Button configuration... profiles?

Excuse me for talking pure theory here- if someone sees fit that this topic is useless, so be it. Delete without mercy.

At EVO, there have been a few comments about the button checking before every match… setting things right… I can’t remember the exact number of matches overall (an absurd number, I believe) but for sixty seconds per button check for every single match, things add up, I’m sure. Someone could be playing at least a couple of matches during all this compiled time.

So it got me to thinking- and I’m sure it’s probably an old idea that nobody wants to hear, but- what if, somehow, you could store your button configuration in your controller? You plug your stuff in, and it automatically changes for you, and everything’s set to go?

Could this be a real possibility in the future? I know that it has a fairly limited use (really, it’s not useful for the standard “at home online player” nowadays), but… it would really clean up pre-game setup time, right? And considering the huge turnout for events like this…

Is Capcom/Namco/Sony/Microsoft/etc. even listening to thoughts like this?

I am not quite sure that implementing this sort of thing would lead to a reduction in setup time (as people would still want to physically check their button status, and then just take longer to do it, I assume) but it sounds like a convenience that just isn’t there when it seems it could be done.

I could be wrong, but being able to have something like that installed into a joystick could lead to people trying to install a turbo button along with it without anybody knowing. Turbo button = illegal in tournament play.

It’s really not that big of a deal because besides checking the button configuration, the players are making sure their joystick and buttons are working properly before the match starts. So in the instance one of their buttons goes out, they know ahead of time and can swap out joysticks or borrow one from a friend.

Honestly, I’m not sure how exactly this would be physically possible. There would have to be some huge standardization in… something. I just don’t really know what kind of device would be basically invented to do that.

It’s just easier to make better and more efficient button configuration menus in games from now on, more like HD Remix style (but there are flaws in even that).

@Symbolic Turbo button = being called worse than a noob scrub.

But I think with button configs getting stored in the stick, like Symbolic said, it basically can lead to undetected hacks in the system like a certain company that makes controllers.

That and if someone borrows your stick and the buttons are completely out of whack, it’ll throw them and yourself off if you just skip the button check.

Would you rather spend 30 seconds checking the button configs, or lose one whole round because your buttons were set by someone else

I think it’d be much easier if they were to set up 2 monitors and 2 ps3’s for the big screen/streamed portion. While the current match is going on the next 2 players set up their controllers, then they swap to the other ps3. I’m not sure about the tech but it should be possible with some kind of switch. It would literally save 3+ hours a day.

The only problem you have is that some sticks have a different button layout on them and you need to check to see if the previous button setup will work with your stick or if you need to change them. Best example of this is the Tekken 5 Hori stick vs a HRAP 3. The button layout is L1, Square, Triangle, R1 for the top row of buttons on the Tekken 5 stick. The button layout on a HRAP 3 is Square, Triangle, R1, L1 on the top row. Does that make sense?

This would work with a video mixer. You wouldn’t need to do anything but hit a button or rotate a dial on the mixer to change the input from either monitor.

Just route monitor one to channel one on the video mixer, and monitor two to channel two on the video mixer, and then hard swap out each monitor before each match. This is similar to how Sega has their set up for national Virtua Fighter tournaments.

Guity Gear was had the best answer for this problem for years, same mapping style as remix

Most of the controllers (TEs and SEs for SFIV at least) are just controller A or some other game standard with 2 buttons set to no function. Many of the button checks are because people don’t want to take chances or because they have customs.

For the store bought stuff, i’m sure you could standardize it, but for customs you’ll never be able to.