As a complete newcomer what is the most important thing to work on first?

Im completely new to fighting games in general and I have been having a hard time beating anyone online even against people with 100 - 300 bp, so I wanted to ask what technique or mechanic should I master first to get better?

In example, in Starcraft you could win a fair amount of games if you could simply out macro your opponent and the real deep strategies only truly mattered in higher levels of play.

1.) Study and observe some decent matches. It will help you with self knowledge of the match and the character’s abilities.
2.) Find your character that suit your personal play style.
3.) Train yourself into betterment. Learn about the character and it’s pros and cons, what the character can or cannot do.
4.) Study the fighting game vocabulary to get an better understanding of the term (Option select, Bread and Butter (BnB), Footsies etc.).
5.) Check out some combo videos in your spare time. It can help you expand your knowledge on new combos for that specific character.

There’s more, but this should be a good start for you. And welcome to the world of fighting games!

blocking/defense. you can easily get to 1000BP just by anti airing bad jumps and blocking unsafe specials and punishing with throw or sweep. eventually you’ll want to learn simple combos that do more damage and punish with that, but that’s all just so you can win faster.

When i started, because i thought balrog’s rush upper loop was so fucking cool, i spend hours upon hours in training room getting it down. I told myself i woulndt stop playing until i could do 2 loops without dropping it, then it turned into 10, then 20 loops.

I think understanding the timing to button presses helps alot. Also knowing what button to press and when to press imo is crucial. I used to throw shit out and pray to got something hit.

Playing patiently is also something i had to learn, i used to get so antsy that i would just jump in all the time and eat a srk fadc ultra or an AA

And i think it was mentioned in a previous post, but watching the pros play really helps. Try to watch tournament streams, or older tournament vids posted on youtube of really good players.

Posting here instead
http://www.shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/newbie-saikyo-dojo.52/

I would say, in no particular order:

1. blocking
  2. your throw game
  3. paying attention to the range at which you are using your moves and figuring out the ideal range at which to use them, which is typically close to the maximum range from which the moves can hit (example: generalizing, you shouldn’t do crouching hard kick when you’re standing right next to your opponent because it’s much slower and less safe than crouching short or jab, and you shouldn’t do crouching short or jab from half a screen away because that move will just whiff and so you took a small risk for no reason). Also look at the same patterns in your opponents/their characters.

Anti-airing and blocking. These two things will get you to win a ton of matches from the start…

1. Blocking
  2. Throwing / Teching
  3. Executing moves.

executing special moves.

it leads to when its not smart or safe to use them, then you start to learn normals and how to apply them to supplement your specials, after a time it then becomes a balance of both supporting each other.

Without a doubt, if you start with the simple concept of patiently blocking and anti-airing, it will provide you the foundation you need to get better. It also admittedly helps a lot to find a character whose style is comfortable for you.

I took my first steps in this game simply by picking Sakura and sticking to 3 simple things:

1. Be patient
  2. Block moves then punish them with a sweep
  3. Anti-air with crouching HP whenever someone jumped at me

Thats it. That got me to 2000 bp. Particularly at low levels, people jump WAY too much. Some people will jump over and over until you dizzy them. Be patient, watch your opponents habits, and keep it very simple at first. A strong foundation will pave the way for much improvement.

To the Saikyo Dojo

[list][]Blocking. You don’t mash jab on wakeup, you don’t mash throw tech on wakeup, you don’t backdash on wakeup, you don’t uppercut on wakeup, you just block. The occasional reversal is fine, but 80% of the time you should be blocking. Especially when you just start the game. The minute you start relying on anything but solid defense, you’re rolling the dice. And it will work, sometimes, against some people. But then it will stop working, and then you will still have the habit of relying on it.
[
]Learn how to use your normals. Learn the value of all of them. A few will be straight up worthless, most have a use.
[]In order to actually play the game, you will need to anti-air first. This is because jumping is easy, but countering it requires good timing and knowledge. If your character doesn’t have a good ground normal to anti-air with, you might need to learn to uppercut jump-ins right off the bat.
[
]If you want to do offense, you need to learn how to bait reversals first. But not just to bait them, but also to punish them hard. A 2-in-1 (normal cancelled into your strongest special) is a good go-to punish for a beginner. For example, with Ryu up close cr.hp xx hp srk, or from farther away cr.mk xx hk tatsu. Or, depending on the situation, to just hit your opponent with an ultra. Whenever you bait a reversal, you want them to feel like the dumbest person alive. Do as much damage to them as possible.[/list]

In ae if you can anti air well everything else will follow.

Don’t jump.

Learn how to fight without using special moves. Mastery of your normals will get you very far. Also spend at least 30 minutes a day working on a link combo. Start now. I started playing when SSF4 came out and just started learning how to do link combos, if I could kick myself in the nutz over this I would. Get a good monitor to make this easier (google asus evo monitor) you will love it and once you start going to local events the TO’s will love you as well. Pay attention to what characters you lose to a lot and study that match up here on srk and ask questions.

Player 1 side::db:,:b:

Player 2 side::df:,:f:

[LIST]
[]Learn how to block. For some reason, this is difficult for new players. This applies to learning how to block cross-ups, when to block high and when to block low, and how to resist mashing buttons.
[
]Learn how to anti-air your opponent’s jump attacks. You don’t have to use special moves for this. A good normal move can often function as an effective anti-air, and be easier to execute for new players.
[*]Learn proper spacing, zoning, and generally how to control and dominate space.
[/LIST]
[media=youtube]d0cFs5mHQC4[/media]

While that video using ST as an example, the basic principles outlined in the early part of the video, can be applied to all fighting games.

In summary, learn defense. Flashy combos and setups are very pretty, and bring out the stream monsters and fan boys, but good defense is what keeps you alive and wins games.

I think the most important thing right off the bat is to just acclimate yourself with special moves/inputs. Once you are comfortable performing motions id focus on
1.) anti airing
2.) blocking
3.) basic footsies (just mess around with different characters and their normals, no way to know when or when not to use moves unless you use them at some point or another)

1: Play some matches and learn how to block basic pressure, tech throws, and apply your normals at a fundamental level.
2: Learn your character’s special attack motions and the like, including more complex ones (e.g DP FADC Ultra for Ryu). AKA Training Mode pt. 1.
3: Play a few more matches, figure out how your special attacks fit into your gameplan and get used to using them in “real” situations - there’s a huge difference between being able to do something to a training dummy and being able to do it in a match.
4: Get a feeling for your character’s basic “2-in-1” cancel combos (e.g. Ryu cr.MK xx Hadouken). Training mode pt. 2.
5: Play more matches until you are comfortable with all of this. You should be able to do some decent damage in a punish situation (with things like Ryu f+HP xx SRK fadc Ultra) at this level, but your damage off random hits will start to look low compared to other players as you advance in rank since you aren’t doing link combos yet.
6: It’s time to learn some basic links! Back to training mode… This is the first real “hard” part. Expect to spend a while on this.
7: Play games to get used to using your links in them. Expect to go back to training mode repeatedly at this stage.
7.5: Congrats, you are now an intermediate player.
8: Learn matchup specifics and the like. Keep playing training mode whenever there’s something new to check

Get an idea of the range, speed (and recovery) and height of all your normal moves and when to use them (it’s ok if you focus on the ones that seem better, but try to recall that the others exist too, and incorporate them when you feel you need more variety).

Make sure you know how to block. Not as in becoming a blocking master, but a general understanding of when to block high or low, when people are likely to try a sweep or an overhead…

When people jump at you, try to think if you have time to antiair them. If not just block. You’ll eventually see them coming and you’ll be able to antiair properly. It’s easier if your character has one really good antiair move that you can keep in your head ready for the situation. Also be aware that opponents can (and may abuse) jump just over you, and their air attack has to be blocked in the opposite direction.

Put focus on throws and throw teching when you feel you need it, this is, when you see people always blocking your moves or you see people throwing you much.

Special moves, they are important, especially depending on the character, so I can’t say don’t pay attention to them from the start. At any rate, understand what they are useful for and what are the risks of doing each.

Block more and jump less.