Buying a tv for gaming while at grandma's

The size is good, price is right ($219.00), and the specs look good (better than the 13-inch crt that’s there now). I’m not looking to spend much more than this. What do the pro’s think?

Newegg.com - Sceptre 24" 1080p Chrome LCD HDTV X240CC-FHD (click “check the specs” tab near center of page)

Or this…

http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX2450WM-LED-23-6-Inch-Widescreen-Speakers/dp/B003Y3BJ7S/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291483412&sr=1-11

Crappy brand, bad reviews…

This seems better, and has HDMI + speakers too. Cheaper price, better quality, name brand, it’s an asus it’s good…
Newegg.com - Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

Damn, that DOES seem better. Thank you!

that’s a great price. I may have to snag a spare monitor. :slight_smile:

Holy shit, a 10,000,000:1 contrast ratio? O_O

I love my Asus VH222H-P, but my only issue is that the contrast on it is too low and the darks just don’t look even at all. That looks like a REALLY nice monitor. I’ll keep that one in mind if I ever need to replace my current monitor.

Contrast ratio these days means nothing if you’re really into TV specs. They’re all exagerated and usually not even true. Best to just get a reputable set and do your homework on the internet before you rush out and buy something.

My TV is is 15,000:1 contrast ratio, and my PC screen is 100,000:1, both look spot on when I test pure white/black comparisons.

You’re absolutely correct. My faulty reasoning was based on the fact that Demon’s Souls looks uneven (meaning uneven lighting with visible gradients in dark areas) on my Asus monitor (with a 20,000:1 contrast ratio) but looks perfect on my Aquos (which has a 10,000:1 cr). For some reason I thought the Asus had a 6,000:1 cr. Yep. I’m just a dumbass with respect to TV quality. My bad.

Oh, lol I didnt mean to direct anything towards you or make you feel bad. I just meant something like “You can only go so high these days until you’re just BS’ing your product’s numbers to look better”