to hit you low on oki it’s going to be either a cr.lk string or a meaty spiral arrow, which is usually in the -2 to +1 range.

I didn’t want to post in anything anti-cammy but someone said to me “cammy was cheap and guy can’t stop her” I asked them why there reply was her dive kicks and her wake up game…The answer was simple she lacks a armor breaks so after her wake up/reversal window use ex run stop if you think Cannon Spike you will get a “FREE” ultra 2 she will be open, a risk you have to take to get her to use her ultra or meter on wake up.

During her cannon Strike/cross up gimmicks/pressure you need to use meter or block/tech alot. If you have 1 meter after and you get knocked down plz don’t use ex kick if you are no 100% sure she is at the peak of her jump I think ex run stop/slide you get a knockdown,away or “Free ultra 2”. After playing k-brad/doctor chaos(ken) at my first tournament and another cammy player who was just as good k-brad I learned(very fast)if you don’t force players to think about dp options you give them 100% comfort zone to do what they want.

But… But… … All reversals break armor. Even spiral arrow. Or what u are saying is to ex run… Then stop before reversal cannon spike as bait? Free punish?

depends on the jump from cammy and the player habits you will find when to use all ex runs. ex run stop is can cancel into ultra2 ex run slide can hit before she lands if the dive kick was high cammys ex instant divekick you need to block her options are still there but you can stop her standing and jumping game reversals will armor break use ex run as a bait.

I wouldn’t risk EX Run on wakeup, Cammy still has a DP and it does break on reversal, if she has meter stocked that’s pretty much free damage for her, which will most likely count as CH so its even more damage waiting for you.

@ Teyah, yeah but most Guy players have to use Target Combo into Run Stop to make Run Stop Safe. Also close stMp into RS puts you closer to your opponent giving you a better Throw mix-up opportunity. Secondly, I have played many Cammy’s (good ones) who would use crHk in range for me to punish on block. ‘Knowledge is power’.

Good Cammys? no sane cammy will ever use naked sweep.

crmk range > sweep. its that bad! what the fuck am i reading in this thread. step up your game Guy players. :tup:

^ No thats not the point. ‘Its okay to know that any sane Cammy won’t do that, but thats not why I posted’. As I previously stated, knowledge is power.