Are you optimistic or pessimistic about humanity's future?

What this thread is NOT about:

-armageddon
-aerosmith
-2012 or mayan calender
-comets
-fate or destiny

This isn’t a “save the world” thing considering that the world survived before us and will continue to exist after we are all dead. What this is more of is a question of your belief in whether humanity’s continued survival in relative comfort will exist in the future and to what degree is your participation?

We keep on hearing about wars, pollution, global warming (big one), financial blahs and just a whole bunch of other crazy shit that seems to doom and gloom onto us all. Each side seems to be projecting absolutes unless we change or face dire consequences which makes me wonder, how do you feel as a single person in a huge ass community about these projections (or opposing sides to the arguement?) Do you feel that hey, you are going to die, it’s not going to be a problem for you so why the fuck not live out my life at this present “height of civilization” for all it’s worth? It’s not saying that you should give the problem for future generations to deal with, but you are completely apathetic to the humanity’s future because it’s not a part of yours.

The other option is that you’re trying your darndest to recycle, keep aware of the problems and trying to contribute to the solution regardless of all the other people who aren’t participating. It’s not even a point that you hope to solve the problem yourself, but hoping that by example or perhaps by small steps you can help stave off the problems that might cause humanity to just go to shit.

Or are you just a person who isn’t really either the two options but is optimistic that hey…humanity will solve things out on it’s own. It’s not that we can’t solve everything but as with most things in life, compromise and the grey area will always exist more often than the absolutes. Sure global warming, or world peace may never exist, but some things work out at the expense of others that maintain the continued balance we have in the world. It might get strained, there might be some huge shakeups, but it’s never so drastic that it would end humanity but merely change ideas about it. Or do you have your own opinion, reasons and explanations on it all?

OC

didnt Stephen Hawking say that in the next century we would either destroy ourselves or unite for a greater good?

anywho, there is a lot of things still wrong in this world, that’s obvious, but we HAVE been improving. Bit by bit, the older generations die off, and some of their stupidity goes along with it.

closet looking like i opened up a vinnie styles

faith in humanity?

lol…

USA = Rome

Rest of civilized world = possibly Rome if we allow religious delusion to continue to fester.

If there’s something in which I believe, it’s human cunning and willpower, so I’m very optimistic about the future.

I am optimistic about our future. I am an environmental consultant by day and volunteer with Engineers Without Borders when I don’t work. For my job I design systems to clean up soil and groundwater contamination. For my volunteer job, I help design infrastructure to improve the welfare and livelihood of developing communities. I think I’d have to be optimistic about our future or else I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing.

Kesha is making lyrics about being a whore and she’s popular and richer than most of us. Do I need to add something else?

I don’t really care about humanity’s future. I’m not going to live long enough to see what’ll happen, therefore, not my problem. It’s my kids or my grandkids’ problem. Doubt they’d get salty because I perfer paper plates and plastic sporks over standard plates and silverware. One person cannot make a difference. Is it in the best interest of humanity to think in the long term? Well, the rest of humanity is thinking in the short term. They aren’t doing actions for the greater good, so why should I care for a bunch of lazy/apathetic/sleep walking people? I’m just returning the favor.

Before you call me out and judge me, take a look at your own damn self. I’m willing to bet you and I are no different. What have YOU done for the sake of humanity? Nothing. You’re just part of the norm, son! You are all just as bad as I am.

Excuse me while i enjoy my meal with my paper plates and sporks.

I’m not optimistic or pessimistic. I’m being real. I’m a realist.

I’m always optimistic. I think it’s due to me being arrogant. I’m sure a part of me think I can save the world and become the world first ever King. Just saying… yes I am crazy. :coffee:

Paraphrasing from a Garfield strip… I’m a Pessimist because no matter what happens, I’m either constantly proven right or pleasantly surprised.

I would speak my mind, but it would open up “Pandora’s box”.

Long story short…I’m EXTREMELY PESSIMISTIC! :coffee:

I’m extremely pessimistic about humanity’s future.

Global Warming + Rapid Loss of Viable Agricultural Land + Global Capitalism = GGPO Humanity

I’m not pursuing a PhD and not having children because I don’t see social criticism having any impact on these problems, and I wouldn’t want my children to grow up in a world I’m almost certain will be worse than that one I grew up in. I’m almost certain we’ve already past the tipping point, and the utter catastrophe that was the Copenhagen Summit really just killed any last shred of hope I had.

As for what I intend to do? Well I guess it’s a combination of #1 and #2 from what you said OC. I’m going to try to enjoy my life being born into one of the richest countries in the richest period of human history by doing fun stuff like hiking and kayaking, but I’m also going to try to live a modest life. I know that means almost nothing because even a modest life is far too extravagant by the standard of the extreme measures required, but I guess it helps me sleep at night.

global warming doesn’t exist though

i posted about it in 2007 and everyone made fun of me and called me an idiot, but looks like i was right and no one apologized

Ha ha.

I’m just hoping for a zombie outbreak. That sort of thing always seems to unite humanity. So… I guess I am sorta optimistic!

This came to mind when I read the title of this thread:

[media=youtube]vt2i0ts-uck[/media]

Need I say more…

Commentary from physicist Michio Kaku on the future:

[media=youtube]6cF4p_pMfcs[/media]

I want to live long enough to see us go to a type 1.

Amanda: You don’t have much faith in humanity, do you?

Dan: None whatsoever.

Amanda: I can’t accept that. People are basically good, decent. My God, David, we’re a civilized society.

David: Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shit out of them, no more rules…you’ll see how primitive they get.

Dan: You scare people badly enough…you can get them to do anything. They’ll turn to whoever promises a solution…or whatever.

Amanda: Ollie, please, back me up here.

Ollie: I wish I could. As a species, we’re fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

The Mist was the truth, and it spoke truth.

I’m optimistic about the fact I’ll be dead before Zultar and his band of marauding space devils come down and the planet into a smoldering heap of human wreckage.