Beginner-Intermediate-Advanced Characters

Hey, I am still messing around with this game and trying to figure out which characters to pick. How would you rank the fighters in terms of ease of use, wiith 1 being the easiest to use and 5 being the hardest to use?

THough I’m a novice, I will start things off to give you an idea of what I want.

Hugo 2

He is pretty easy to use because combos aren’t a problem. He has good range and so long as you can pull of the 360 degree throw, remember to poke and taunt, you can do decently.

Ken 1

All you have to remember is poke and chain into a super and you will be OK. Also, since he is a shoto fighter, most people remember how to use him from previous Street Fighters.

Yang 4

This guy has no power. Therefore, you have to learn to constantly pressure and constantly rush without getting hit. I find this difficult. Especially because some of his moves and basic combos are hard to pull off consistently on the X-box controller (e.g., his EX moves.)

good start, bad finish

Chun-Li: 0

How hard is it to press fp, b+fp, and cr.mkXXSA2?

Ken and Chun Li are the easiest to play.

Alex is quite easy to pick up and play

not hard, but overusing a specific normal will get you killed.

If your looking with just some basic characters to pick up and play I’d say go Chun or Ken. They will teach you the basic fundementals of the game and whatnot and from there you can either choose to go with another character or just stick with Chun/Ken.

Or you can just say screw it and play whoever you want and learn them. Either way it’s all good.

I’d say Yun would be a 5 to a novice player, actually executing with GJ will take more time to learn than c. mkXXSA. I’d put Necro at a 4/5 as well, people who actually know how to execute with him are beast.

Ryu’s like a 2 – he deals huge damage with easy EX combos. There’s no complicated execution beyond links.

If your looking with just some basic characters to pick up and play I’d say go Chun or Ken. They will teach you the basic fundementals of the game and whatnot and from there you can either choose to go with another character or just stick with Chun/Ken.

Yeah, but they’re boring and overpicked. I would rather keep on picking Hugo than try to master those two.

Mainly I am considering a back up character.

The people I’m interested in are:

Ibuki

Yang (I suck with him)

Oro

Necro

I also like Dudley and Makoto but I already know they are easy to use. Besides, they are picked too frequently anyway.

Prepare to lose alot.

Why do you say that? Hugo is ranked even lower than these characters and I feel that I have a better a chance at winning with him than I do anybody else.

Apparently, Hugo might suck at high level play but he is easy to win with at low-mid level of play.

Do you think that above listed characters suck or that they are just hard to win with at a low level of play?

Chun and Ken are the easiest to pick up, and you can keep them for good since they both kick ass anyways.

And out of the characters you listed that you are interested in go with Dudley, he’s a good character with some awesome comboes. As for Makoto, I think she’s a pretty hard character to pick up.

Makoto is bullshit.

I think I am going to try out Oro. He seems interesting…

go to MAKOTO, she is really fun, when you can pull out two FUKIAGES after SA2, she become amazing =)

Yeah, but a lot of people pick Makoto (and Dudley too). I like to be characters that no one else uses…

BTW, I made this post to figure out how much time it would take to learn a more “exotic” character like Oro and Ibuki. I’ve never really seen a thread like this before, so I think it would be nice if someone could classify all the SF characters into Beginner-Intermediate-Advanced classes. That way I would know what kind of time I will have to spend learning a fighter.

I don’t want to know who’s the easiest–I just want some idea of how long it will take to learn say, Ibuki compared to Oro, Yang or Necro.

If you want to get good at the game and you’re just picking it up, any character you choose will take a long time to learn. I don’t know how long it would take you. Do you want to play competitively or just to mess around? To get good enough with your character to compete depends a lot on yourself and the character you choose. You have to learn all the mindgames and how to spot your opponents’ plans and how to get him to let you do your plans. It’s easier with characters like Ken and Chun, yeah, but the ones you’ve mentioned are basically mid-tier (Oro and Yang are a little higher, Necro and Ibuki a little lower). Which one would take the least amount of time depends on the style play you’re comfortable with. Try them all out for a while and see which one you click with the best, and then stick with that one.

Another thing is whether or not you have any good competition. If you’re just playing against the computer, you’re not going to get good with your character, period. If you’re playing with friends on a console, you probably won’t get that good either. The only way you have a chance of getting really good is going to a quality arcade or meeting up with good people for some console time. To get good you have to play against good people, essentially. The better the people you play against, the more quickly you’ll get good yourself.

To get good you have to play against good people, essentially.

Well, that is no problem with Xbox live.