Brand new to fighting games. Where do i start?

<span style=“color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Helvetica, Arial; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);”>Been having ssf4ae decided to get a stick cause I’ve decided After watching majors for 4ish years I’m going to make a serious attempt at leveling up.  <br><br>As a new player with very very little FG mechanical skill and execution how much time should I spend in  training opposed to spamming matches online? ;]  What is most productive? Also What is a really good I guess practice regimen? I have a lot of catching up to do so I wanna get a lot better rly fast. I’ve been grinding games taking breaks going into training to practice execution and watching vesper arcade tutorials while eating. Thx in advance for any advice also sorry If I made the post wrong. :3 </span>

You can use the dummy to practice combos, whiff punishing, anti-airs, punishing moves on reaction, and more. Any of these would be a good use of your time. Learning a hit-confirm combo off a cr.lp or cr.lk and also a different max damage punish combo is recommended.<div><br></div><div>Playing online is much inferior to playing offline if you can find people who are good enough to challenge you offline. Check the regional matchmaking for your city in the SRK matchmaking section.</div>

What SF4 character do you use? The SF4 subforums are generally helpful.

You already know VesperArcade which is great.<br>Here is a thread that has links that may help you on your quest for greatness.<br>If it’s not in there, I recommend reading this book:<br>www.sirlin.net/ptw/<br><br>Some may not like it, but it is definitely interesting reading.<br><br>

<p>IMO, Your time should be spent 40% playing matchs, 40% training room, 20% watching Youtube vids.</p><p>Do all 3 activities and you will level up faster, but less emphasis on watching youtube as you wont know whats happening and why </p><p>players are doing things in a match until you got experience. </p>

Something that may also benefit you is paying close attention to where your damage is coming from every match, and comparing it to better players.

Anti airing is one of the most important and overlooked aspects of fighting games. Most bad players don’t have the ability to start an offence from the ground so they take the easy way in through the air. Know your AA buttons and use them. Also refrain from jumping yourself. Think of it this way - if you can take 30% damage away from your opponent through way of anti airs and you don’t allow your opponent access to 30% damage by not jumping - that’s a fairly hefty swing before you’ve even begun to chip away with other aspects of the game. <div><br></div><div>Fighting games are all about controlling your character better than the guy your facing. So put thought into what you do. Don’t fall into the trap of just doing a bunch of stuff and a few combo’s. </div><div><br></div><div>Also blocking is underated. Never be afraid to just block. </div>

The only thing you can do to get better is PLAY. 

Most people spend too little time in training when they start.

Training mode is good for combos.option selects, etc, Learn your zoning, anti-air also , Depending on your main you will need to learn how to deal with corner issues.