Are computer keyboards (mechanical) tournament legal?

-What exactly is tournament legal and what is not?
i want to use my mechanical keyboard to play fighting games is this allowed in tournaments such as evo? I only see game pads and fight sticks are these things the only thing allowed?

Why wouldn’t it be? The hitbox is practically a keyboard.

ok so literally if i brought my computer keyboard to evo next time they wouldnt say a word?

There was a guy that played on stream with an actual keyboard. I don’t remember which game but it was a straight up keyboard modified to work on PS3

Ya but it still does not answer if it “tournament” legal i want to know if evo has regulations on what exact controller you cant bring.

Yeah and he got his ass kicked why the fuck would anyone play with a keyboard.

please keep this to topic this isnt about what you think is better i dont want this to turn into a debate

Controllers of any kind are allowed except wireless iirc
As long as your controller doesnt have macros or mods (aesthetic mods/joystick mods are ok) it should be fine.
The hitbox is legal for some games, its not legal for marvel 3 i believe because that game has a glitch that lets you block two ways at once.

That, marvel glitch has been removed last time i checked. I think that glitch was only for Vanilla MVC3. Keyboard should be fine, some tournaments don’t allow it so you might want to ask whatever tournament you currently/plan-on attending what the rules are for controllers

Someone USED a keyboard AT EVO, ON STEAM. Therefore that means that it was considered “tournament” legal AT EVO.

directly from the rules pages on the Evo2k.com website:
[LEFT][SIZE=24px]General Rules for Evo 2012[/LEFT][/SIZE]

[LIST]
[]All games will be played on the default settings, unless otherwise specified, below.
[
]All macros available via the in-game controller configuration menu are allowed.
[]Hardware programmable input entry, rapid-fire, or other hardware assisted mechinsims are strictly forbidden.
[
]Accidently pausing the game at any time during the fight may force you to forfeit the round (solely at a judge’s discretion).
[]Any player using “Random Select” to pick their character, must “Random Select” again if they win the match, provided that there is no way to pick a certain character in the random box.
[
]You must provide your own controller for games played on the Playstation 3.
[]All converters are the responsibility of the player.
[
]All wireless controllers are banned.
[/LIST]

The keyboard the guy at EVO used seemed to have a DB-25 (aka parallel) cable connected to it. It may have been connected to a breakout box with a PS3 PCB (or Cthulhu board) to it so it would work with a PS3. Pretty interesting but it didn’t help much :slight_smile:

Rule of thumb, always check with the tourney rule or organizers if it is legal, and have a backup controller just in case.

Cant i just connect my usb keyboard directly into an xbox 360 or ps3 and set up from there? Or do you need that cable and box to be able to do this now that i know its tournament legal - thanks guy you all were a big help.

No, you cannot. Neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 identifies a USB keyboard as a game controller. It recognizes it specifically as a keyboard and the consoles only accept keyboard inputs for things like typing messages. You cannot use an unmodified, stock keyboard as a game controller on an Xbox 360 or a PS3. You would need to modify the keyboard in some way to have it work as a game controller. I don’t know the specifics, but I’m sure someone here knows better than I.

I’ve been trying to search the fourms for such info, also thank you guys for telling me about the keyboard guy at evo indeed he used a keyboard but he had a special connector and box can someone lead me to a post or guide on how to do this?

I don’t know of a post or guide related to this. It wouldn’t be hard to do for someone decent at programming (I know of an existing converter project using basically the same hardware as Toodles’ FGW stuff; no more than $15 in parts with a nice board), but 360 support could get tricky (it’d require piggy-backing on a padhack/PS360/etc). The real cost, though, will still be in the firmware development.

The other route is modifying the keyboard itself, which would ruin it for computer use, though even nice keyboards matrix their switches (they just use diodes to avoid ghosting), so you’d need an experienced modder and the easiest/cheapest route would probably end up cutting traces.

The smart alternative is, of course, a HitBox or HitBox-like controller. If you’ve just gotta have a WASD-style layout, you could get a custom panel built for you with whatever layout you want. If you want to use a normal keyboard, you’re gonna need a modder.

EDIT: Of course, I could be wrong about there not being stock converters: This one looks like it might do the trick, but I have ZERO experience with it. Saw it linked inthis thread which may be of interest to you.

Just to give him some respect, we should refer to the keyboard guy by his handle. I was told during the streams that it was the Rose player, filipinOman. Need confirmation on that though.

Any modder can do this, I’m not a great modder and I modified a keyboard and used a paewang.

Basically you wire the keys up to a DB25 (or a DB15 if you don’t want to ever use the keyboard normally) and then connect it to a project box. In which you can have whatever extracted PCB you want, PS360+, paewang, cthulhu etc…

You can see the one I did in action here

Also here’s another example of it being used in the top 4 of a national KOFXIII tournament. Skip to 1 hour in and watch V1p3R

One thing to remember is to use a toodles socd cleaner

actually, some games on the ps3 have the capability of using a keyboard (and mouse) for in game functions other than typing messages. notable games that have this are UT3 and the upcoming CSGO.

keyboard warriors should stick to kailera.

Hit-Boxes are the most cost-effective way to get up and running for a keyboard-like device (Unless you have all the tools/scraps you need before-hand), short of jury-rigging a PCB (and a SODC cleaner) into a box of frosted flakes.

You can go SOCD-less fine for SFIV and KOF, as the former forces SOCDs to UP and FORWARD, while the latter of which has proper SOCD in-engine that makes all SOCDs neutral (I think).

Ah, that’s fair. I did not actually know about the PS3 FPS support. I assumed it was the same as Microsoft’s keyboard policy. Good information. :tup: