Beginner looking for advice!

So I just signed up here, so hello everyone and sorry for the TL;DR in advance!

I have been a avid fan of fighters for many years now playing games like Super Smash Bros. and Tekken when I was young. In recent years my love for fighters was reignited when a friend showed me Guilty Gear X2 #Reload. Since then I have played Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, Blazblue, Persona 4 Arena, Street Fighter x Tekken, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Marvel vs Capcom 3. Over the years I have found that while I got my start in 3D fighters, I highly prefer 2D fighters now, and beyond that I favor games like Guilty Gear and Blazblue over Street Fighter. I currently own Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Street Fighter x Tekken, Persona 4 Arena, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

While I love these games, and I can honestly consider myself the best among my group of friends at the majority of these games, I know I am far from any sort of competitive level, which is what my goal is. It is not uncommon for me to get completely dominated online. I am looking for advice on how to improve my game in order to compete online. I am also wondering which games are big in the competitive scene right now, I know UMvC3 and SSF4AE are the 2 big ones, but I am wondering if Blazblue and Persona are still played a lot?

Anyways, any advice would be awesome, I hope to really improve my game with everyone’s help :smiley:

On a side note, I really like playing with 360 controllers, I feel they are very ergonomic and easy to use. PS3 controllers aren’t nearly as nice imo. However I was interesting in Arcade Sticks, is it worth it to get one and learn to play on that?

People still play Blazblue and Persona.

Uhm. To get better? Just keep playing. Play a lot, then play more, then read up. Then play more.

Do you play Ragna in BB? Just roll your face on your controller, that should help you with him (Y)

Haha, yeah I main Ragna and Relius in BB. Only matchup that really gives me trouble is Hakumen. Though I do play most of the characters, if anyone is a faceroll character, wouldn’t it be Noel? lol

Anyways, I’m kind of clueless one what to practice, I have all the base combos memorized on my favorite characters, do I fight hard bots or try to pull off super giant combos, etc? Also I suppose as far as reading, I should just research the characters I play?

I recommend going to Dustloop for all of your BB needs. I haven’t been there in a while, but it was definitely THE source for help, strats, info etc. for Blazblue. The main thing I would concentrate on, as far as practicing is concerned, is to work on your neutral game and setups. If you have the bnbs down, those would be the next steps.

Thanks, I’ll check Dustloop out!