Brushstr0kes 101: The Amaterasu Thread Mach II

Oh you mean as an untechable grab? That’s a very creative way of setting that up. Keep us posted. I’d practice it myself but I can’t get to my 360 for a while.

Yeah, just like the video that was posted up on srk it’s untechable and unblockable. Updated my post btw with more info and other tricks.

So I was wondering, how do y’all use the cold star assist? I mean I noticed after a few casuals at my local gather that I barely actually use the assist on my team(dante/storm/ammy) and the few times I do she gets blown up. I mean when I watch someone using like tatsu, they go cr . :l: :l:, tatsu and then proceed to mix em up from there, or(when playing storm) super jump float assist call and work from there, or with dante st. :h: teleport tatsu. Other than the dante set-up I can’t really think of any that would work as effectively with cold star.

So how would y’all use ammy on a team like that to 1. Use the assist to help my offense and 2. properly protect the assist from getting blown up. Also do y’all know any like traps or set-ups that might be available to my team using the assist? I hate to seem like Im letting other people do my work for me, but I honeslty cannot think of anything.

Because ammy’s assist has such crappy startup you need to already be attacking your opponent when calling her. You can’t just call her out of the blue. Since you have Dante you a simple mixup would be to call ammy while you do a AB or ABC block string and telleport right before she starts shooting.

I know dante/amaterasu pretty well and it’s a pretty good combo. Amaterasu sets up many of dante’s projectiles for many different kinds of teleport mix-ups.

1.:l:+ammy:m:xx teleport

2.:l:+ammy:m:xx charge shot>teleport, Can omit the teleport if the assist hits and just go into a combo. I just do fwd:h:(BC)volcano>etc.

3.:l:+ammy:m:xx charge shot>cr.:m:xx teleport j.:m:,the charge shot will hit right after the cr.m so it will combo after the teleport if it hits. Don’t do :l: for the following combo as it will kill the combo from hit stun deterioration, just do :m:. You can do j.:h: instead of :m: on larger characters and if you already confirmed off of the cr.m

4.anti air st.:m:+ammy :s:, just hold up, combo on hit, safe on block and pressure afterwards

5.anti air st.:m:+ammy xx acid rain, if it hits it will catch forward techs, back techs in the corner. on block you get a mix-up.

6.anti air st.:m:+ammy xx teleport, there are a couple intricacies concerning teching if the st.m hits as if you don’t cover it correctly you could leave your assist wide open. Iirc j.:m: after the teleport will hit any tech. Converting this is a little tricky. In fact I don’t even remember how. Something to do with double jump, killer bee, or air play.

There is more that you can do. But these are pretty good bases to start from. Hopefully this will give you more ideas.

In the interest of having the UMvC3 character threads be as awesome as possible, I am posting here to offer up my current Ultimate Dormammu Thread as a base skeleton to anyone who intends to manage a character thread, or something similar, in Ultimate. It is currently stripped of information, and will remain so until about a week before release. I am not attempting to toot my own horn, but rather offer to others what took me quite a bit of work to do, so that those who would rather not spend the time on such things do not have to.

I have received a lot of compliments to-date about the structure, and a few people have requested permission to use its structure for UMvC3, so I thought I would go around and make the offer to others who might not be aware that someone out there has already done the grunt work for them (haha). Because I am posting this in all the character forums, and this is time consuming on its own, I have not taken the time to check for how developed the thread I am posting on current is. Thus, I ask that no one be offended at my suggestion if your character forum is well constituted already - I mean no intrusion upon your methodologies!

Here is a link to the thread blueprint:

You can get an example of what it looks like when filled out here:

You are of course entirely welcome to change whatever you like if you want to incorporate this structure into your own thread. I have all of my posts saved as Word documents on my computer. If you would like these documents instead of having to copy/paste from the main threads, please feel free to PM me your email address, along with the character thread they will be used for, and I will gladly send them.

Highest Regards to All,
Karst

Thanks guys for the feedback, ill test out all that shit next time I get my hands on the game.

@Karsticles: Thanks for the blueprint, it should come in useful when ultimate drops.

Btw did anyone watch the curley mustache stream? Im not done yet, but masta cj busted out his ammy team in top 8, he has been working on that team it seems cause he has some sexy ass ammy combos using both his assists. Also marlinpie said on stream that ammy’s assist got nerfed in ultimate, is this true? I haven’t heard anything to back this up so maybe he was mistaken.

MarlinPie’s problem is that apparently hit-stun deterioration affects assists now as well. I can’t remember if this is true or it just has something to do with the entire HSD rehaul for combos.

If you’re using it to lock down people (like most of us do and MarlinPie does half the time), you’re fine. If you’re using it in a combo like he does, there may be some issues. In any case, he might be rehauling his team if new Magnus isn’t to his liking.

Ah ok thats cool, doesn’t bother me too much, I don’t even like using the assist in combos anyway since it scales like a mother. On a side note, do y’all think ammy is still gonna be a beastly anchor? I haven’t studied my game enough to know if I air dash enough for this nerf to substantially affect me, but what do you ladies and gentlemen think?

I don’t know for sure but all I heard was this:

• She gets stronger and faster
  • She can slow you down
  • Air X-Factor

Until I find a reason to put her in front for a team or she has an unreasonably low XF duration, Ammy is now my anchor for any team involving Cold Star lockdown. Her attacks are already so quick, I wouldn’t be surprised if any speed-boost causes XF infinites.

Honestly I forgot about the x-factor buff, now that you mention it on paper at the very least she seems like a much better anchor than she was in vanilla(and she was a really good one in vanilla). Can’t wait for the game to drop. Ill probably run her on point for a bit just because 1. I really enjoy playing her and 2. To get a better grip of all her tools(I still think she is very under explored) so I play her as a better anchor.

Point ammy is so good to me though~ I just love having even more options.

Always true. Considering her new changes, I will definitely explore her point game with the new characters.

Unfortunately, I may be stuck in Okami where she destroys everyone alone in a blaze of glory. I just want to go nuts and press sooooo many buttons during XF3 in a Veil of Mist.

And there is no doubt she is underexplored. Veil of Mist isn’t exactly straightforward and it’s only recently where a few people began to use her THC for Okami Shuffle lockdowns against Dark Phoenix. Add air weapon changes to the mix and there’s science to be done in UMvC3.

Yea while we are on the subject of under explored, anyone tested out 1. Hit confirming into veil of mist and 2. Veil of mist resets, I’ve seen chris g go for some basic ones with veil of mist after a hard knockdown and going for some kind of mix-up but Im sure there is more to explore there.

Official UMvC3 Ammy changes

Amaterasu

• Decreased hit stun time on all normal attacks (L,M,H).
  • Decreased hit box size of M, cr.M.
  • Increased active frames of cr.M.
  • Stance change is possible in mid-air.
  • Increased active frames of charged Thunder Edge.
  • Sword portion of Glaive Chop causes knockdown.
  • Decreased untechable time of Assist β (Cold Star).
  • Additional hits can be added to Divine Instruments through rapid button presses.

I don’t know what to say overall about these changes. =/

This… Might not be relevant for my playstyle.

From what I’ve heard from people who tested her, we can still mash H.

SHE’S FINE GUYS.

I’m soooooo going to grind my face into my stick when I land a Divine Instruments. If what CrispyTacos said about Felicia’s mashed PHM hyper dealing 500k-550k is true, this is just fan-freaking-tastic for our favorite canine. I just looked in the guide and realized that Divine Instruments has 10 frame startup. HOW DELICIOUSLY FAST.

The only thing I’m confused about is “Sword portion of Glaive Chop causes knockdown.” since it already caused spinning knockdown. As long as decreased hitstun doesn’t affect her basic BnB vanilla combos, I’m good. Gotta have a starting point somewhere.

Also, I had to read Stark’s comment a couple times slowly for me to realize it was saying “I’m still playing Ammy.”

I don’t think I could have it in my heart to drop her. She’s so good to me! Her and Spencer, really. I’m still not totally sure who I want as my third, maybe it’s Task, maybe it’s a new person, but those two are staying as long as they are characters that can be played.

Those first two nerfs are really something. I hope they don’t destroy her ground game.

Those first couple of nerfs really scare me. I mean, perfectly fine if her BnBs still work, but if they’ll stop the last few Glaive Hs from connecting before we can slip in a shuffle… :sad: Something like a charged Thunder Edge that connects that bit easier won’t be worth much if we can’t get anything other than one H in afterwards.

I just don’t get why, though. I mean, of all the things that someone would say was unbalanced about Ammy, “combos that never end and easily give 800k from one meter and no assists” isn’t exactly something Ammy has. While I could possibly understand if they had nerfed hitstun on her Reflector’s f.HHHHHHHHHHHHH seeing as everyone who didn’t play her loathed it, why would they feel the need to threaten the comboability of a character that already struggles to wrack up an extended combo (and further damage) by herself, especially if they’re stripping her of her main way of getting in safely?