Ggs Yojimbo, Couple things I want to mention in our FT10
I don’t think it’s the matchup that you need work on, I think it’s your overall game, and I’m not trying to offend you when I say that, the reason being:
- When I’m in the corner, you let me out by walking backwards full screen, don’t do that, KEEP your opponent there by doing these things:
Use your AA’s (anti-airs) if I try to jump out of the corner; Balrog has GREAT AA, many of them: C.hp, s.mp, headbutt, Ultra1.
Use your dash straights. The only people who can punish it are grapplers, and people who have 3F reversals (if it’s blocked deep)
[*]Use pokes accordingly; Rog’s jabs are 3Fs!
- Another thing I think you need to work on is offensive mix ups. When you get in on me you do a lot of the same things; blockstrings, tick grabs, normals. There are I think 2 things you do repeatedly;
Your blockstring: c.jab > c.jab > s.mk > walk backwards.
Either 1 or 2 jabs into a grab, usually 1 jab though.
So what I would suggest is maybe do more ticks before a grab (change up the pattern), do different blockstrings with frame traps (c.lp > s.mp, or even c.jab > c.jab > walkbackwards to see what I’m going to do, if it’s unsafe, punish it, but don’t do a blockstring then walk away from all it all.
Some broad tips would be:
- Stop walking backwards so much, you put yourself in the corner.
- Mixup your dash straights, TAPs (turn around punches), smashes, overheads (you tend to do TAPs fullscreen)
- Take time to read what your opponent is doing.
- Work on safe jumps
The only thing I think you had trouble with against Gen is his crossups.