Building an arcade machine

Hey im not new to SRK and im not well known either, im working on building my first arcade cabinet. I plan to make it a sit down japanese style. I plan to have the American button layout with the ball top arcade stick. Micro switches, a LCD pc monitor. my plan is to run it on an older pc i have and set the start up to just start FBA along with XmvSf or 3s… i was even thinking capoeira fighter 3 lol ( the first) arcade cabinet holding that game.

i was also thinking should i make it 2df ready. to that way i can play online. on the cab. or if i make another machine i can link it that way. but my friend had an idea for head to head of making the 2 cabinets and having them connect to 1 pc.

anyone have an tips towards my project ?

Screw 2df, I’d make it GGPO ready!!! Anwyay, were you going to make a whole cab or just the base and put a tv on top? There is a thread on making japanese style arcade cabinets. Just look some posts down.

-Tha Hindu

im thinking of putting a monitor on top or i may design it in a way to mount it in the cabinet. just dont know entirely.ill look for these threads and head to bed. but why ggpo instead of 2df because of the challenging system ? which ever is popular for xmvsf or 3s. on which game ill be running.

If you’re just going to be running emulated stuff, it’ll be cheaper to get an old TV and an Xbox, mod it and stuff it to the brim with roms. :smokin:

That’s what I did with mine and it works perfectly. You don’t have to muck around with PC related hassles plus the Xbox will fit in a smaller space.

Win, Win

Take a look at this thread. Lots of good info

hmm… pardon me but what’s 2df n ggpo? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m actually bout 70% though making my japanese styled arcade. Just a simple 1 with a PC, speakers n monitor.

Dunno if this helps but this pic is my build-up.

Good luck in getting urs up~ :slight_smile:

I built a standup arcade cab, which I play 2DF on every day. Best toy I ever bought.
2DF and GGPO are p2p matchmaking servers for playing arcade emulated games over the net with undetectable lag.

http://2dfighter.com
http://ggpo.net

Can you post some pics of your setup?

Thanks actually pretty sweet.

Link to Ultra X Arcade

im thinking of putting a monitor on top or i may design it in a way to mount it in the cabinet. just dont know entirely.ill look for these threads and head to bed. but why ggpo instead of 2df because of the challenging system ? which ever is popular for xmvsf or 3s. on which game ill be running.

as for the xbox arcade cabinet sounds like a cool idea, but when i make the cabinet i want it to be like an acutal arcade machine. instead of a emulated arcade console. Im thinking to modify the start up to just run the game and make only admin able to change the roms. so when you start up the pc it starts up the rom and emu.

i drew up a quick crappy Sketch with bitmap on what my cabinet will look like.

Sry for the hideous picture i cant draw with a mouse.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7169/prototypecabinettx9.png

I wanted to stay with my XTRM style with the " X " side panel designs and have and american style with the Distant monitor design. i plan to have a 85 Degree angle for a good view, with a 22 " monitor that i plan to place in the cabinet. the circles Represents speakers and ventilation ports that i will project at the player.

I want to make the whole system a single unit on the power up.

question: i cant put coin ops in there can i ?

I don’t think GGPO supports xmvsf, and 3S is more popular on 2DF. There’s no reason you can’t install both though.

@ XTRM

That design you made looks pretty bad ass actually. If its going to be a stand up then then why not make the panel straight? Also, the monitor I would think should be aiming straight as well.

But other than that, very cool design. I like where you put the speakers. Put some 8 or 10 inchers in it and make those babies scream.

Thanks, But i plan on making it a Sit Down, i like them better than Stand ups from what i planned the panel is a height og 21 inches and then screen will start at 28, that why i put the screen slanted towards the player. the speakers i want to get som e8 inch bad boys on them maybe 10, i want to put some fans in there to cool the cabinet and also have air blow in the players direction. but im not sure if it will annoy the player or help.

Anyone care to share ?

Yes! Sit downs are the best!!!

Man, I really wanna see that happen for real! Looking forward to it.

here is my arcade machine . its a stand up unless you sit on the barstools then it majically converts to a sitdown.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cwrenlmi/ArcadeMachine/photo#5240402682595168914

here is the whole thing being built tons of pics. hope this is of some help to you

http://picasaweb.google.com/cwrenlmi/ArcadeMachine

Very nice cab bro.

thanks, it’s been a long work in progress. I originally built it for 3S and had a 22" standard monitor and a tankstick for controlls. I just got it sf4 ready by adding a PS3, a new 1080P 24" widescreen flushed in, and the custom controll pannell with custom art done by BigMex a fellow srk member. The sticks are ls-56’s with octo gates & the blue and red shaft covers, & sanwa screw ins.

i need something to connect the kick harness wires to the kickbuttons, whats the name of the thing i need to do this (i forgot:xeye:).

quick disconnects? or soldering them to the switches.