Arcade Stick noob guide: Grip and Developing execution explained

This document is now outdated.

Refer here for Stick related newbie questions:
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=231888

Execution guide/questions here:
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234169

check the new guides

when you say its better not to follow the gate on the japanese stick what exactly do you mean? I have a vague idea but its really shaky. sorry for the potentially stupid as hell question.

It’s cool, I should probably be more clear.

On a standard square gate JLF (the kind that comes in TEs) the stick will actually engage before hitting the gate. That is to say, you don’t need to move the stick all the way to the edge of the gate to register the command.

To take that further: When doing fireball motions (QCF, IE, down, down-forward, forward), you don’t have to bring the stick to full down, full down-forward, full forward. Picture making a “_]” motion instead of a smooth quarter circle. Not only does that feel more awkward to most, you’re using unnecessary movement. A JLF is far more sensitive than that. This is part of the reason why some people dislike square gates at first. They don’t realize you don’t need to stay on the gate for the stick to register.

There are times where I like to ride the gate, though. Examples include charge characters (especially Balrog) or combos where I use the dragon punch short cut motion (Sagat’s crouching short, crouching short, dragon punch combo). Generally speaking though, there is no need to ride the gate.

a japanese gate is square unlike an american one where it’s an octagon gate. what he’s saying is that you don’t have to touch the bottom right corner when performing a quarter circle move like a hadoken if you’re using a square gate. on an octagon gate you can just ride the gate to from down to forward cause of it’s shape.

American sticks do not have octagon gates. Those are also unique to Japanese sticks.

American sticks don’t use a detachable restricter plate, but have a round feel (with a square actuator).

Thanks for this great read, very helpfully. Especially the explanation above I did not no this at all! I will try this as soon as possible.

Nice little guide. Maybe it should get stickied so if a new player is looking for information about transitioning to an arcade stick, they can find it with ease.

thanks for explaining it guys.

Added some content to the second post. Also, bumping as people are still having questions related to this thread.

More feedback is welcome. If you think this is helpful to noobies, let me know. Otherwise I can let it die.

Why hasn’t this thread been stickied yet?

That’s really all that needs to be done and it would make this a great centralized thread for all joystick execution related questions.

You posted this in a thread of mine about riding the gate. This was ultra helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

what are the advantages of using a stick?

Advantages mostly stem from…

– Button layout - you have all fingers available and pressing any single button or combination of them at will is easy. It lets you do techniques like piano-ing, double tapping, and plinking much more easily than on a pad, so you have more tools to hit links or ensure that your moves come out.

– Executing directions on a stick may require more motion than on a controller, but using your wrist is generally more precise than your thumb rolling on a d-pad or analog stick. Square gate is good for precisely hitting single diagonals and use of charge characters.

– You get a standard control scheme that is available on every system. Notice that 360-only pad players have a hard time playing on the Dual Shock 3 or vice versa? Arcade stick parts, outside of personal preference, all play roughly the same, so you can be ready to play at home, to hop on an arcade cab, or to play in tournaments regardless of system provided you have a stick/converter for it or can borrow one.

Of course, all of this only comes after learning how to use a stick and with significant practice, but it’s well worth the effort IMO.

Fantastic writeup, exactly what I’m looking for! I just switched from an Xbox 360 pad (which sucks) to a HRAP EX-SE.

I’m having issues learning to not ride the gate, it takes some getting used to. I’m also having trouble with the super/uber combos as well as cancels…guess I need to try the “P” word (grumble grumble).

allrite ill get on that then

Great thread. I definitely have to work on the whole riding the gate thing. I’ve always been aware that special moves could be executed without doing it, but it never really occured to me to work on it in order to make me a better player. Before I read this, I always thought that as long as my moves were coming out, everything was ok. Definitely something I’ll start p-wording.

God, it was about time someone said this. I was so tired of watching pros try to convince newbies that there’s a proper way to hold a stick, which just so happens to be the way they hold it. And of course they all hold them differently from one another.

Great thread, I’m just getting to the none-ride-the-gate phase in my game, i have always done it, and never changed/wanted to, and as a result I’m inconsistent. Playing on a joystick is alot like playing the piano…getting rid of unneccessary movement for speed and accuracy, it makes all the difference. When I get my new custom, I’ll be sure to be aware of, what is now, an unconscious habit. Thanks!

I’m on that HRAP 3 SA right now, (just started w. stick) and I’m having trouble doing Ryu’s srk -->fadc --> ultra. Sometimes after I cancel, it doesn’t really dash out, rather he completes the “focus punch”. Do I have to let the stick go back to neutral position then dash out? I guess sometimes the more fluid I do it, the better it is, but then the qcfx2 motion gets to be a bit tricky after the double tap out. Any tips?