Asus VH236H Monitor Help!

I recently purchased an Asus VH236H monitor to use on my PS3 for fighting games.

I’ve looked around for about an hour on SRK and google to try to find someone who can explain what the proper setting to have on the PS3 as well as the monitor that will be ideal for SF4 and soon MVC3.

A few of the questions I have are:
Monitor:

1. Do the different modes, standard, theater, game, night view and scenery have any effect on the monitor other than color and brightness. My thought is that if it is doing extra processing to the video signal before displaying it might cause extra lag.
  2. I notice that you can manually control brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation, ascr? and overdrive? Are there preferred settings to these adjustments or is it just personal preference and situational to the lighting conditions the monitor will be used in.
  3. What are ascr and overdrive? any effect to the functional use of the monitor or same as above?
  4. Any recommendations for carrying the monitor around? I usually just throw the thing in my car kind of worrying about it sliding around and scratching it up or damaging it. How do you carry yours to sessions?

SF4 Game:

1. Is it better to adjust brightness on the monitor or to adjust it in the screen con fig options.

PS3:
Display Settings:

1. Should the Cross Color Reduction Filter be on or off?
  2. Should the RGB Full Range be set to limited or full?
  3. Should the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White be set to on or off?
  4. Shoudl the Deep Color Output be set to automatic or off?

I do realize many of these questions have no effect on the gameplay or lag, but I’m the kind of person that likes to know what my options are and to fully understand the technology. Please offer any advice, information you may have that is relative to my setup. I understand the setup of the PS3 is mostly relative to which kind of tv/ monitor you are using. Thank you

I have a VW246H, pretty much mostly the same.

1. Nope.
  2. It’s somewhat personal preference. Unless color accuracy is super important to you or your job, just tweak until you find what you like.
    3.ASCR is “ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio” which changes your contrast ratio dynamically depending on what you’re viewing iirc, I prefer to leave it off.
    3².iirc Overdrive is supposed to decrease ghosting, but I think it causes more ghosting.
  3. I usually leave it in the backseat on the floor between the passenger seat and the back seat, it keeps it stable. I did accidentally hit it when rolling up my hdmi cable once and it has a small chip on the screen, hard to notice though.

SF4

1. I do both.

PS3
I can’t help you there.

Oh wow, I thought I had to put it in “Game Mode” to receive no lag.
I also thought if I edited the color settings it’d effect lag too.

I can’t say for all Asus models but when I tested the lag I saw no difference in my results.

For travel: I just pack the monitor into the original box and put it in the backseat.

thanks for the info
does anyone know anything about the PS3 settings?

1. Do the different modes, standard, theater, game, night view and scenery have any effect on the monitor other than color and brightness. My thought is that if it is doing extra processing to the video signal before displaying it might cause extra lag.

**No **

1. I notice that you can manually control brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation, ascr? and overdrive? Are there preferred settings to these adjustments or is it just personal preference and situational to the lighting conditions the monitor will be used in

I leave this at default, unless your image is out of adjustment

1. What are ascr and overdrive? any effect to the functional use of the monitor or same as above?
    As I see it, it is marketing bullshit. Best leave it off**

2. Any recommendations for carrying the monitor around? I usually just throw the thing in my car kind of worrying about it sliding around and scratching it up or damaging it. How do you carry yours to sessions?

**Keep it in a spot in your car where it receive the least amount of movement, like your back seat. If your nervous you can wrap the screen in a blanket **

SF4 Game:

1. Is it better to adjust brightness on the monitor or to adjust it in the screen con fig options.

**In Game Config options. **

PS3:
Display Settings:

1. Should the Cross Color Reduction Filter be on or off?
    Off

2. Should the RGB Full Range be set to limited or full?
    Full

3. Should the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White be set to on or off?
    regular Component (video is 1 yellow plug) leave off, on composite (3 rca connectors for video) turn on
    You can turn it on for HMDI

4. Should the Deep Color Output be set to automatic or off?
    Auto