Basic Street Fighter Terminology for Stream Announcers

I’ve noticed on some tournament streams that announcers mix up some basic Street Fighter terminology regarding matches, and use a lot of inside lingo when referring to names of attacks. As fighting games and online streaming become more popular, I think it would be helpful if standard terminology was adopted to help grow the fan base of Street Fighter.

Match Terminology

Every time you play Street Fighter, you play a game. A game consists of three rounds. You need to win two rounds to win the game.

In a tournament you play matches. In most tournaments, a match consists of three games. You need to win two games to win the match.

Only in the grand finals of a double elimination tournament are there sets. The player coming from the winner’s bracket needs to win one set to win the match. The player coming from the loser’s bracket needs to win two sets to win the match.

Standard Tournament Match: Win two rounds to win the game. Win two games to win the match.
Grand Finals Match: Win two rounds to win the game. Win three games to win the set. Win one/two sets to win the match.

Names of Attacks

Most people reading on SRK probably know what is meant by terms like ume-shoryu or tatsu, and on SRK it’s fine. Streams on the other hand have the potential to reach a large audience, and hopefully, turn new viewers into fans/players. But I think it can alienate new fans/players if they are bombarded with unnecessary inside terminology all the time.

As a general rule, I think it is best to use an English word or phrase when possible, and save Japanese and other inside lingo only for the few instances where it makes sense, or it is more generally used than the English equivalent.

For example, fireball, dragon punch, hurricane kick, etc. are all very descriptive and have been commonly used for years. We also have well established shortened versions like DP for dragon punch. It is also easy for a casual fan to connect slang like chucking plasma to throwing fireballs.

Words like hadou or tatsu on the other hand are not English, and not even standard Japanese, but rather slang abbreviations of Japanese. And then consider ume-shoryu. This combines the slang abbreviation for dragon punch with an abbreviation of Daigo’s last name. Many gamers have heard of Daigo–but outside of SRK not many can connect ume -> Umehara -> Daigo Umehara. A casual viewer is more likely to understand what a psychic-DP is than an ume-shoryu.

Personally, I am excited that there are tournament streams every weekend and the viewership is growing larger and larger. I’m just thinking what is necessary to make Street Fighter broadcasting more mainstream–and I think little things like using standard English terminology can help lower the barrier of entry for new viewers to become hardcore fans.

FREE=when someone loses, they are FREE. e.g. “Daigo lost. Stay FREE, Daigo”

EXPOSED=what someone is when they are FREE “Daigo lost. Daigo got EXPOSED”

SCRUB=what someone is when they are EXPOSED “Daigo lost. Daigo is a SCRUB”

thats pretty much all the average stream monster needs to know :coffee:

IMO there should not be a forced standard.
Fighting games have a lot of history under their belt so I can accept and embrace each person being used to different names.
Just stop calling Ryu “ROO” or “RAYOO”

Scoops!
So pringles right now
Here she goes shooting salty balls!

I’ve noticed what a stupid topic this is.

For the record, I’m against the removal of fighting game jargon because the outsiders feel like outsiders. That’s what they are and that’s the purpose of it, it’s the language of the FGC. If they want to immerse themselves into it, they can look it up (I just googled umeshoryu and found the definition and origin) or learn it from how people use it. It’s not rocket science to notice that every time someone gets thrown, the announcer says “scoops”. If you watch any sport on TV, they don’t explain every thing like the people watching it never watched it before or stop using terminology because outsiders might not know what “par” or “birdie” or “eagle” or “nil” or “love” means.

Not sure why tatsu/hadou is a problem, the official names are in the game manual and in game move list and it’s easy to notice tatsu is short for tatsumaki senpukyaku and hadou is short for hadouken.

Just make a better glossary.

My main issue was with announcers confusing rounds and games and matches. This seems pretty basic but a lot of people get this wrong.

And for the jargon, my point is with using Japanese jargon over English jargon. We have perfectly good English words for most of these things.

Okay, I’m behind that. I guess I’ve become desensitized to the round/game/match thing because I didn’t even notice people still mixing them up.

Ryu did a kick, now he’s doing a fireball, now a sweep, damn that throw took away a lot of life. oh he lost.

We shouldn’t have to change our slang and terminology for the sake of viewers or new people

If you spend 10 minutes watching and thinking you can easily figure out what tatsu, hado, and umeshoryu are

dumbest thread on srk? if you’re watching a stream chances are you’ve played SF for more than 5 minutes, in that case you know what a hadou or tatsu is. /thread

Anyone interested in SF will figure out the main moves of Ryu and Ken, for sure. It’s everything else though. Why say something like “Zenpou Tenshin okizemi into Zesshou Hohou” when you can just say “Command grab on wake up into dash punch”?

It just seems strange to use more and more Japanese for things we already have words for.

no one uses that. it is always dash punch and command grab. stop making something as nonsense as this so trivial.

I’m with you on the more obscure japanese or even official english names but only because they aren’t user friendly, not because it’s another language. hadouken and tatsu roll of the tongue just as easy as fireball or hurricane kick. shakunetsu or whatever, or amazon river run are just dumb when you can say red fireball or slide. It’s all about ease of use. Sometimes the easier to use terms aren’t 100% clear to the newbies and that’s fine.

standard fighting game terms like oki(zeme) probably won’t disappear. And theres no reaosn to shy away from them.

amazing thread:coffee:

I’m actually for this. When my cousin was watching evo he was texting me, What’s a “EX Messiah Kick” so then I have to explain it to him. If he couldn’t figure it out, I don’t know how the mainstream audience will.

But it should be easy to simply explain that it was a move that the player did. I mean, should we really have to say “glowing upkicks that eat one bar of meter for extra damage” every time the move comes out, just for the mainstream?

What mainstream audience? Who is watching these streams that has never played a fighting game even once? If anybody is watching a Street Fighter stream they’ve played some Street Fighter.

i’m pretty sure if these people are new, they will think EX mesiah kicks sounds cooler and would want to learn what it means

same with psychic dp

even dragon punch sounds cooler then uppercut. once a new person hears dragon punch they will want to do it all the time