Arcade Edition Match Up: Rose

guy

[LEFT]** So, What do we know about Rose?**[/LEFT]

Rose can be best described as an active defensive character. She has many long range pokes along with a fireball to keep you away from her. Her more offensive maneuvers revolve around her Soul Spiral, which is completely safe and breaks focus. In v.2012, her Soul Piede was adjusted, with a more extended hit box, which gives her another great tool along with her other multitude of normals to spam if needed. This puts a great thorn in Guy’s side. However, the match up objective remains the same for Guy, which is to knock her down and exploit her lack of wake up options.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]What can I learn about Rose?[/LEFT]
All of Rose frame data can be found on the SRK Wiki.
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE/Rose

Here are Capcom’s final documented changes for Rose in AE 2012:

For undocumented changes and discussion, please check out this thread in the Rose forums:

[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]What should I be doing?[/LEFT]

Before v.2012, if was a fair strategy to be around mid range counter poking and playing footsies. Because of the new Rose changes, it is much more difficult to resort to that strategy. This forces Guy to play an even more aggressive role to win. Any competitive Rose will make sure you lose the mid range fight. Now, your only objective is to get in her face and frame trap your way to victory.
[LEFT]What should I be aware of?[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-cr.MP[/LEFT]

A fast, fairly spammable normal. It’s usually cancelled into Soul Spiral, but it can also be converted into Soul Spark.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-st.MK[/LEFT]

Another great normal. It beats crouch techs and sets up for future throw setups, however, it is best to take the damage from this move instead of taking a throw.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-df.MK[/LEFT]

Commonly known as Slide, it is another deceptive normal. It is completely safe from max distance, but unsafe should Rose decide to do this next to you. Guy’s U2 works well here.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-st.HK[/LEFT]

A long range poke. It is safe from max distance. This pushes you out of mid range, where Rose can continue harassing you safely.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-cr.HK[/LEFT]

A long range sweep. Something to look forward to upon block. Punish with EX Hozanto.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-Soul Piede[/LEFT]
This move has now become the backbone of Rose’s footsies and is now the main reason why you should not stay in mid range.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-Soul Spiral[/LEFT]

Perfectly spaced spirals are completely safe on block and gives her good advantage. EX Spiral is unsafe but it is invincible before active (C.Vipers EX Siesmo pre 2012).
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Summary[/LEFT]
Fighting through a wall of normals has always been a tough task for Guy, but it is necessary task to close in the gap. Finding the right time to weave in and mount an offense will be difficult as well. This is what’s required to be successful in this match up. On paper, Rose has everything going for her, but it is nowhere near impossible to overcome.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]You all are more than welcome to add or update information about this match up. If anything[/LEFT]
[LEFT]I mentioned is incorrect, feel free to let me know[/LEFT]

Hi.

Just came in to mention that her EX Spiral is invincible for 11f, but it is a 13f move. You can throw her and attack her between frames 12 and 13 :slight_smile: before it goes active.

When safe jumping Rose, OS with HK slide (no delay required). Beats all options and if she chooses to ‘escape’ with her ex throw, you can ex hozanto after the slide before she recovers.

Due to Guy’s low profile status in Run Slide…Spiral will whiff if both moves are active at the same time and Run slide will win as well :D, So if you if you have meter to spare and score a hozanto on Rose or whatever, Feel free to run at her and slide for a 50/50. This will catch a few people off-guard.

I’ve always disliked fighting Rose. Her cr.Mp to armour breaking drill is just too much in my opinon.

Then I realise u can just do Guy’s lk senpukyaku. It has enough invisibility to kill the drill, reversal or not. Works well!

Before this the only option was to do Ultra 1 in between, because her cr.MP to drill isn’t a true string. But this is less risky to get out of her pressure.
Ex version may whiff altogether as it comes out to soon but I’m not sure.

Also I was playing around with Ultra 2…I was using Rose’s HK drill which is the safest right? Anyway a lot of success catching her -2 with the Ultra 2, so keep that in mind.

Her slide is still ridiculous though.

im practicing the cr.hk os on rose and ive noticed that the meaty cr.lp knocks rose out of her ultra2.

Rose U2 is 5 frame start up. Improved from 7 frames in AE but still not good enough.

Here are Capcom’s final documented changes for Rose in AE 2012:

For undocumented changes and discussion, please check out this thread in the Rose forums:

I had put out a st mp before rose activated her u2 and it hit her after the fact that it was activated but her orbs didnt go away and i didnt get hit lol

Meterless Hozanto into Ultra 1 in the corner: Low Hozanto into Ultra 1, (452 damage). Medium Hozanto into Ultra 1, (502 damage). Fierce Hozanto into Ultra 1, (532 damage).

Corner Options: 1. Target Combo into Run Slide, immediately forward dash twice into Low Hozanto. Beats Ex Soul Spiral on wake and can follow into meterless Ultra 1 or you can cancel into Super. 2. Target Combo into Low Hozanto, then immediately forward dash twice into Low Hozanto. Beats Ex Soul Spiral on wake and can follow into a meterless Ultra 1 or cancel into Super. 3. Target Combo into Run Slide, then immediately forward dash twice into a Normal Overhead. Beats Ex Soul Spiral on wake. 4. Target Combo into Run Slide, then immediately forward dash twice into a crMp, then Link that into Target Combo into what ever. Beats a wake-up Throw and her Normals. 5. Target Combo into Run Slide, then immediately back dash into a Low Hozanto. Beats Throw, Jumping and her Normals on wake. You can also follow into a meterless Ultra 1 or cancel into Super. 6. Target Combo into Run Slide, then immediately back dash into a Fierce Hozanto. Beats Ex Soul Spiral and can follow into a meterless Ultra 1 or Super.

Corner Options 2: (Target Combo into Medium Tatsu follow ups). 1a. An immediate Ex Bushing Flip creates an uncrouchable if Rose tech. 1b. An immediate Neutral Jump with an Attack is a Safe Jump and works like Guy’s Run Slide, Neutral Jump set-up if Rose tech. Safe from Ultra 1, Ex Soul Spiral, Ex Soul Throw and stuffs Forward Dash, crHp, Ex Reflect, Normal Soul Throws and Jumping. 2a. If Rose does not tech and you followed up with Neutral Jump, as soon as you land input Ex Bushing Flip and it will become an uncrouchable. 2b. If Rose does not tech and you followed up with Neutral Jump, as soon as you land input Neutral Jump again and it will become another Safe Jump.

Jump-in Options: 1. Fuzzy Guard; Forward Jump-in Hp (on block), then Jump Away with Mp. Does not work in Run Slide, Neutral Jump set-up. 2. Jumping Hp (on block), then input an immediate Normal Overhead. Works in Run Slide set-up and can beat Crouching, Throw and Crouch tech. 3. Jump-in Frame Trap against Ex Soul Spiral. A Deep Forward Jump-in Mp or Mk (on block), into an immediate Normal Overhead. Can beat or Trade with Ex Soul Spiral. In the Corner, a deep cross-up Mk (on block), into an Normal Overhead can work. Run Slide, Neutral Jump with Mp (on block), into a Normal Overhead can also stuff or Trade with Ex Soul Spiral depending on your timing. As a side note Rose can Throw you or Mash Normals in the Frame Trap set-ups.

Thanks a lot for the set ups, IROC! Your input is highly valued!

Safe Throw Options: 1. (mid-screen) Forward Throw, back dash, forward dash, forward jump with an attack. To Fuzzy Guard just jump-in with Hp (on block), then forward jump with Mp (risky but works). To stuff Ex Soul Spiral, jump-in with Mk (on block) then input an immediate Normal Overhead, which also beats Crouching and Focus Attack. 2. (mid-screen) Back Throw, back dash, then forward jump with an attack. Works the same way as the first set-up above. 3. (corner) Forward Throw, forward dash, then back dash, into an Elbow Drop or Cross-up Mk. All set-up’s are Safe from wake up Ex Soul Spiral, Ex Soul Throw, Ultra 1, Super and stuffs Ultra 2-allowing you to continue your combo for big damage.

Whiff Punishing: CrMp buffer Ex Hozanto into Ex Hozanto works if Rose is close to the corner. As far as I know, this only works on a select number of characters such as Rose and Dee Jay. This is good because sometimes after a whiff punish your not close enough to the corner to connect Guy’s Tatsu. So doing another Ex Hozanto is a good way to earn some extra damage against Rose. The timing is pretty tight, but not to strict. An optional way to beat Rose’s Forward Slide is to Whiff Punish with crLk buffer into Ex Hozanto from a distance.

[S]Just wanted to add that the only thing that can beat this OS is reversal U1.[/S] For reversal U2, she will get hit out of it by the j.HP (I used j.HP but anything can be used I think). I noticed that if she simply blocks low upon wake up, the j.HP hits her as an overhead.

Don’t think u1 should.hit you since it does.t best safe jumps to my knowledge and your slide shouldn’t come out

EDIT: Didn’t test one scenario and that was just crouch blocking. My mistake. Blooddrunk is correct about U1 not being able to hit that OS.

If you OS with EX BSK, EX Soul Spiral will whiff, and she will recover before you.