Put a Neutrik RJ45 in one of my stick’s cord compartments earlier today, it was my first time with a Neutrik. Do a better job dry-fitting/measuring out than I did, I ended up with mine a bit crooked. I thought mine was perhaps too low, since I had to remove some material underneath the Neutrik inside, but looking carefully at jdm’s photos, I don’t think you can avoid having the inside of the Neutrik pressing up against the plastic inside the TE, you’ll have to do some cutting in that area.
I put mine roughly centered where the original cord exit was, so that my RJ45 cords wouldn’t bend to the side on their way out; this meant I had to dremel away the USB cord posts behind it. Also, it probably would have been easier to just cut out the area it was touching inside, but I used a Dremel to route out some plastic until the PCB and such weren’t pressing very hard into the inner plastic.
I could only find a 15/16" bit as a boring bit, not really the right tool for the job, and it worked well until it sort of caught the original cord exit hole, and half of the hole broke away, perfectly circular along its cut edge. The other half had a big circular score in it so I used a few small drilled holes along its perimeter + twisting with pliers + filing to finish it. Getting a proper hole saw would work fine, I’m sure, or positioning the Neutrik in a place where the original hole won’t matter. But, I gotta be me, I knew the risks with the hole in the way.
Making a new hole in the back looks like a very simple way to go.