Comprehensive Move List
Now that we have dedicated character sections, let this thread serve as the “general info” thread. Things like special moves and normals can go in here.
More specific strategies should be kept in their own individual threads. This will allow new people who want to learn Rog easy access of the information that they need.
Once you feel you are comfortable with the game / engine and with Rog as a character, feel free to check out the frame data thread where a more technical analysis of the moves can be found.
If you think I have missed anything, speak up and I will edit my post!
General Syntax / Notations:
Across my posts in this forum, I may have (unintentionally) used terms interchangably. Here is a general break down of what the terms mean:
jab = LP = light punch
strong = MP = medium punch
feirce = HP = hard punch
short = LK = light kick
forward = MK = medium kick
roundhouse = HK = hard kick
d,b,f,u (down, back, forward, up)
or the “num pad” notation
789 | ub u uf
456 | b n f
123 | db d df
Look at the number pad on your keyboard. Each digit represents a direction (assuming that your character is on the 1P side)
Normals to Note:
cr fierce - general anti air
cr short, cr jab, cr strong, cr forward, far st jab - all are great block string pokes
st HP, HK - great pokes at max range (don’t get baited by FA tho!)
jump straight up fierce P (hold b or f while still in the air) - good for avoiding fireballs (“wiggle” punch from ST)
jump in fierce P - your jump in to use for combos / block strings / air to air hits
jump in roundhouse - more of a “downward” hitbox. hitting at a 45deg angle
General Note about EX moves
- Some EX moves have invincibility on startup. Others have a 1 hit super armour and/or register for multiple hits.
- All of Rog’s EX moves have 1 hit super armour except headbutt which has invincibility (Credit: Thanks Cole)
- Each character however has an “armour break” move. This will nullify the super armour of your attack.
- If your super armour absorbs a non armour break hit during the move, you will take the damage from the hit as “recoverable” damage (similar to SA)
- However Rog will continue forward with the move
- If you don’t have enough health to take first hit, then you will die.
For example: if you try and EX rush punch through a fireball with a sliver of life left, you will die.
How To Maximize Your Charge Time
Credit: Sean Gilley
Gilley, SF Guile expert, has been kind enough to upload a video demonstrating the trick behind maximizing your back (or down) charge time. He uses Guile as an example in the video but the same principles can be applied to Rog.
This trick is particularly useful in those EX Rush Upper loop combos, where the extra frames of charge really make the world of difference.
Charge “storing” or “partitioning” does not exist in SF4.
Rush Punch - Charge :l:, :r:+:p: (:2p: for EX)
- LP/EX version safe on block at max range (tip of glove hitting opponent)
- can hit crouching opponents
- EX rush punch is good for going thru fireballs (via hit absorb)
Rush Upper - Charge :l:, :r:+:k: (:2k: for EX)
- whiffs crouching opponents
- after landing EX, there is enough hit stun to link either (depending on your spacing and size of character):
cr jab or cr short
**Ground / Lower Rush Punch - Charge :l:, :df:+:p: (:2p: for EX) **
*must be blocked low
*safe on block if tip if not too close
*opponent can not tech/quick get up after knockdown
**Overhead Rush Punch - Charge :l:, :df: + :p:, Hold :p: (:df: + :2p:, Hold :2p: for EX) - ARMOUR BREAK **
- must be blocked high
- breaks SA
- does not knock down
- lots of startup on punch, not combable
- after landing EX, there is enough hit stun to link (depending on your spacing and size of character):
cr short (has slightly better range than cr jab, good for combos)
cr roundhouse (timing is tight)
- sample combo: EX overhead rush punch, ~ cr LK xx HP Headbutt, Ultra. This combo doesn’t work on a crouching Blanka (the headbutt whiffs). Something to do with the size of his hitbox.
- see this thread below for more follow ups
Torpedo Punch - Charge :l:, :df: + :k: (:2k: for EX) - ARMOUR BREAK
- hits crouching opponents
- breaks SA
- knocks down, sends opponent to the end of the screen (ala marvel series ?flying screen? air combo enders) ? useful when you want to force opponents to corner
- can be combo’d off a normal at point blank range
- another thread with more info: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=180879
**Headbutt - Charge :d:, :u: + :p: (:2p: for EX) **
- invincibility frames on startup (can go thru fireballs!)
- FP headbutt has hella horizontal range
- get into the habit of executing the move using UP BACK. This way you keep your back charge!
**** Maintaining your back charge is the key to juggle with ultra afterwards:
charge d, ub+punch, [hold b as you land], f,d,f+PPP, then during ultra hold KKK for rush uppers to juggle***
more info here:
Turn Around Punch (TAP) - Hold :3p: (or :3k:), Release :3p: (or :3k:) - ARMOUR BREAK
- invincibility frames on startup (use it to go through fireballs!)
- does more dmg the longer you hold PPP (or KKK)
- can hit crouching opponents
- can link a cr jab afterwards if TAP was a counter hit
- more info found here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=172891
** Crazy Buffalo Charge (Super Combo) - Charge :l:, :r:, :l:, :r: + :p:, (Hold :k: for Rush Uppers) - ARMOUR BREAK **
- can super cancel from a rush punch and TAP
- rush uppers is useful for juggling
- goes thru fireballs on startup
- can use to juggle after a headbutt
- not safe on block
** Violent Buffalo Charge (Ultra Combo) - Charge :l:, :r:, :l:, :r: + :3p:, (Hold :k: for Rush Uppers) - ARMOUR BREAK **
- main use is to juggle after a headbutt (also possible to juggle after TAP and Torpedo Punch, if you hit them out of the air)
- goes through fireballs on start up
- not safe on block (your opponent can punish you 2 ways: a) after blocking the last rush punch b) in between the 2nd last and last punch)
During the Ultra, Balrog does 5 “waves” of punches. During each wave, the type of punch which he executes depends on whether or not you are holding a kick button.
Holding a kick button - Upper punch animation (has more of a vertical hitbox, use this to juggle)
Holding a punch button (or holding nothing) - straight punch animation (has more of a horizontal hitbox, does not juggle)
Depending on where you are on the screen when juggling with the Ultra, there are optimal wave patterns for your punches in order to connect for max damage / hits.
P = straight
K = upper
KKKKK - Midscreen
KPKKK - At or near corner
PPKKK - Works anywhere
PKPKK - At corner and if they are at or below your head height.
more details on how to juggle the ultra after a headbutt: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6217003&postcount=54