Arcade stories...

guile

Yesterday I headed to the local arcade on a mission. Usually when I go, I’m only able to get 1 or 2 wins spread thoughout the night. My goal was to get at least 5 wins yesterday.

There were a few people there, each playing various characters and switching them up as they lost.

I played as Guile.

To start things off, I was getting my ass handled, the arcade stick felt way different than my home stick. None of my moves were coming out, no SB’s, FK’s, and kept fucking up c.mp, FK when ever they whiffed a DP. I kept losing but stuck with Guile.

As I got used to the stick and the feel of the buttons, my Guile started to bloom like a flower during spring. It all started with a mirror match, and I always have trouble against another Guile. I got my 1st win. I went on to get my 2nd win…3rd…4th…I was on a roll.

Some people there were giving me props cuz, quote - “man, Guile is hard to use” - I did a bazooka knee, SB, b.hk, SB, FADC, target combo, and as I went for the sweep the other guy blocked it, so I FADC, followed up with f.mp, j.lk, c.lk, c.lp, FK…and it all came out smooth! As I hear the cheer from the crowd, some guy says - “wow, that was nice, bro.”

I went on to get a 9 fight win streak (previous streak was 6), not much to some, but a hurdle I coulndn’t get over before. I’m heading there tonight again, I’m sticking with Guile again, I’m gonna Flash Kick some asses again.

Post your arcade story, I want to read how it is around your local arcade. Whether it be a cheap 9 fight win streak, or if you went on a 20 fight rampage (local arcade cuts you off at 20).

EDIT:

Back in '94 I went to the local laundromat to get some SF2 CE fights. There was a ‘gangster’, an older dude and some other teens playing the game. Everyone was having a good time, playing eachother, losing, winning…but the ‘gangster’ was getting upset cuz he kept getting caught by the sweep. This dude got so pissed off that after he lost all of his quarters, he sucker punched the older dude right in the jaw!

As the older guy turns to face him, the ‘gangster’ takes out a blade and starts yelling something like - ‘is that all you can do mother-effer, you bitch, I’ll stab you right now!.’

After things calmed down, the older dude left, the ‘ganster’ stayed, and he just happened to not lose a game the rest of the time I was there. lol…from the people that were there, no one wanted to get stabbed, obviously, but they - we, also wanted to keep playing the game! lol…so we kept playing but only to the point where the ‘gangster’ wouldn’t lose the game. lol…good times.

I wish I HAD a local arcade.

Yeah, Lovegety is usually too far for me unless there’s a tournament. All the other arcades around here are out of business…

I wish the arcade scene hasn’t died.

The ongoing history of the GTASF

cool story bro ^^ i liked it. specially the “bazooka knee, SB, b.hk, SB, FADC, target combo, and as I went for the sweep the other guy blocked it, so I FADC, followed up with f.mp, j.lk, c.lk, c.lp, FK” part hehe

what arcade you go to man? im guessing youre from LA since you got Tom Leykis in your avatar. I go to Family Fun Arcade in Granada hills mostly. I too always pick Guile and the same thing. gotta get used to the sticks first then i start getting better. I had a 9 win streak too. Even busted out the Super into Ultra to beat an abel. it feels good when you know youre playing well and youre beating people with Guile.

^^^^…I go to the same one!!! Were you there this weekend? I saw 1 other Guile playing there.

Yah, getting wins playing as Guile means you earn every hit! I still have trouble with my links but damn they look so sweet when I pull one out.

And yeah, the sticks feel a lot different there. No room for finesse there, you have to beat the shit out of the buttons to get your moves to come out. I rotate between Family Fun and The Plant arcade.

this :bluu:

There’s one at a mall kind of close to where I live but the problem is the people over there only play games like DDR or Time Crisis even though there are fighting game cabinets like SF IV and MvC 2…

wish mission valley mall had a cab

I wish mission valley mall in san diego had an arcade cabinet. If this were the case i’d be over there every workday for my lunch break. I know they have tekken… I stopped in to see if they ever picked up sf4 one day…

i dont remember if i was there that weekend. im just reading this now. I go like once every week though. What’s the Plant Arcade? never heard of it. I go to FFA from LAX so would the Plant be further? dude Leykis needs to be back on the air

Congrats on your wins and everything, but did I just seriously read this sentence in regards to a video game? =)

Anyhow, my arcade story: back in 1994 I saw one guy pick up a chair and hit another guy over the head with it because the guy was using lk,lk,throw too much. It was considered “cheap” back then, and it was pretty serious (at least in the SF Bay Area). So imagine my surprise when SF4 came out and it seemingly encourages this kind of strategy! No chairs flying around at all. (^_^) arcades seem so much tamer nowadays. Especially considering that a lot of people who have been playing since SF2WW probably learned their skills in a liquor store of some sort. It’s amazing we didn’t all grow up to be alcoholics… lol

?

It’s in Van Nuys. I forgot the name of it but it’s pretty big.

…I wonder when Leykis will be coming back. I think he had like 3 or 4 years left on his contract with CBS.

For dramatic effect.

Back in '94 I went to the local laundromat to get some SF2 CE fights. There was a ‘gangster’, an older dude and some other teens playing the game. Everyone was having a good time, playing eachother, losing, winning…but the ‘gangster’ was getting upset cuz he kept getting caught by the sweep. This dude got so pissed off that after he lost all of his quarters, he sucker punched the older dude right in the jaw!

As the older guy turns to face him, the ‘gangster’ takes out a blade and starts yelling something like - ‘is that all you can do mother-effer, you bitch, I’ll stab you right now!.’

After things calmed down, the older dude left, the ‘ganster’ stayed, and he just happened to not lose a game the rest of the time I was there. lol…from the people that were there, no one wanted to get stabbed, obviously, but they - we, also wanted to keep playing the game! lol…so we kept playing but only to the point where the ‘gangster’ wouldn’t lose the game. lol…good times.

Haha… great story; that’s exactly how I remember the Street Fighter arcade experience! It’s sad how that story would probably turn out nowadays: kid loses at Street Fighter, then goes to school and shoots everyone. We were so much more civilized back then with our chairs and knives… :china:

Well…

Not much of a story for me yesterday at Chinatown Fair, get handled pretty good by a Chun and barely lost to a Sim player (4 times in a row!). Very frustrating outing but still fun.

Scariest arcade story was a bowling alley near my shitty first job when I was a teen. My friend and I were playing Virtua Fighter. A major fight started happening over by the SF2CE cabinet. Friend and I turned around just in time to see one gangster stab another a couple times and the ensuing chaos. We sloooowly turned back to Virtua Fighter and played it quietly for a very long time as the establishment and law enforcement actions took place.

Good times! I really improved my Lau that night.

I live in a big city and I don’t have a local arcade.

See, now this and Mr sloppy 2nds’ story are a huge part of why the arcade scene died in my hometown: they attracted the wrong crowds, and the surrounding businesses complained about having to call the cops every night.

Nowadays, the only place to find coin-ops around here are, like, movie theaters and mini golf courses, but of course they consist of decidedly non-hardcore games. I doubt anyone ever gets shot over DDR or Guitar Hero.

damn thugs ‘n’ drugs. that’s what they used to call my arcade… but not really.

Those darned whippersnappers and their hippity-hoppiting and chewin’ on goofballs…

Most of the arcades where I grew up closed due to so many raids by truancy officers, not much violence happened with the exception of my previous story, even when I played at Pop’s arcade in Minneapolis (kind of a legendary drug spot). Chinatown fair is great, but needs to get sponsored by Old Spice high endurance or Axe body wash.

edit: just had a laugh picturing Guitar Hero based arguments (How you gonna double strum me like that!!! Cheesy shit man. Whammy bar one more time, see what happens punk!)

LOL And with Guitar Hero, they provide you with the weapon!

damn…went to my local arcade this weekend and managed to beat some dude that had a 17 fight win streak (after he’d beaten me 5 times in a row)…only to get destroyed by an El Fuerte the next fight.

Damn, I need to learn that matchup better.