Arcade Edition Match Up: Cody

guy

Few things to know about Cody:
-Hits hard and has great damage/stun potential
-Good footsie game but his zoning game is useless against Guy when you have meter.
-Has tools to AA Guy
-**Bad **wake up and reversal game must take risks if he doesn’t have 3 bars.
:However if he does EX Zonk against your EX tatsu, he recovers sooner for a full punish:
-His walk has increased in AE due to faster walkspeed. It’s probably average now.
-All his special moves can be punished with st mp/TC unless they are FADC’d or spaced properly.
-If Cody has U2, any FADC backdash from you is a risk. Cody gets a free U2 everytime, if he sees it.

Take note of this all. To understand what kind of character Cody will be for Guy as the matchup is going to be all about being offensive and who has the momentum of the match. So if you get the upper hand, keep it for as long as you can. Remember you and Cody have to be in each others face to pose any type of a threat since Cody’s rocks aren’t going to do him much good.

His Frame Data
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2010/may/06/codys-frame-data-super-street-fighter-4/

[INDENT=1][FONT=Helvetica]Here are Capcom’s final documented changes for Cody in AE 2012:[/FONT][/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]http://i.imgur.com/mba5K.png[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]For undocumented changes and discussion, please check out this thread in the Cody forums:[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]http://forums.shoryuken.com/t/cody-vers-2012-changes/132448[/INDENT]

I use EH just because it details notes for his moves.

Getting in on Cody:
Play footsies

Cody has great normals and so do you, Cody’s best pokes are his st mk, cr lk, his standing heavies, and f mp. Learn the range of his st mk and st hk, that’s where you’ll want to be when engaging in a footsie battle. He’ll also use his focus attack sparingly as it does have some good range. Cody can AA you easily with his jawbreaker, st hk, HK ruffian, and cr mk. (he can sometimes use nj HP but that’s a risky attempt for a KD.) So I highly advise not to jump in on Cody as you would be giving him the advantage, though he also can’t jump in on you. So use cr mk, cr mp, Izuna whatever you want as his go-to AAs to get Cody out of the sky. His Rocks should give you no trouble they are projectiles EX Runslide.

Normals to use: St Mp, St mk, St hp, cr mp, cr mk, cr hk (spaced),
St HK can be used but you may have better options.

(Kreymore input)
Cr mk can be used against Cody if he is using cr mk or Crack Kick often.

Pressuring Cody:
MIX IT UP.

Cody does have a 3 frame short and its range is good (hitbox ends just before his foot). His cr mk does have a low profile status and will blow up a lot of your mix up game with Bushin Flip elbow and Run overhead if you become predictable. You’re going to have to use frame traps, throws to keep him honest and mix it in with FADC hozantos. This will probably aggravate him and may also cause him to use a reversal which you’re going to want him to get frustrated to make mistakes or waste meter…

(Pedro’s input)
If I can say something, I wouldn’t use cr. :hp: as a frame trap against Cody, as he has a 3 frame cr. :lk:. Against him, I have the feeling that st. :hp:, cl. st. :mk: and target combo :mp: > :hp: slightly delayed work better for counter hit set ups. Also you can use cr :mp: as a frametrap which leads into another frame trap.

ALWAYS knock him down. Cody’s wake up game is trash. He only has two reversals both require meter and he needs 3 bars to make them safe. EX Criminal Upper is invincible but only a few frames (1-4) and unthrowable from frames (5-9) before the move become active, so there is enough time to OS and interrupt this move, his only other reversal is EX Zonk, which you can bait him easily to use this, I honestly would suggest OS U1 against Cody when you have meter, as the only thing he can do in that situation is block. So you shouldn’t fear his wake up at all. Just be wary not to OS Slide when he has meter, OS Ultra 1 instead. If you don’t have Ultra you can do a delayed EX tatsu so you’ll hit Cody as he exits his invincibility frames.

What to do against Cody Pressure:
Try not to press a button or crouch tech often against Cody unless you know he is going to grab, his frame traps are disgusting. They lead to big damage and a lot of stun. If you see Cody using rocks during his blockstrings, use MK tatsu or spend bar for EX Run slide., you have some time to react if you aren’t able to react CONTINUE blocking the problem with Cody’s rocks is aside from EX you won’t know which one he used and can easily be setting you up for a frametrap. If he knocks you down just block if you know its a safe jump, if it isn’t a safe jump reversal him if you have meter, try not to backdash often, if Cody has U2 he will probably use that as an OS or MK/EX Ruffian. Cody will normally end his blockstrings either with normals or a LP CU, unless the CU is spaced you can punish Cody with St mp (maybe TC) into Run/slide, but the punish is tight (1frame link) You can also use EX Tatsu if he continues to just frame trap you to keep him honest.

IF Cody manages to get an EX Ruffian kick on you while you are in the corner he may go for an unblockable crossup (EX Ruffian, Fwd dash x2, forward jump HP). The only way to block this is to block just before impact. I’m not sure if Cody has any other unblockables or if they even work on Guy.

[INDENT=1][FONT=Helvetica]Anti-air game :)Eso)[/FONT][/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Cody has good jump in attacks but all of them can be beaten by cr. MP. The timing isn’t too strict; you can hit him as he pushes a button. I found that the timing for his j. HP is a little stricter but it’s not bad at all as long as you’re ready. To deal with his cross ups, you are able to cr. MK him but it requires good timing, right when he is on the other side and hits the button. Overall, you should be beat him out or at worse, trade.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Punishes[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]EX Zonk Knuckle - If you block 2 hits, you can punish with full Bushin Chain. If it’s 1 hit, you can do Target Combo.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Criminal Upper: trying to recognize the different strengths used is hard, but the reward is good. I also think if you block CU while standing you don’t get pushed back as much.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]LP (if full block, 4 hits) - can be punished by st.MP[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]MP (if full block, 5 hits) -punish with TC[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]HP (if full block, 6 hits) - punish with BC

If you feel unsure if TC will hit just do st.MP into Runslide or EX Hozanto[/INDENT]

Final:
I honestly think this match up is slightly in Guy’s favor since Cody has to take more risks than Guy does when he gets knocked down and unless he spaces things correctly Guy can punish him with ease and proper execution. Just stay on top of Cody with your pressure, and always stay in footsie range if he manages to get breathing room. If he is pressuring you get him off of you before you get pushed into the corner, or push/throw him into the corner to turn things around.

Feel free to add anything you may know.

SSF4 Tier List Thread REBOOT Super + AE (Updated: 02-01-09)

Great post as always man!
Thanks!
There is really not too much to add to that, only maybe some Option Seletcs examples that can be used against Cody.
If I can say something, I wouldn’t use cr. :hp: as a frame trap against Cody, as he has a 3 frame cr. :lk:. Against him, I have the feeling that st. :hp:, cl. st. :mk: and target combo :mp: > :hp: slightly delayed work better for counter hit set ups.
I’ll try to add some OS later.
Cheers!

I mentioned he has a 3 frame short but i should have added what not to use for a frame trap. However you forgot cr mp can be used for a frame trap and it would lead to another :smiley:

cr.MK is a good poke vs. Cody. If you see Cody using d.MK and f.HK a lot, Guy’s cr.MK will beat both at mid range.

Cody’s corner unblockable works against Guy.

Appreciate the verification.

Thanks BloodD well needed

kiyo playing few matches vs Cody

Thanks for sharing very nice stuff

hope this helps!
I did one too many roundhouse slides against him…and got easily punished…
so watch out!
[media=youtube]TEODkovIGEo[/media]

Since the match up thread for Cody has the most recent post, I’m going to use it as my guinea pig for the 2012 update. You can just copy the information below the line and paste it into the first post. If you want me to make any changes or have any other suggestions, feel free to let me know.

I plan on doing the same for the rest of the match ups as time progresses. :tup:

Here are Capcom’s final documented changes for Cody in AE 2012:

For undocumented changes and discussion, please check out this thread in the Cody forums:

done.

Thought I might add something I newly discovered today while playing with a buddy in the office. I’m not sure if this is common knowledge, so forgive me if it’s been mentioned in another thread.

I’m not 100% certain what happened, but it seemed that when I followed up my Bushin Combo with Run-Slide, it completely beat his Bad Spray. Now, I thought Bad Spray had a good amount of invincibility, but after this we were beginning to wonder if it had been changed a bit, though we both hadn’t read anything about a change in invincibility frames for that move. It’s possible the startup frames lack invincibility, as the dust didn’t even come out, which would have certainly hit me. I can’t imagine I simply hit him before he hit the ground. If that were the case, I’m sure we would have discovered this ages ago.

I think it’s something worth investigating. If it’s reliable, then with proper timing, Guy should be able to do Bushin Combo, followed up with Run-Slide to beat Bad Spray. If Cody doesn’t perform Bad Spray, Guy should recover quick enough to be able to apply meaty pressure, regardless if Cody performed a quick rise or not. In the case the Run-Slide beats Bad Spray, it’s more than likely we’re hitting Cody with the later active frames, changing the timing of the n.jump safe jump set up. This shouldn’t matter too much though, since Cody doesn’t have any sorta 4-frame reversal.

Was it a regular runslide or EX Runslide also can you get a video?

It was a regular run.slide. After Bushin Combo, I usually immediately perform a forward empty jump (cr.lk immediatly upon landing, into combo of choice). My intention this time was just to get up in his face, but I somehow hit him with the slide. It certainly cause us both by surprise, and I paused the game to discuss what just happened. It happened so quick that he’s not sure if he even got the Bad Spray out at all.

I could try to get it on video, but it won’t be a direct feed… the best I could do is film it with my phone and I’m not sure I’ll have time tonight. If someone else could handle this, that’d be sweet, otherwise I’ll get to it eventually!

i use cr. mp on all his jump ins. cr. mk will get beat by his j.hk…

yo i tested this out and its true, regular run slide will beat it out clean… u even score a CH on him… nice! the timing is a lil funky tho. its not to hard but u have to let guy take like two steps before u cancel into the slide…

I was testing out things against Bad Spray last night too, in an effort to confirm my findings. I don’t know if they really did change anything, or this was just stuff completely unknown to me. I recorded (in Training mode) guy doing cr.LP, cr.LP, Bushin Combo, followed by run.Slide with various different timings. It’s an odd one… sometimes the run.Slide would beat out Bad Spray completely, giving you CH as fresco4eva mentioned. Sometimes, with the exact same setup, Bad Spray would beat the slide! Like, wtf? I’m guessing Bad Spray can be performed late, effecting the timing of everything.

Overall, I’d say the timing on this is pretty strict. A later slide may beat the Bad Spray more easily, but if Cody just quick rises then you’re open to a free combo from him. However, a late EX run.Slide will beat his Bad Spray, and probably hit with such late active frames as to make the move safe (I think! I haven’t tested this yet…).

Anyway, all this was still leaving me curious to just how Cody’s Bad Spray worked. I later tested immediately forward jumping after the Bushin Combo with j.HK. Depending on the timing, it either beats Bad Spray clean, trades, or completely fails and you get hit by the Bad Spray (usually just the one hit). I believe doing the h.HK early increases your chances of beating Bad Spray, but I need to test further. I also had some varying degrees of success with j.MK, particularly in the corner.

Maybe you could add this to the first post. Hopefully it’s useful. If I find more I’ll edit.

Anti-air game
Cody has good jump in attacks but all of them can be beaten by cr. MP. The timing isn’t too strict; you can hit him as he pushes a button. I found that the timing for his j. HP is a little stricter but it’s not bad at all as long as you’re ready. To deal with his cross ups, you are able to cr. MK him but it requires good timing, right when he is on the other side and hits the button. Overall, you should be beat him out or at worse, trade.

Punishes
EX Zonk Knuckle - If you block 2 hits, you can punish with full Bushin Chain. If it’s 1 hit, you can do Target Combo.

Criminal Upper: trying to recognize the different strengths used is hard, but the reward is good. I also think if you block CU while standing you don’t get pushed back as much.
LP (if full block, 4 hits) - can only be punished by cr. LK. Don’t even bother.
MP (if full block, 5 hits) -punish with TC
HP (if full block, 6 hits) - punish with BC

Guy vs Cody u stay mid-range a range close to cody’s c.lk,unsafe ex russian kick so if punishing with st.mp or st.mk will be easy on your reactions this is a 5-5 match up to me annoying your opponent to they feel jumping or a focus attack is needed then u use ex shoulder or anti airs to make them think being unsafe/random will lead them to a knockdown(which they need to apply pressure) sometime they may even try Criminal Upper~FACD mix -ups this is techable but they ex C.Upper/zonk knuckle u best to tech. After getting a 40-50% lead guys jump arc n wall jumps > cody’s everything(no way to catch guy’s runaway game) only a well timed U2 will get u but if then a full animating ultra is unlikey so at this point on block u can s.mp cancel into hp bushinryu flip(i forgot the name) out of corners, wall jump him like seth or if u want to look cool apply pressure with c.lp,c.lk, st.mp, trick grabs, run/stop mix ups.Remember he can til n.jump/anti air u jump ins r still risky i say time out be best for u but going 100% sure kill isn’t bad its badAz. guy vs cody info, frame data r posted above plz look at that before looking at my posted.

A lot of people list Guy/Cody as 6-4 in Cody’s favor. Seems very 5-5 to me.

What makes this match easier for Cody, or harder for Guy?