Breaking The Habit (patterns)

Today I was fighting someone online who, at first was killing me, but I quickly realized he was doing the same thing over and over. With Hugo, he’d air splash into standing lk, lp palm balmer and then he’d standing mp. So I’d start parrying the mp. With Makoto he’d almost always d.lk hayate d.lk overhead hammer move.

But I realize, I have some of the same patterns. With Alex, after his bread and butter combo I almost always f.mp to get someone trying to attack afterwards. I C&DB with Q on my opponents wakeup wayyyy too much. How do you break these patterns? Try to keep your mixups in your mind?

It’s ok to have patterns, but you just need to mix em up. Should always try to have your opponent guessing what you’re going to do next. (Try setting up some 50/50 mixups) That’s what I believe is one of the main differences between CvS2 and 3s. Try and avoid “block strings” in 3s.

However using patterns in 3s can be useful for “training” your opponent. After training them they will think you will do another pattern, but instead you punish them with the bait.

One way to have your pattern broken quick is to play someone who figures it out very early. I’ve played people who came into matches playing very predictably, because it was what was working on their friends, and when they find out the same patterns aren’t working, they switch up fast. (Well at least some of them do.)

Otherwise you’ve just got to mentally note it when you play. If it’s working, it can be hard to want to mix it up, and really you don’t have to, mixing it up a bit more though when you’re already confusing opponent will give them that much more to think about. (Sometimes you can get into their head for the next match, if you’ve all but won the first one.)

At the arcade I play at, I found out that some people started parrying sort of “random” pokes, and punishing with super, which originally led me to think that they were just playing like, awesomely lol, but then I realized I was always doing the same thing (c.lk being parried after a blocked tsurugi), so now I learned to mix things up a lot more, between overheads, lows and dash-in/tick throws.

Sometimes using patterns are good for baiting certain reactions. For example, now sometimes after a blocked tsurugi, they down parry and stick out a c.mk, which I can punish with c.lk -> SA I, hayate or dash-in karakusa. Playing certain patterns makes your mix-up stronger, because not only does it keep them guessing, but it’s easier for you to guess how they will react when you put them in certain situations.

All you really need is a hi\lo pattern after knockdowns. It wouldnt matter if they knew what was coming because its 50\50. Just make sure you start your setup the same way but change it into 50\50. Its impossible to guess right everytime. Add a throw setup in there and theyll be mixed up. You can never go wrong with a hi\lo 50\50 setups and thorw strategy.

with ken after every knockdown I jab once, then Ill do my 50\50 thing. C.mk or c.short for low and uoh b+mk for highs. I’ll do it from the same range most of the time just to make them guess even more. If I feel like they might parry it, I dash in and dash back and try to make them wiff something and throw them. Hesitating also adds to the 50\50 game because now they have to guess when. Just make sure w\e you do is safe. You dont want to be punished off an offensive oppurtunity.

If you feel like your being repetitive, throw a uoh at link range. It helps if you character can link something off a uoh. Even if you cant, max range uoh setups footsie range for all characters. It will break your pattern pretty fast. Double uoh is a good trick too. It wont do alot of damage but it will open up your opponent for something.

I like to look at sf like rock paper scissors with graphics.

Yeah, there are a lot of patterns I have that need fixing. My worst one at the moment is c.MKing after a c.LP with Chun.

If you watch how I play, I never follow up a c.LK with another low move. It’s always c.LK -> s.HP or c.LK -> b+HP.

I need to start doing something about that. It’s probably my biggest problem, and I mentally punch myself in the nuts when I see myself failing to mix it up, because I get away with it way too much.

Same with always doing c.LP after a blocked jumpin in an attempt to get spacing for either kara/normal UOH, karathrow, or an SA2 hitconfirm.

Stop playing for a month or two and come back to it. Sometimes a break is the best thing you can do for your game. You tend to drop bad habits and just stick with what works.

A lot of my friends say they play better after not playing for a while. sooo…give it a shot, you junkie. :slight_smile:

I think you fall into patterns when you aren’t really sure how to deal with a situation. You might think that if you are doing a certain patterns its because that is what the situation calls for, but in reality, if you are doing the same thing over and over again, you probably aren’t reading the situation and are just falling back on what you’ve trained yourself to do.

With Yun, I used to love to divekick jab short strong then lunge or upkicks if it hit. Or I’d dive kick and strong, fierce, back fierce. I would do this, but I didn’t know why I did it. It was just a pattern to fall back on. When you’re playing, I think you should try to be reactionary to your opponents moves, and also be trying to get a certain reaction from your opponent when you do any attack. So patterns aren’t all bad, if there is a reason you are doing that pattern.

I think when you start out you just want to get in people’s faces, do your pattern, then get out. Your thinking and strategy is simply ‘maybe this time it will hit’. Its why you see new players constantly sweeping and jumping at eachother in the air over and over again. You don’t really know how a match should progress, what you are looking for, and why you are doing what you’re doing. As you play more, you won’t fall into patterns as much, because you’ll become more aware of your options.

This also has to do with learning to poke and zone. Offensively and defensively zoning your opponent is a lot better for success than just randomly trading strings of blocked attacks with eachother.

Bingo. It’s a failure to adapt.

That’s impossible for a lot of people. :rofl:

good point, i remember when i was like that.

dont listen to haunts, he doesnt even play third strike.

having unsafe habits is my worst habit…lol
train yourself to be solid…what i do is just try to react to everything the computer akuma does in training mode…i just sit there and try to parry/block everything he does…
then do other characters…it’s random if you do it on all the characters but computer akuma is good to learn against…comp ibuki is okay, as well as yun and chun(she does way random stuff)
just put it on hard and block away…it will improve your reaction time from the down back postition at least…haha

you can practice learning your ranges this way too.

Learning ranges works against the computer. But trying to parry the computer is bad, cause you’ll see the patterns sooner or later, and realise that you’ve gotten the bad habit of parrying computer players. This translates into fighting opponents because you’ll expect a certain response from a computer and already know you have to lo/hi parry, tech.
When you fight a human opponent that stuff doesn’t work anymore, you have to make sure that you don’t fall into the trap of expecting something the computer player would do and then getting mixed up.

do not dash up and throw on wake ups too many times , or you’ll get punish with c.forward .

do not crouch for to long and then poke with c.lk/lp on wake up , most top-players knew that >__> they will low parry that attack .

so many to remember .

the way you break patterns is by knowing they exist in your game, cause if you dont know about them you cant break them.

then you practice NOT using them, which can be frustrating at first.

Also don’t abandon them altogther, patterns aren’t inherently bad. A lot of the mindgames is getting people to think certain stuff is coming when it isn’t, so sometimes doing the same thing twice works, as many times players will overthink and not expect the same thing twice.

Just don’t let your whole playstyle become a pattern.

Gotta agree with you on this.