Blue Nocturne: The Forgotten Super Art

remy

I’m just wondering does anyone use Remy’s third super art?

His other super arts do outshine this one, but I find there are many uses for it. Most of them have to do with playing mind games with your opponent.

For instance, normally when I do a c. short, and someone parries they are likely to retaliate. But if I’m using SA3 they are less likely to strike me back in fear that I will buffer the c. short into the Blue Nocturne. Or you could use it as a wake-up if someone is pressuring you, SA3 will make them think twice about sticking out a bunch of c. shorts. Another trick would be to jump in faking an air attack, land, and bust it out. I think as long as your bar is full (which shouldn’t be too hard b/c it’s so short and fills fast) your opponent will be a lot more cautious to react because he’s afraid of eating a super. I think this can put a halt to any opponent who likes to poke a lot and play footsies. My only gripe is that you can’t really EX too much which is real helpful, but not necessary.

Anyways those are my little tricks with this super. I like to mess with the other people’s heads, and this super allows me to do it . If anyone else has any input on the usage of this please post.

I use it occasionally, and I find the most devious use of it is to red-parry multi-hit supers and bust it in the middle. Or, if you can see it coming, point-blank parry and during a lull, bust it. It’s also useful with chun-li’s second super, the last hit gives you plenty of time.

Unfortunately, the inability to do EX moves is a rather large downside if you like charge buffering. In those uncommon occasions where you and yoru opponent have next to no life, remy has a definite advantage because he can charge buffer, and he has some of the best anti-air moves, which he can pull off immediately after an ex light of virtue.

I think if you use it often and try to trick your opponent into thinking you’re programmed to do only one thing after another (such as some low strike into an overhead), they’ll “anticipate it” and do some high-priority move in response. Either that, or intentionally miss a cold blue kick. They always fall for this, and the blue nocturne sucks them in at respectably long range.

Nice, thanks for the input. Hmm . . . only one reply. I guess that’s just a testament to show how no one ever uses SA3. I dunno I think seeing the reactions of the guy you’re playing is worth using it. Haha, anyways anymore input is welcome.

Mostly, they just totally pretend to be unimpressed by your ability to read them like the sunday papers, but I think it could be worth using if you play aggressively.

u cant blue nocturne the last hit of chun’s sa2, the kick will whiff completely…

its in a slim x vid… i forgot which but he showed it.

ummmm there is a blue nocturne thread already started… its annoying how ppl over look threads already started to write about something that is already there in the first freaking place…

lame:lame:

Jump in fake an air attack , BN I cant see ever working.

9 times out of 10 they will just throw you when you land (after attempting to parry nothing).

remy stryker told me a nice thing u can do if u jump in doing nothing, instead of throwing or teching thier throw u can LK CBK them and get a free damaging counter to their throw.

best ploy would be to do the BN after a CBK, but u have to be annoyingly good at not being thrown out of a CBK… BN is a good super to parry and counter with but to do it without a parry the best bet is a mix up with a throw/CBK/cr. LK/overhead game

u mix those 4 up, and it’ll be easier to slip a BN in.

BN is no good in high level competition because your opponent is going to do a good job about being unpredictable-- that’s why you don’t see that many parries in high level play.

But anyway, you want to know some good strats on using this? Here is when I use it (some are repeats of what others have mentioned).

1. After a blocked or whiffed CBK
  2. As an anti- wake up (your opponent is getting up.)
  3. Any time I can predict my opponent will attack.
  4. In the middle of chains or over used cancels or links

And never cancel into it! But that’s common sense. I only use BN when I’m bored. It’s a fun super, but seriously unreliable, unless you’re playing the CPU which is super predictable!

Something interesting for you all, and I wonder what you think about this. But the the BN is composed of 7 hits right? Well 6 of those hits come from moves that are regularly accessible to us.

The first hit is a Close Standing Roundhouse
The second hit is a Close Standing Strong
The third hit is a Far Standing Strong
The fourth hit is a Far Standing Fierce
The fifth hit is a Close Standing Roundhouse
The sixth hit is a mule kick!
The seventh hit is Roundhouse RRF

Where did this mule kick come from and why can’t we regularly use it (outside of this super!) TALK ABOUT SUPER POKING POWER!

I use abuse the hell out of Remy’s far standing forward. Imagine if I had this mule kick! Shite!

What do you guys think!?

The way remy’s hands are all over the place, he looks like he’d be unsure about using that kick normally outside of the super.

See, the way I think of it, blue nocturne’s not totally useless in high-level play, because although people do a good job of being unpredictable, everyone has patterns they fall into, even little tiny ticks. Not only that, but certain moves of remy’s look so vulnerable that recover pretty quickly (far, standing strong, crouching fierce). It’d be obvious if you just throw a slow move or an unnecessary cbk out there, but if you make it look like a mistake, or make it seem that you read HIM wrong, your opponent will most likely retaliate. Unfortunately, the blocked cbk is rarely good because 95% of the people I’ve encountered throw me (or at least try) when the kick connects early, and just block when it connects late. A cbk that lands short could be of great use, though. Considering top-tier characters, there are moves people depend on for their safety and speed, or whatever, not thinking about the consequences because they normally don’t need to when you’re too scared of their stuff to do anything but block. If you don’t telegraph really badly when you try for the super, it wouldnt’ be too difficult to land it on some often-abused move.

Of course, I’m no expert, that’s just what I see at the moment.

Moves I abuse, the far forward is good, but has limited use as just about every other one of remy’s moves. I find myself abusing the standing short. It’s almost like ibuki’s multiple jab game.

Back to the mule kick, they could have made that remy’s toward or back and roundhouse. They’d have to make it a bit slow on recovery for balance purposes, though.

mule kick would be good. the RRF at the end is the forward version of it cus the covery time is the same as the normal forward kick one.

Okay, there is either a difference between the dreamcast and the arcade or there must be some misunderstanding, because you can blue nocturne the last hits of chun li’s second super art–I just confirmed this on the dreamcast. If you parry all the hits or red parry the second wave and blue nocturne in the gap before the last hit, it will connect.

thats the same behavior as the arcade.

but if you block both waves and then BN as soon as possible then chun lis last hit goes right through you.

But if you parry, it will connect.

Ah, I SEE now…

Try this: Do the low forward early when they’re getting up. They’ll think you “messed up” and try to bust a combo since your move was to early for them to block it on wakeup. I mean, if you do it too late you will be vulnerable, but with some practice it should be a good lure. Or, you could just do it late enough for them to block it, close enough to be within ken’s crouching strong range but far enough to be just outside of throw range. The kick recovers almost as slow as the second hit of his sweep, but a bit faster so it’s a moderately effective bait for the blue nocturne.

I’m not sure about this, of course, but it seems to have worked so far, so these are some things to try.