Blank Arcade Control Panel

Hey all, new here.

Here’s what I’m looking to do and want some suggestions:

I need a blank iL compatible 2-Player, 6+1 or 6+2 button (linear US SF2 plus an SNK lower left “A” Button OR upper right “D” button) control panel preferably on the heavier side (might weight it down afterward) to prevent lifting when playing with my more “expressive” fighting game friends.

For the life of me I can’t find a place that just sells good layout blank panels. I’m going to throw in iL competition parts (convex buttons) to make a good US-feel stick. Finish doesn’t really matter. Plexi top would be nice but not necessary.

I’d build it myself if I had the facilities and the faculties, but I am quite short on both. I’d appreciate any advice/direction out there.

Also, side question:

Anyone have any experience/success with the Xin Mo adapters? I haven’t quite decided what board I’m dropping in yet. I want something MAME ready using Windows Joystick/Gamepad functionality (i.e. not Keyboard emulation) to prevent ghosting in and make it compatible with SSF4: AE (PS3 compatibility wouldn’t hurt either).

Thanks folks.

EDIT:
This is the layout I’m thinking of, I’d appreciate your thoughts. The Buttons labels are based off 2 of the Chuthlu boards as suggested here.

EDIT EDIT: I’m already thinking about making it wider overall for more palm room on either side.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Updated the diagram, more palm room.

Haven’t heard of anyone doing blank control panels. Best bet would be to commission someone to make one for you.

For PCBs, the best option is arguably Toodle’s Cthulhu.
http://godlikecontrols.com/

Only reason to get the Xin Mo is if you need a 2 player adapter on the cheap.

I can build what you’re asking.
You say “panel”, but what you describe is a full case?
PM me with what you need and we can go from there. :china:

:u: This.

Agreed with D3v and Nite Walker

Check Trading Outlet for a used XArcade Tankstick (2P).

@kikimaru024, I am not thrilled with the button layout on the x-arcade (I currently own a Dual)

@the rest, Since I am looking for a two player setup, what PCB would you recommend?

You could go for an Ipac. 2 player capability out of the box, but I’m not sure how it works with the ps3.
Otherwise, 2 ps3/pc cthulhu boards are the way I’d go.

Answering message in a bit. :slight_smile:

I was reading that the Ipac is keyboard emulation though, right? I really want one that uses the windows gamepad/joystick instead of a keyboard. I’m thinking 2 Cthulhu’s is going to be the way to go…

@nitewalker waiting on that reply, I have a rough diagram for you and want your thoughts.

I’ve updated the OP with the layout I’m thinking of, I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Nice layout.
I was originally thinking that this is along the lines of what you had in mind:

Yeah that looks good, don’t know if I need quite that much space overall but definitely close to the right idea. Love the controller army in the background. Did you build that or have it made?

I built that in 2006. It’s also hinged so that I can open it up like a treasure chest to access the innards.

The controller army was more because of the fact that my brother and I had 3 Xboxes, 2 PS3s and 3 Wiis at the time. :slight_smile:

That’s awesome. I don’t think I could quite talk the girlfriend into a coffee table type of arcade platform, but that would be awesome. I especially like the hinged/storage idea. Maybe one day for my future “man cave” haha. You inspire me sir, very nice.

@d3v, nitewalker and darksaul;

Any reason you prefer cthulhu boards over something like this:
http://etokki.com/Playstation3/Joytron-Paewang-Revolution-PCB-Only

Different products; the paewang requires soldering and is compatible with the 360 and ps3; the cthulhu is ps3 only, unless you get the mc cthulhu or upgrade the IC chip on the ps3 cthulhu, in which case it’s compatible with a lot of systems except for the 360.

So if you want ps3/pc only, go for the cthulhu (IMHO of course); if ps3/360 compatibility is a must, the paewang is the easiest solution at the moment.

Some needs to aftermarket the joytron boards so they become solderless… stat.

There’s a harness to make it easier, but even without it the soldering isn’t too difficult.
As soon as the ps360+ is released that will be a no solder solution for multi console use, including the ps360 and ps3.

When is this PS360+ magical contraption you refer to being released?

No definite date yet, but testing in december, so hopefully soon after.

From akishop:
Latest News…

[LIST]
[*]During the start of December a number of pcb´s will be sent to an already selected few for thorough testing before opening pre-orders. Please do not contact us yet about price, pre-orders et.c, we will post when the time comes.
The main reason why it has taken this long to make is Size/Re-design. For more information about the pcb please read below…
[/LIST]
Product Information

[LIST]
[]Xbox 360, PS3 (with PS2 BC), PSX and PC support, smart-detection for all supported systems.
[
]USB Bootloader for firmware updates.
[]OSS (Open Source Software) for best possible community support (upgradable through USB). Early Q2, 2012.
[
]Headset jack for Xbox LIVE. 2.5mm audio jack and JST connector to choose from, JST connector compatible with SE and TE headset cables). Optional Headset Detection disable solder jumper for headset jack extension cable use.
[]Player LEDs for Xbox 360 and PS3 (on-board and external, cable included). Optional on-board LED disable solder jumper.
[
]USB “B” and RJ-45 jack with optional use of JST connectors (JST-cables included).
[]Start + Select = Home support (360/PS3) for custom arcade sticks without a dedicated Home/Guide button.
[
]SOCD support for all systems.
[]Software selected LS/DP/RS.
[
]95 x 45 millimeters in pcb size.
[]3.5mm pitch Terminal Blocks for easy hook-up.
[
]20-pin array of 2.54mm pitch holes for alternative hook-up.
[/LIST]

Sounds like it’ll be worth the wait.

Brook Universal Fighting Board Thread

Sounds like it’ll be expensive! :slight_smile: Haha