Barking up the wrong tree?

juri

Hello Juri players (Jurors?) I come to you with an odd question. I recently restarted playing SF4 after a modest absence from the game and decided to try and play Juri (again, as I enjoy the character design and the personality Capcom gave her). I have run into a problem, though: i’m terrible with her. I have been putting in time in both the training area and online to try and improve but nothing has seemed to work, and I am beginning to wonder if either i’m playing her wrong or if i’m just a bad match for the character. My preferred playstyle is usually fast/light characters (Ms. Fortune/Valentine in Skullgirls, Cammy in most SF, Chipp in GG, X-23 and Felicia in UMvC3 etc.) and I cant get anything (outside of basic specials and linking attacks while in FSE) to work with Juri and i’m low on “good” ideas. With this being the best place for knowledge on the character I wanted to see if anyone could help me in the right direction (if there is one).

tl;dr I really want to try and seriously play Juri but I think my playstyle cant mesh at all, any aid or opinions?

Edited to fix information clarification and spelling mistakes

The question is: How do you even play her ? Besides that it’s hard to give advice if you don’t pin point with what you struggle with mostly.
Your explanation is so broad that theres no answer that would really help you because we don’t know what you do wrong.

Here are some questions to answer:

• How do you play her
  • What do you know about her fireball (besides that you have to store it and that if you release the button theres plasma coming out of her foot)
  • Do you jump a lot ?
  • How do you utilizie her offensive tools ? What are her offensive tools anyway ?
  • Do you think she is a rushdown character ?

Ah, my apologies on making such a broad phrasing (looking at it now makes me wonder what I was trying to say)

I try to play her by staying in my opponent’s face to force them into a corner and keep them out of the air via normals and fireball (but it only works so much).

-Rushdown with slight Mix-up
-The Fireball is a good source of aid in both covering an advance and making the opponent go where you want them to (via change up on your angle of attack)
-Far, far too much
-I find myself [over]using her Divekick and Pinwheel (primarily EX Pinwheel on wakeup) and leaving the counter ability fairly barren and fireball used as a way to frustrate my opponent.
-Not as much as the ones I listed but she is someone with a lot of options available who can rushdown decently.

Hmm, looking at the answers makes me notice just how improperly i’m utilizing her tools and trying to get a different playstyle completely. It looks like the lack of any zoning game in what I do (which seems to be a difficult habit to break) is limiting me badly.

I’m going to tell you what I honestly think, and perhaps other people here won’t like it I’m not sure. I learned how to play fighting games with Juri starting about 9 months ago. She is difficult to use. I used to think I could overcome it, but I’ve become exhausted with trying and trying and still failing after months of effort. I regret choosing her. You could be different, only you can find out yourself. It’s possible that I could have even picked Ryu and become frustrated with him, as every character has faults. But it really feels like Juri’s difficulty is what is causing me to become frustrated.

She is difficult to use because she has no crutch to rely on like other characters. You can be extremely shit at footsies but still do well with Ibuki or Cammy if you land a knockdown and utilize your vortex.
If you’re completely bad at teching or blocking you can get out of situations with Akumas or other characters teleport. With some other characters you have an invincible reversal where people online just can’t adapt against like deejay. And other characters like Balrog can just dashpunch or ex dashpunch and most people don’t how what to do against it. The thing is you’re probably not winning but your character is.

Juri is pretty much a jack of all trades. She can zone, and depending on the character you’re playing against it might be the best fireball in the game. Against others it might not work as good (e.g. Honda and Bison).
Her offense generally is “good” and rewarding if you hit something but you need to be on your toes all the time. You don’t get too much chances to start an offense so you need to make good reads to make it worthwhile.
Now her footsies are also good and they’re getting better in USF4 but she is still no balrog or chunli that can stick out buttons all the time. Her walkspeed is also just a tad slower than the average walkspeed.

Due to all this she has no crutch to rely on and thats why she might not be a beginner character but you learn the important stuff with her imo and everything transitions to another character.
If you get good at footsies with Juri you might even be better with a character that has better walkspeed or pokes. You also get an idea of how to get past fireballs or you learn to notice certain patterns with offensive based characters. If you become good at opening up people with Juri you will have no problem with Cammy, Cody, Guy or Akuma. All the stuff you learn with her will benefit you with other characters so transitioning won’t be that hard. At least that was my experience.

I consider Juri to be a zoning / rushdown hybrid type of character. As I already said she is a jack of all trades but a master of none. Most of the time you will find yourself trying to zone though and if the situation allows it you can try to be offensive like after forward or backthrows / senpusha / store knockdowns etc or if you have your opponent cornered.
Mastering her fireball is probably really important. Storing at the right ranges and reacting to your own fireballs.
Heres just a small example:

You stored a fireball and you threw it. It’s on screen and your opponent can do a few things.

• blocking
  • neutraljump
  • backjump
  • forwardjump
  • focus dash forward
  • focus dash backward
  • using an invincible special

If hes blocking or neutral/backjumping it you can store another fireball on reaction. Which means you store the moment you see the blue blockthing appear. If he tries to jump into your store you’re able to antiair.
If he jumps forward you can easily antiair and cancel your antiair into a store and take notes of what hes doing upon landing. If he is backdashing or focus forwarddashing you can try to shoot ex fireballs after you antiaired him next time in order to blow it up. If he is close enough you can also dash under him and start your offense there (crossup cl.MP) etc.
Focus forward dash usually loses to store unless he spaced his dash right which can be pretty hard. This “flowchart” is of course characterspecific and you have to adapt all the time. Sometimes you need to use your fireball as an extended poke at close range and sometimes you need to go on offense which means you maybe have to burn 2 bars to keep the momentum going.
Against Balrog you can shoot fireballs and once he starts turnpunching through them you can react with Ultra 2. If Dudley tries to get through fireballs with his Duck move you can react to it with cr.MK xx Senpusha.
If you happen to antiair with j.MP you can cl.HP xx store or LK pinwheel you can safejump your opponent. Once your opponent hits the ground (the exact moment if not a few frames earlier, the timing is strict) you can safejump him and of course after safejump you can apply basic pressure with frametraps or instant overheads. Due to the constant adapting and the risks she has to take with stores sometimes and also her lack of an invincible antiair makes her fireballgame the one with the highest skill ceilig imo. Next to Sagat maybe. You can craft your own strategies against some characters and be kinda creative, at least midscreen.

Also: don’t jump, don’t use ex divekicks or divekicks unless you want to punish something on reaction (e.g. cr.MK xx hadoken or fullscreen fireballs). She also can’t rushdown too well. You have mostly 2 chances to frametrap your opponent. After that you can’t get in again without taking huge risks or you have to burn 2 bars to keep the momentum going.

Even if this all might sound indepth it still is just a broad explanation of her zoning in general with a few examples.
Almost every matchup has to be played differently and on top of that you also have to adjust to your opponents habits.
You have to adapt all the time. Depending on your opponents position, meter, tools and habits he has you might need to play footsies at certain ranges where you normally would throw fireballs and vice versa against others. The hardest skill to learn imo is to switch between both playstyles and figuring out when to use what tool to really get the most out of her, but it seems like it will be easier in USF4 due to her buffs.