[Aug 13, 2011] SBO SSF4:AE Southwest Qualifier @ Arcade UFO, Austin, TX August... (Austin, TX)

Update 8/6/11:

I am going to make an exception to the “passport” rule to encourage participation. As you know, the cost of flying the winners to Japan will be extremely high so we really want as many teams as possible to enter and support the winners.

Even if you don’t have a passport, you will be allowed to register. If you make it to the Grand Finals of the event, we will discuss what options you have for getting a passport in time.

We will proudly be hosting the 3rd and Final official *Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition *qualifier for Super Battle Opera 2011, the 9th Annual Arcadia Cup tournament and the most prestigious fighting game event in the world.

Live Stream

Date:
Saturday, August 13th, 2011

Registration Begins: 1:00PM
Registration Ends: 2:00PM
Tournament Begins: 2:00PM

3101 Speedway
Austin, TX 78705
http://arcadeufo.com/location.php
Closest Airport: AUS (Austin Bergstrom Int’l Airport)
13 miles from airport, 20 minutes by car, 30+ minutes in traffic.

Public transportation is available, but slow. We recommend a car rental.

Closest Hotels
(1.0 mile away, 20 minutes by foot):
Rodeway Inn / University:
http://www.rodewayinn.com/hotel-austin-texas-TX191
Rate: ~$70/night. Check site for exact rates. Book early.

(1.0 mile away, 20 minutes by foot):
Days Inn / University:
http://www.daysinnaustinuniversity.com/
Rate: ~$75/night. Check site for exact rates. Book early.

[SIZE=13px]Downtown Hotels[/SIZE]
(~3 miles away, walking distance from famous “6th Street” bar/party district):
La Quinta Capitol:
http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=907
Rate: ~$120/night

Just Google “downtown Austin hotels” for more choices, there are more options but most of them are more expensive!

Registration

All registration will be on-site before the event begins. There is no online registration or pre-registering for this event.
A U.S. Passport is required to travel to Japan. It is recommended that you apply for a Passport NOW if you are attending this event. Expediting a Passport request costs MORE MONEY, so you will save by doing it now!
For More Information:
[COLOR=#930000]How to get a U.S. Passport in a Hurry[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#930000]U.S. Passport Processing Times[/COLOR]

To participate in the [COLOR=black]SBO Qualifier event, your team must consist of two U.S. Citizens. Non-U.S. Citizens are not permitted to enter. You will need a U.S. Passport to travel to Japan if you win the SBO Qualifier. If you make it to Grand Finals and do not yet have a Passport, we will discuss your options for acquiring one in time for SBO.[/COLOR]

Registration Fee
$30 per player ($60 per team)
Prize: [COLOR=black]SBO Spot + Two round-trip tickets to Tokyo from a major U.S. Airport of your choosing[/COLOR]
No pot split; entry fees will help sponsor the winning team’s plane tickets

General Rules:

• The winning team of the event will gain entry into the final bracket of Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition at Super Battle Opera 2011, and will have both team members’ plane tickets fully sponsored by Arcade UFO. You must take a round trip flight from the U.S., departing from and arriving back to one major U.S. airport of your choice. The flight will be to and from Narita Airport (Tokyo).
  • Only the winning team will be granted this privilege, and the winning team must be available for the week of [COLOR=black]SBO[/COLOR] to travel to the event and represent the USA.
  • [COLOR=black]SBO[/COLOR] is taking place this year on September 17th, 2011, at Makuhari Messe convention center in Chiba (near Tokyo, 45 minutes away by train). Remember to take the time difference and travel time into consideration.
  • If you cause physical damage to any machine at Arcade UFO in any way for any reason, you will be ejected from the tournament and venue with no refund. If the person causing damage is on a team, the entire team will be ejected.
  • In the case of a joystick or button malfunction, you must report the malfunction DURING THE ROUND IT OCCURS. Once a round is over, it’s done.
  • If a joystick or button malfunction is reported, it will be tested thoroughly. If there is determined to be an issue, the machine will be repaired promptly and the match will be replayed. If there are determined to be no issues, you will be awarded a loss for the match. All rulings will be final.
  • We will assist the winning team in locating housing in Japan (at their expense), and you will be accompanied on your trip as needed by an interpreter.

Schedule
Saturday, August 13th

1:00PM: Registration for SBO Qualifier

Start - 2:00PM sharp
[SIZE=15px][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Format: Double Elimination bracket, Waseda-style, best of 3 rounds, 1 match only[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
In Grand Finals, the losing team must defeat the undefeated team twice.

We will use [COLOR=#930000]challonge.com to generate an unbiased, random tournament bracket. The bracket will be generated completely randomly; no “do-overs”, no seeding, no floating brackets, no shadiness.[/COLOR]

• Arcade version on head-to-head Delta HD Cabinets (16:9 aspect ratio).
  • Joysticks are Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y, buttons are Sanwa OSBF-30.
  • The first player (Player A) on each team must be reported to a judge before each match begins (double blind).
  • Player A from each team will play, and then Player B from each team will play. A 2-0 record will result in a victory, while a 1-1 record will force a playoff between Player A and Player B.
  • You cannot switch characters after your initial selection. The winning team must use the characters they qualify with at [COLOR=black]SBO[/COLOR].
  • Further details may be added later.

**See you guys at Arcade [COLOR=black]UFO in August! Come hungry! Post up if you have any questions at all. **[/COLOR]

闘劇 Super Battle Opera 2011 Qualifiers
Hatin' from experience, the LouisianA Thread Live by our rep
Austin Thread @ Arcade UFO
闘劇 Super Battle Opera 2011 Qualifiers

what SBO has a qualifer?, yeah! somebody better stream the finals in japan…or else!

It’s amazing to me that nobody has posted here, I’ll be there ofcourse ;p

teammate? i play honda still…:frowning: how about a yun player ehhh ehh?

really wana make this

Q: Since the SSF4:AE cabinets at Arcade UFO have pad ports, can I use a pad or custom joystick for the qualifier?

A: No. You must use the controls built into the arcade cabinets (Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y joysticks and Sanwa OSBF-30 buttons)

On the one hand, I think it’s important for the strongest players in the US to represent us in Japan. On the other hand, it is integral that the players’ performance in Japan is as high as we can possibly provide, and I believe the only way to do that is by forcing players to use the same type of controls as SBO.

We could technically be allowed to do otherwise, as SBO qualifiers in other countries are largely unmonitored and we could get away with pretty much anything. However, that is the mentality that has taken away a lot of the integrity that SBO has, and I still personally believe that SBO is the best display of skilled fighting game play in the world.

Ultimately, it is up to the individual tournament organizers to keep SBO a fair and prestigious event, and I think that allowing non-Japanese-arcade controls including American stick, pad, etc. would both reduce our chances of sending the highest-performing team as well as cheapen the integrity expected in events of this caliber.

ill be there for sure, now just gotta find a partner lol

ill be your partner house. imma body all these foolz thinking they going to japan.

Can’t I just apply for passport after I win?

I am going to make an exception to the “passport” rule to encourage participation. As you know, the cost of flying the winners to Japan will be extremely high so we really want as many teams as possible to enter and support the winners.

Even if you don’t have a passport, you will be allowed to register. If you make it to the Grand Finals of the event, we will discuss what options you have for getting a passport in time.

Another note: it is going to be HOT at the arcade! We do have central air conditioning, but once there are about 40-50 people in the arcade, it simply isn’t powerful enough to cool everyone. Dress appropriately, bring extra deodorant, and we’ll do our best to accomodate everyone with water. The average highs in Austin this week are 105 degrees.

Utah is in there see you guys soon.

sorry total just saw ur post and i already have another partner

i might come along …

Q: Do you offer refreshments at the arcade?

A: We don’t offer them at the arcade, but there is a convenience store literally right next to us. We’re also going to try to offer free bottled water for SBO participants due to the expected temperature (forecast says sunny and 105 degrees)!

Q: Will we be able to play AE casually at the arcade for practice/money matches/etc?

A: For casuals, we’re going to have two sets of head-to-head console versions of AE on arcade machines. These machines run on timers; each token refills the timer by 2 minutes for BOTH SIDES, so you can always play a game for two tokens without time running out. If there are fewer than 20 teams or so, one of the arcade versions will also be available on regular pay for play.

So all in all, it’ll be 4 head-to-head setups with AE (8 cabinets) with at least one arcade version for tournament only, so there will be either 2 or 3 sets available for casual play/grudge matches :slight_smile:

any mvc3 there?

We were planning on removing it for the day to have enough AE setups for casual play, but we can have one of them as MVC3 based on demand, I will ask the players what would be best during the event :slight_smile:

I guess I’ll note here, if anyone needs housing for friday, I have room for 2 maybe 3 people. More if you don’t mind sleeping on the floor.

Still looking for a partner :frowning: PM me if anyone might be interested in teaming with a Blanka player.

Louisiana isn’t coming. Unless I find a good partner, I’m probably not going either.