Best way to play king?

king

Normally I pick characters that are extremely rush down oriented, but I love king and find that I’m more successful when I slow down and play more of a counter offense style. (excluding mixups after hard knockdowns) an example being block everything into shining wizard, air counter jump ins, shoulder tackle frame traps, jaguar step unsafe pokes. Everything I do is reactionary and my problem is if I don’t guess right I’m screwed. My question is what is the most effective way to play king? Rushdown, defensively, somewhere in the middle?

I’m playing Paul/King and use Paul’s slow/powerful style to play defensively, then tag in King to rush down, then switch again. Keeps the play speed varied.
I get people doing all sorts of crap when they see THE King running at ya lol

Right on I like that method, I’ve been using ibuki/king, and playing king very defensively because I use ibuki aggressively. I like the way you put it, King rushing you down can be scary haha I’ll have to start mixing it up and just go with a very aggressive team style.

I’m personally having very little success with King on point. Seems I can only get pressure going if King is coming from a cross-rush or tag cancel.

If I can land a RJB or EX RASC then I have a pretty good untechable knockdown where I can either safely tag out, store a counter hit or try a safe jump setup. If I guess right on my jump then I’m all in their face and even if they block I still have a good chance to eventually open them up. But if I guess wrong, then they’re out of my pressure and I’m kinda screwed/clueless about what I’m supposed to do.

I have no idea how to get in with King without relying too much on his j.fierce. And when I’m on the defensive I get blown up very easily. I just can’t seem to get pressure off me. I played a Kazuya/Heihachi player earlier today and every time I got knocked down it seemed like I couldn’t do anything. I was forced to take his disgusting mixups evertime. It was a real nightmare…

I got heihachi in the training room and recorded his mix ups, played them back then practiced his counter! Got it down after a bit. That’ll definitely teach em not to corner you. Also heihachis combos are slow enough to Shoulder tackle him away, if lucky on a counter to to get the wall bounce then turn the tide.

I play him in a counter offense way, but I need more rush down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmmm, will do. gonna try time my Mid Leg Screws while i’m at it. Would be AWESOME if it works out regularly ^_____^

I think I found your problem bro.

Haha i just noticed that too! Anyone for an oxymoron?

haha oh man… I’m an idiot. That is a big problem, let me clarify, I’m terrible at playing reactionary and don’t consistently do the moves that a given situation requires; therefore, I’m looking for alternative ways to play king that don’t require me to always be countering my opponent’s offense.

[media=youtube]I8eGTyko4Qk[/media]

Nice video.
Definitely king acts on reaction/counter better than a rushdown.

Whore out shoulder tackle like they’re the only buttons you have.