Ask me something

@popoblo yeah man, always good to talk about cvs2. By that I mean how the game is actually played, instead of “yeah, cvs2 is soooo great.”

@13:45 Gunter is my guy, but all he did was guess that a fireball was coming and get punished for it repeatedly.

@18:30 I loved the vertical fire move to punish the devil reverse. Wrong guess on the cc activate. Rai’s JDing had more to do with winning this round than anything else.

@24:30 That was some cool shit. Whiff crouching strong to bait activate, level 3. Thing is, N Mai won’t often be using level 3s. Especially not on a guess like that. She could RC a fan or ryuenbu, but reward is much worse.

My two thoughts from the video are that Bison needs to be patient against Mai until he gets meter, and that Rai’s success with K Mai is hard to separate from how good of a K groove player he is.

I will say that Bison doesn’t outpoke Mai on the ground, so in that sense it’s kind of an even fight. I just think if Bison is patient, and sits back to build meter, it would be hard for Mai to put significant pressure on Bison. Like, a lot of characters have normals that outrange bison’s, so you can either work his guard bar, or get him to guess with a RC psycho crusher or scissor kick. It seems all Mai can do is try to zone him with fireballs.

Maybe her zoning is good enough to get a lead on bison when he’s meterless? I can’t say I know either way. But that seems like a tough fight.

@18:30 does demonstrate that Mai has a 1 frame punish using low RH against a 1 hit bison short scissor kick. Not saying it radically shifts the matchup in her favor, but some characters don’t have any type of reliable punish for a 1 hit short scissor kick.

in regards to your 24:30 comment, if I was playing N-Mai with 2 stocks and saw A-Bison had a full meter, I’d just about always pop a stock to have a level 3 handy and also to start empty short jumping out of his AA CC range to bait a trip guard CC. But agree that a RC fan or ryuenbu is not worth it in regards to risk/reward.

I don’t have extensive personal matchup experience with Mai to say either way how the ground game would go. I’ve seen enough Rai vids to see he’ll mainly punish Bison doing specials to build meter (low fierce xx fan to punish blocked RC psycho crusher; JD into low RH against 1 hit scissor kicks OR 1 frame low RH punish like I mentioned earlier; fan against a devil’s reverse; against a head stomp follow-up, he does a qcb + p and it catches Bison surprisingly (and just RC it in N-groove). Then the ground game is lots of low strongs and low RH (especially run-up low RH which is very fast). Once Bison is scared to press buttons then he works the throw game.

Random thought: Personally I really like the idea of N-R2 Blanka/Mai/Chun as a team.

Good points re: Mai’s bison options. I hadn’t noticed the 1-hit scissor punish.

That’s a good N-groove team, with the R2 blanka up front being the most controversial thing. I can see it being good vs A-Groove, if you’re comfortable with Blanka vs the usual A-groove batteries. I don’t think it’s as good an idea vs C or K grooves though.

Also, just as an aside, interesting to note that Mai probably does well in N as both battery and as a user. Meter gives her level 3 opportunities, as well as more chances to use her awesome counter roll. Too bad her meterless damage is so mediocre.

This game needs to be ported already.

I personally was messing around with N - Blanka/Mai/ Chun R2 before reloaded. Worked well.

great minds think alike!

@Mr.Warzard, i always really liked N-Blanka in theory and as a mixup to my A-groove team, but I had difficulty landing his super well as an anchor and would sometimes die with 3 full N-groove stocks sitting there. that’s why i’d put him up front so I could build a ton of meter, use level 1 ground shave supers on wakeup if needed, and not have to worry about landing a level 3 as much. Also, if R2 N-Blanka does work up front and puts the opponent in a hole, then Mai can runaway and be a pest, which is her best play style IMO. Taking the “runaway after building a lead” idea one step further, R2 N-Blanka/Mai/Rolento (or Rolento/Mai) would be a legit team and Mai and Rolento wouldn’t have issues using the meter.

peace

I have no beef with Blanka up front - I fully support putting a top tier character up front so you can go nuts and have a chance to get a lead.

By giving up the R2 anchor, you’d be going all in on your plan A with that team, with virtually no chance to come back if something goes wrong in the first round. I’m sure you could make it work, but I don’t recommend it. Especially not in N-Groove, which in general is a bad fit for runaway (lack of stored meter and any air defense options hurts).

Or just man up like old Houston folk and 4 ratio k-sagat. That shit was scary in tournament lol.

Is it just me, or are link combos inconsistent? I’m trying to practice rock’s 2lk 5hp link and it feels like the timing is all over the place

If I remember 2lk 5hp is a 1 frame link with Rock in CVS2. Since the game has frame skip to speed it up it drops frames, it drops 1 frame at random every 5 frames is I believe how it works. So basically if the frame you have to do the link gets dropped you don’t get to do the link. This at least was the old school explanation for it, I believe it to be true though.

2lk is +6 and 5hp starts up in 4 frames so it’s supposed to be a 3 frame link. Thats what the cvs2 bible says at least

Actually the way the system reads it thats 2 frames then. 4 frames Startup in CVS2 bible means hits on 5th frame. Also that seems wrong but its been awhile and the frame skip thing does still apply.

Like I said I’m just quoting the cvs2 bible. So I’m guessing that a link combo would have to be 4 or 5 frames to be consistent

I could do 2 frame links consistently, bison cr.lpx2 cr.mk and a few other ones.

2 Frame combos were pretty frequent in this game. Chun cr.lp to cr.mp and sagat cr.lk x 2 are the ones that come to mind first.

What’s the best way to practice RC nowadays without PS2 or DC?

PS3 or is the Dreamcast emulator any good?

The PS3 version should be fine to learn the timing for the button presses. But to test RCing through stuff on reaction, the DC emu would be your best bet if your PC is strong enough.

Basically the same as the last question with a twist, I have easy access to CvS 2 on ps2 or ps3 but I don’t have room for a CRT atm. My screen is a uhd samsung so I’m wondering which setup would be preferable: a ps2 on a modern tv or the ps3 version of CvS 2.

I do intend on getting a better setup in the future whether its on pc or a nice CRT setup, but for now the Samsung 55" is what I have available.

if you ever have the option, go PS2.