Blanka's Defensive Mixups Thread: Frame traps, Defensive Zoning, Baits and more

blanka

Making a new thread for this because this critical information is sprinkled across single posts in 3 matchup threads, the framedata thread and some videos. ITT, we collect info on his defensive zoning, actually practical frame traps, baits and situational defensive shenanigans.

Jimmy?s defensive mixups, in my opinion, are the most important part of his game, second only to footsies. With the exception of the extremely rare advantageous matchup where you can go ballin? all day with no punish, and can safely fight at immediate range, you?re going to be turtling. More so than that, Blanka has to be an active turtle, holding down back but chasing the sweet spot and baiting.

**Practical Frame Traps: **

Here?s illitirit?s list of all theoreticals.As he stated, not all of them actually useful because of the close/far positioning. Here?s the ones I?ve found to be the most useful and why:

On block:

*Close MP, Far HK *- as stated in the post, beats 2 frame pokes nicely, puts jab/short spammers on notice. Particularly useful for baiting opponents with an EX.DP to attempt throwing it out after the MP. Condition, block, punish.

*Far MP, Far LP (hit confirm) into ball *? Beats 3 frame pokes. Obviously not for on-hit ball punishers, but a nice tool to have in matchups where you spend a lot of time at st.HP max range to shut down pokes. It would be nice if it could be an LP piano?d to elec, but the range won?t connect. Ball will also stop those who like to focus bait when they see you throwing far MP.

On hit:

Close MP, Crouch HK ? Beyond all other pokes everyone loves an untechable knockdown, and here?s one that?ll beat 2 frame pokes. NOT FOR USE on Ultras that punish your sweep (Hosenka, Spiral Drive Smasher, Rolling Thunder, etc;).

Close MK, Close LP piano?d to HP elec ? A decent replacement for the above, minus the ultra punishability. Though close MK isn?t as good for throwing out as close MP, it allows for a close LP, which means it beats 2 framers and lets you safely piano one out.

Crouch MK, Crouch MK ? Makoto style, it frame traps itself. Stops 2 frames pokes. I don?t throw this out too often, only to create mixups by hopping to up-ball, or hit-confirming into U1. For the unaware, cr.MK to hop can, if spaced correctly, not crossup, allowing for an up ball mixup if they?re used to getting cross hopped.

Defensive zoning:

Good Beast players already apply this, but for those trying to improve their turtle game, know that as much as you?re playing in a reactionary manner, respecting the opponent too much will cost you rounds. Basically, proper turtling when you play defensively is doing so without allowing them to gain any ground that they don?t already have when the match starts. A default mindset that I like to start with (before switching it up) is split between preparing to react to any jumps with the appropriate ranged AA (cr.MP, j.HP, s.HK, Upball, or coward crouch into elec, a forgotten but useful AA), not throwing out cr.HP or cr.HK unless it?s a confirmed reaction**(a golden rule, as 25 fucking recovery frames gives the opponent time to grab a coke before jumping in for a combo)** getting in position to shut down whiffed long pokes with s.HP from the farthest possible range (sometimes you can go for a second s.HP, it?ll win out on careless footsies and effectively be a priority trap), and then, applying matchup specific zoning modifiers.

Those modifiers include things like:

Fireball matchups: walk forward, taking the chip if needed, but hold your ground. Don?t try to slide everything you see, know when the window has passed. Apply meter management, as they will always have more.

Safe sliders: Back-the-fuck-dash back to mid range. Don?t resort to careless pokes. Cross hop/rainbow when cornered.

Dive kickers: Same as above, except throwing in air-to-air j.HP punishes to obvious high dives, and never focusing low ones (You?ll get DP?d)

Safe on block charge chars: Fuck 'em. Understand that it?s a patience game. Rely on fundementals only. Use EVERY knockdown to crosshop and break their charge, even if you just chip them off, you?ll need every inch against shit like safe scissors and safe headbutts. This is more important that using the knockdown for meter building (which you should also be done in every other matchup)

Also, Blanka’s weird sized crouching hit box will ocassional save him from certain character’s BnBs. Learn these and don’t miss the moment when it happens.

Last minute shenaningans:

I find that every Blanka needs to have an arsenal of last minute rare situational gimmicks to break out when you?re both down to pixels of life. These are high risk, but if you haven?t played this card in the match yet, it?s a better gamble that it will work and win you the game.

*Option select jump-in HK/crossup MK to coward crouch EX elec *? Only when coast is clear on their wake up, and they have no get-out-of-jail-frees. Jumping in with no life is suicide otherwise. But it will catch a waking backdasher with the EX elec range, or things like a waking Rog headbutt.

Fake ball into slide ? scrubby and dangerous as fuck, but for some reason it tends work on even solid players once. Might as well make that once the round winning move.

EX. Rainbow chip ? the only time worth making this shitty hit connect is for a chip kill. Min range is easy to swing back and forth above their head, and they will not have enough life to focus with. Desperation ultras can be baited.

*U2 *? I know, every has learned how to punish it now. But they usually have to be grounded for that. Fuck up their timing by activating on any irresponsible movements that will offset the time before they can make that first jump, and they will be forced to eat the chip. In example, activate at the peak of a random jump back, or activate on a grounded opponent so that the first hit comes out meaty. It is still a hard to punish move if they are in a non-controllable state when the flash goes off.

Please correct mistakes, contribute improved strategies, and discuss.

Blanka Q&A Thread: Simple questions go here - not a new thread!

good thread,

just wanna mention from my experience fake ball into slide works when you’re fighting an opponent that likes to walk backwards to avoid fake ball into mixup because if you are LP balling and they are walking backwards… if the ball isn’t close enough they will continue walking backwards so you can’t land in front of them with the usual throw/electricity or other shenanigans mixups. If you do a ball that can reach them they can block and punish… and standing block ball usually makes punishment much easier…

but once they start using this strategy if you LP/MP fake ball slide will usually work well on them…

also can you explain the option select part again? I’m a bit confused by what you mean… or where the option select part is with your example. I’m assuming with your example… you’re trying to safe jump in with jumping HK/MK? and if they do an invincible attack you will block? and if they don’t you do coward crouch? I’m quite confused…

-LAU

Great info guys, will be working on adding this to my game!

Nice stuff Il add some stuff when Im done doing match ups in the comprehensive thread

One shenanigan that I’m using these days is hop focus. I make sure to do it when they’re looking to react to a ball. But I usually do it slightly out of range of their fastest poke. eg. vs crouching Ryu. Ryu will usually try to poke at that range with cr.mk xx fireball but if you release focus the moment you see the cr.mk you’ll get a crumple.

Thank you thirty. I have used the fake ball into slide quite often with surprising success.

Sure. you’re safe jumping HK/MK yes, while option selecting coward crouch, then activating ex-elec from the crouch. If they eat the jump in so be it. If they EX srk, you block. If they backdash, (*some *characters) will eat the EX elec. If they do anything else, you’re in crouch state and will likely EX elec them as they whiff.

Also dudes, something I started applying recently - don’t underestimate the power of dash forward(NOT hop) slide as a punish for full screen meter building shenanigans. I used to only use this against full screen gief lariats and yoga fire/kikouken/soul sparks, but it’s actually great for alot of meter builders with recovery, like ochio whiffs, makoto chops and so on. It’s extremely fast.

Of course, the good players will learn from this and start slide-baiting by throwing out focus from that range instead. I’ve then countered this by simply dashing up and throwing, thus creating a nice conditioning in their head - allowing you to revert to the original tactic, or, sealing away their fullscreen messing around.

I’ve only just discovered that safejump j.mk/mp, cr.hp is a frame trap on block. It looks like there’s a 1f gap. The problem of course is that cr.hp has tons of recovery (-10 on block) so it’s only something you can use once in a while against people who mash tech.

…who can’t Ultra-punish you.

You wouldn’t do this when someone has super or ultra. Besides, you can FADC out of cr.hp anyway. Not that it makes much of a difference in Blanka’s case lol.

Tired of 'sims slide interupting your precious close range game? Need more variety to your frame traps? Need to occasionally throw Dictator off his scissor rythm?** c.lk**. I really took for granted the reasons why T SRAI and Mizoteru use it so much in general - it’s Blanka’s party starter. c.LK > s.HK as a frame trap. If you don’t have the hitconfirm reactions, it becomes a link. If you do, c.LK > s.LP > elec, or ball to super, or U1.

Old news I know, but it was something I underused up close. I think I got complacent with c.MK and s.MP because they were easier to hitconfirm into combos, but yeah. Even if it sometimes creates a trade, it’s enough to get you back to proper footsie range, instead of sitting there up close and waiting for boxer/cody/cammy/dict to finish having their way with you.

I’m theorizing right now that being able to c.LK> U1 with 99% hitconfirm consistency is blanka’s ultimate damage output increaser.

If the character you’re fighting doesn’t have a poke fast enough, or if any of illitirit’s listed traps can practically set up a frame trap into c.LK off a block, everyone reading this text should hit training mode and learn to 1 frame this shit immediately.

cr.lk, cr.lk can trap if you do it meaty on their wake up like so:
[media=youtube]iQLLQXOuvrM[/media]

If you’ve got the reflexes to confirm the counter hit then it’s a 2f link into U1.

BlaBias best frame traps are obviously from electricity pressure. HP elec gives you +8, in general I can get them trained to block jab -> hp elec walk forward do it again walk forward s.mp. But with this it’s super easy to train them into other options or walk further the first time to reset and do it three times. The only problem with electricity pressure are

1. if you walk too much for the reset you end up getting dp, however if they start to do this you know you can bait them instead and they go sky high so usually anybody good won’t

2. they backdash or focus backdash away, well in this case after the electricity instead of walking forward you can just ball them or you can catch them with a slide maybe c.HK

IMO electricity pressure is THE frame trap probably one of the best in the game, sadly the range sucks and the block damage (that I just discovered) sucks as well. But in terms of ease to use and the amount of risk there’s no other frame trap that beats it

-LAU

BlaBias best frame traps are obviously from electricity pressure. HP elec gives you +10, in general I can get them trained to block jab -> hp elec walk forward do it again walk forward s.mp. (all this seems to be during their block stun) But with this it’s super easy to train them into other options or walk further the first time to reset and do it three times. The only problem with electricity pressure are

1. if you walk too much for the reset you end up getting dp, however if they start to do this you know you can bait them instead and they go sky high so usually anybody good won’t

2. they backdash or focus backdash away, well in this case after the electricity instead of walking forward you can just ball them or you can catch them with a slide maybe c.HK

IMO electricity pressure is THE frame trap probably one of the best in the game, sadly the range sucks and the block damage (that I just discovered) sucks as well. But in terms of ease to use and the amount of risk there’s no other frame trap that beats it

-LAU

it’s not just the damage. btw i thought HP elec was +10? i just checked eventhubs says it’s +10 is this wrong?

it’s not just the damage the more normals/specials you’re throwing out the more EX you build. Once blanka has ex meter things just change in a lot of situations. I play abels a lot and they all hate rainbow ball with a passion. So not only does elec pressure work great for frame trapping it’s also very good for building meter. Also cs.MK is one of my best tech punishers because you can link s.LP electrics. I do this a lot (probably too much lol). tight link too bad you don’t get + frames on CH cs.MK ;[ i think they should change that!

speaking of CH… not practical but it’s possible…

CH HP ball upclose can be FADC into c.LK… now you can go imagine the potential combos you can do.

-LAU

I think you do get + frames on CH close mk, it’s just that the frame advantage resets after the second hit, so effectively the only benefit is added damage. If you want the plus frames you have to perform a late meaty.

post up your weird strats:

~close st.mk was the only normal on block that allowed you to backdash and make sagats fierce TU whiff (worked in vanilla)
~doing cr.mk>st.lp x ballxsuper vs honda on block resulted (in vanilla) in the last hit of the super whiffing putting you right in front of honda, +ve and in position to throw.

You can dash over Chun Li when she’s knocked down. Not Hop, dash.

yes that is correct first hit is CH but it’s not CH at the end to link anything ;[. late meaty could workd but i’d rather do like s.MP then. i normally use it after any type of jumpin to punish teching.