Boulder Punching 101 - Chris Redfield Thread The Director's cut

Does anyone know if chris has a solid overhead on amaterasu

I don’t think he has a soild overhead on anyone except maybe sentinel.

well i mean j.S is an overhead on crouching opponents but i can never seem to get it to work on amaterasu, due to the fact that she is so low to the ground

I have the best luck with mashing L then hitconfirming the c.L into a combo when I hit the ground. It works well on larger opponents as well, as it’ll give a double overhead, which can be difficult to block when not looking for it. It causes a bunch of damage scaling, but I’m sure we can all agree it’s worth it.

chris ability to open people up is not that bad as people think he just lacks the speed to keep the pressure. with a pin down assist like sentinel drones chris has a lot of options after a jump in since his jump arch is so low, some of which are:

-basic jump H or S, preferably air H for the option select air throw
-jumping L,L, land down L,M to hit confirm, gives 2 overhead opportunities like nefarious joe mentioned
-jumping and when chris is very low to the ground but still in the air M, this move is unique because he can do it so low in a jump that it looks like he’s already landed but it’s still an overhead
-empty jump, ground throw, at point blank his throw will beat anything and can only be teched or jumped out
-empty jump, down L,M to hit confirm

with chris speed increase in ultimate it wouldn’t be a surprise to see more offensive chris’s.

I hear a lot of people in these threads refering to Haggar as a gtfo assist, I don’t get it. He is no mvc2 cyclops or ken. He can’t push the opponent away from Chris; like how Storm and Doom’s projectile assists can, as well as Akuma’s tatsu assist. Even Phoenix’s overdrive assist can push enemies away from Chris, and it beats out a lot of attacks and can nullify projectiles as well.

I also wanted to mention two more extra things about Chris, and that would be:

1. His ability to cancel his dashes into a jump. he may not be able to wavedash, but it it still has its uses. Like zoning with j. shotgun, or cancelling his dashes into a j. block for example.
  2. Chis can also cancel prone position into a dash. You basically input f,f or b,b, only you are giong to replace the second f or b with two attack buttons. However, it does not work after you fire off a shot. You’ll have to replace the input by quickly tapping u,then f/b and two attack attacks.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, normals can cancel into prone; but the combination to dash is out of it quickly is going to be the u, f/b + AA. During a blocked chain of attacks, you can cancel ground chain into prone, and just as soon as Chris hits the floor you can cancel prone with u, and go for another chain, dash away, jump or go for a throw.

Timing is extremely trick for the prone tricks though. You have to input everything fast and it takes a lot of time to master, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to jump or dash away while your opponent is still blocking, maybe even go for a somewhat mixup.

I can’t believe nobody saw any of this, if he can do these same things in umvc3, he is giong to be mean.

Opponent jumps in on Chris, something he has trouble with.
Call The Mayor
Opponent Gets hit, enjoy your free combo/Magnum/whatever

Opponent jumps in on Chris, something he has trouble with.
Call The Mayor
Opponent Blocks:
lob gernade H
Gun Fire M

Haggar doesn’t push them away with Lariat, but he sure as hell stops them from getting in your face allowing Chris to push them away himself.

I see your point; Chris can’t let The Mayor do all the work himself. Sounds fair alright; but when my opponent is usually witnin mid/close range, I’m usually planting mines, jumping around (a lot) while zoning with air pistol/shotgun (or baiting for an airthrow), and lobbing out a couple of grenades and immediatly following them with a forward dash (since M grenades are basically a mobile version of the mine as said by srk’s video strategy guide). Which can usually lead to a combo if they decide to go on the offense.

I don’t like using the ground variation of gunfire except on my opponents wakeup, if they choose not to attack and run away/turtle, or to extend/finish combos; ground gunfire leaves Chris in a vulnerable spot. Period.

yeah but in my example the Gunfire would be used while they’re blocking Fire Grenade. Chris is a chip monster and I tend to abuse this fact at every opportunity. I typically follow the M Gunfire with Task arrows and another gunfire

I don’t know if anyone’s already said this, but I noticed that your own Akuma’s assist disspates your Gun Fires if you call him out during one. The single fire gun shots though aren’t affected. This doesn’t really bother me much too much anyway because I use Chris as anchor often, but should Capcom fix it?

It eats projectiles regardless of who fires it. Gustaf fire does the same thing.

Yes, your right. But you should be throwing out grenades instead; because Akuma assist can push them back enough to where you can throw out grenades to try to bait them into a hard-hitting combo, or a minor chip-trap that will drain a good amount of their life.

In the interest of having the UMvC3 character threads be as awesome as possible, I am posting here to offer up my current Ultimate Dormammu Thread as a base skeleton to anyone who intends to manage a character thread, or something similar, in Ultimate. It is currently stripped of information, and will remain so until about a week before release. I am not attempting to toot my own horn, but rather offer to others what took me quite a bit of work to do, so that those who would rather not spend the time on such things do not have to.

I have received a lot of compliments to-date about the structure, and a few people have requested permission to use its structure for UMvC3, so I thought I would go around and make the offer to others who might not be aware that someone out there has already done the grunt work for them (haha). Because I am posting this in all the character forums, and this is time consuming on its own, I have not taken the time to check for how developed the thread I am posting on current is. Thus, I ask that no one be offended at my suggestion if your character forum is well constituted already - I mean no intrusion upon your methodologies!

Here is a link to the thread blueprint:

You can get an example of what it looks like when filled out here:

You are of course entirely welcome to change whatever you like if you want to incorporate this structure into your own thread. I have all of my posts saved as Word documents on my computer. If you would like these documents instead of having to copy/paste from the main threads, please feel free to PM me your email address, along with the character thread they will be used for, and I will gladly send them.

Highest Regards to All,
Karst

Hello all,

I’ve been considering picking up Chris, but when I mess with him in training mode and in casual matches I come across a problem. Namely, I have trouble DHCing into his Grenade super reliably. Sometimes I’ll get one hit, but then the opponent recovers and the rest of the shots merely chip. Am I doing something wrong? This happens most often if the target is in the air and was hit by a beam super (such as Shinkuu Hadoken).

I see the move has been receiving some discussion in the UMvC3 changes thread, so my apologies if this is a question whose answer is currently ‘in flux.’

If it matters, what I’m trying to be able to set up here is Frank’s Real Megabuster (a beam super, which I’m assuming he’ll have) DHCed into Chris’ Grenade Launcher super, and then either keeping Chris in there or DHCing into Amaterasu’s Okami Shuffle. Not sure if that explains much, but hopefully it’s something. Thank you for any help you can offer, in any case!

Chris’ Grenade Super is not an easy super to DHC into. There are two main ways to DHC into it correctly, first is that the opponent has to be standing on the ground for the first shot to freeze and the rest will connect afterwards. This means it won’t work if you’re using it as an OTG or if they’re in the air (only the first shot will hit and the rest will chip just like you said). Second off there are rare instances where a DHC into Grenade Launcher will actually work and all of his shots will fully juggle even without the freeze such as DHCing the last hit of Spencer’s Bionic Manuever (in the corner) into Grenade Launcher. Usually these are supers that keep the opponent airborne for long enough and place Chris directly below them.

So basically, if you want to DHC the real Megabuster into Grenade Launcher you’re going to have to do it without launching you’re opponent into the air. You do a ground combo and then hit them with the super, seeing how it is similar to Ryu’s Shinku Hadouken it should keep the opponent on their feet and then you will correctly DHC into Chris’ Grenade Launcher.

Other than what was stated above, there are also a few select hypers which will stay out after the DHC and juggle for a full hit if you time it right. LLND does it with the hsien ko knives and okami shuffle.

Point is, that fucker is really hard to DHC into. I tend figure out something into sweep combo instead.

Thanks for your replies! That said… ouch. That’s what I was worried about… doing that would cut most combos short. I take it this is unchanged in UMvC3, insofar as we currently know?

You could always THC to guarantee every hit as long as you’re on the ground and have the right super to keep them up long enough for the third shot to hit, but this depends on the assist you pick for both characters of course (if you’re using RYU, for example, you’re probably going to pick tatsu assist and that means tatsu super so you’ll have to activate THC up close. If you pick hadouken assist the THC will be shinkuu and you can THC from anywhere).

Usually if you’re looking to DHC combo into Chris you want to aim for something leading to sweep combo. There are many setups possible with many character/assists so you’ll have to experiment, just don’t use a ground bounce before the DHC.

Got my copy of UMvC3. Anything you want tested out?
Fair warning: I am not a technical powerhouse.