Buying an ST cab

This guy is letting go his ST cab for 375 which I’m seriously thinking about picking up, just wondering what questions should I ask him about the hardware or what not because i’ve never owned a cab before but its always been a bit of a dream of mine. Just wanted to know if this is a fair deal, and what questions should be asked when buying a cab, thank you all in advance.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/kingoffighters/IMG_8951.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/kingoffighters/IMG_8952.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/kingoffighters/IMG_8953.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/kingoffighters/IMG_8955.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/kingoffighters/IMG_8956.jpg

Seems like a good deal man.

The Super Turbo B board alone is worth about $150. I would asked him if the board is Phoenixed or if it still has the orginal battery. You can read about CPS2 boards here.

If it has the orginal battery its pretty easy to do if you have some soldering skills.

Hit me up on pm, if you have more questions.

As for the american woody i dont know much about them, or the monitors. I personally have a candy cab and like the size better because its smaller and has japanese arcade controls, but I payed more than double than that.

I say snag it up. Its one of the coolest things I ever bought you will not regret it. Hit me up on pm if you got more questions.

The price is pretty good. The board is at least 150, more if it’s the US version. The cab by itself in good condition is about 200 with a monitor. It is a possibility the board is a bootleg too. You may want to do a little reading about the different versions of ST and what to look for in a bootleg. You can read on cp2 shock, arcadecontrols, and arcadeotaku about that.

The image on that monitor looks pretty faded and discolored from the pictures included. You might want to ask the seller if he would be interested in replacing the monitor with a slightly less used one. Offer him $50 to do the swap and you might end up with a much nicer picture.

Or if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty you can study up on the monitor and replace the capacitors in it. This will result in a much brighter and more colorful image.

It’s a given that you will replace the controls. I would order new comp sticks plus buttons and switches now, or if you are purchasing from an op see if he will sell them to you along with the cab. Make sure you get the IL comps with the white actuator.

Honestly that cab looks kind of beat up, and like megaultrasuper said, the monitor looks pretty shot…unless that’s just how it came out on your camera. If the monitor really does look crisp and sharp in person, with no burn-in, then I would say do it. Your probably going to look at putting another $150 or more into fixing it up if it needs a new monitor and controls…but hey, at least its in working order at the moment and you can worry about that later. Personally I too would rather have a Japanese cab and just see if the guy would sell me just the board. Ask if you can look at the board, it should be a big blue cased cart on top of a black mainboard. When you boot it up the first thing the screen will say is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and then a number indicating the date of the revision of that board. 940323 is the number of the US version, however there are other versions too. Finally, ask when the last time the battery was replaced.

Take it easy.

^ Yah, left-hand side seems to have a dark area. I don’t think there’s really any fixing monitors unless you’re some kind of wizard. That would be a leave-if-you-don’t-mind-and-replace-if-you-do type deal.

Hmmm. Ask him if OH MY GOD ST!!!

its very difficult to tell from a picture if a monitor is working well or not. ive sold cabs before that had great monitors but i couldnt get a picture that didnt make the monitor look like shit. its also hard to find one without burn in, but i personally dont mind it so much. you usually cant see it when the game is playing. only when the screen is a solid color…like a flash of white, or black even.

from what i can tell, the blue setting is too high. its an easy adjustment. when you get the game there is a way to check the different color settings, and you want them all to be lined up. the setting is done on the monitor…not in the game. but the game gives you a chart to use for making the adjustments. adjusting the monitor is CRUCIAL. it makes all the difference in the world. it can be very challenging/intimidating at first as there are alot of different knobs to tweak. once you figure out what does what, and use the color chart…its alot easier. the sharpness knob is very important and very sensitive as well. if its off even a slight bit, you will assume the monitor is F’ed up.

i think its a good deal. just be prepared for the computer AI to be brutal…even on the easiest setting. the japanese “grand master challenge” version has a much more realistic AI if you are looking for the single player experience. then again you may want the challenge, but it pretty much just reacts damn near perfectly to whatever you do.

Ya I’m just looking to have it to invite friends/people over and get same games in my SF game of choice. I’m 25 and single, but I picture myself in my mid 30’s when im married the wife is bitchin, that i go to the mans domain, and there’s a fridge full a beer, an alpha 3 cab, an ST cab, 3rd strike cab, where I basicaly let off some steam. ST although is the main game i’d like to get, it was the last street fighter 2 incarnation, before it had massive massive changes. I’m mechanicaly inclined, but have never switched out sticks, buttons, or anything of the sort, but alsong as I have decent directions i’m capable of doing it myself. Thanks guys for all the information, I really do appreciate it, been a dream to own an ST cab, that and a 97 TT supra which i’ll get later on, as for now i own an 87 1jzgte supra. thanks all and god bless sorry for my grammar

^I agree with mike american st blue board 1p is retarded hard! get the Japanese version youll have more fun cause your friends will not always be around and youll be stressing more than having fun:)

I’d buy it. Don’t worry too much about hardware; if you end up buying it you’ll learn all that stuff (because youll be forced to).

I’m gonna build a cab one day, but I’m just gonna have a DC in it.

OT, but I’m a former MK3 owner (88 turbo), not 1j, but a slightly built 7m woot! If you swapped a motor, you can do anything this cabinet needs on your own. I have a hyperfighting cab of my own.

As for the cabinet, I’d buy it!

If you REALLY want the American experience than my type of cab is what you will need…

All in full glorious q-sound!

also comes with a broken back! =]

They are surprisingly easier to move than you think!

A dolly (hand truck) is a must. Up and down stairs is a different story, however…:wink:

BTW this is what the pcb will look like…

I have a heavy duty dolly so lugging it around wont be a problem at all, im a pretty strong dude, so the only thing is lifting onto a truck and getting it off the truck lol that might be a bit of a hassle. if it’s only weighs 3 bills im sure me and my friend can lift it ourselves.

Update: the guy said everything was in perfect working order except the picture has a line through it, and that it’s slightly faded. How much would you guys pay for this cab knowing this information? also how easy would it be to buy a brand new monitor for it and replacing it will keep in mind an novice would be doing this. thanks in advanced

I have a heavy duty dolly so lugging it around wont be a problem at all, im a pretty strong dude, so the only thing is lifting onto a truck and getting it off the truck lol that might be a bit of a hassle. if it’s only weighs 3 bills im sure me and my friend can lift it ourselves.

Update: the guy said everything was in perfect working order except the picture has a line through it, and that it’s slightly faded. How much would you guys pay for this cab knowing this information? also how easy would it be to buy a brand new monitor for it and replacing, also how much does a new one run? keep in mind a novice would be doing this. thanks in advanced

Still worht what you’d be paying for it, see if you can’t fineaggle him a little lower though since you’ll have to buy a new monitor, and potentially new IL controls (thankfully those are cheap)

I’d keep looking, personally. I bought a 2-slot Neo Geo gold cab for quite a bit less than that, and it was in decidedly better shape. Ultimately, I wasn’t satisfied because it wasn’t Big Red. I ended up selling it.

Keep waiting and keep looking for something you’ll be really happy with- as is.

It depends on a few things…

One, is the money fairly dispensable?? or is it a huge chunk of change and will take you a while to replace the money?

In what kind of condition is the cab? Besides the monitor issue, will all the problems or blemishes it has be fairly easy to fix?

Keep in mind that the Super Turbo board is fairly expensive (I’ve seen it go from $150 to more than $200 on forums [not even counting ebay]) So half of the price you are paying is gonna be in that board. Also MAKE DAMN SURE you get the battery replaced somehow, because you never know when it will suicide on you. Once that happens, your only recourse is to send the roms to a person in finland for them to be reprogrammed.

Also a monitor replacement can be up to a couple hundred, which is fairly pricey. Do yourself a favor and stay away from any “arcade” technicians and go to a regular TV repairman if you need it fixed.

Also keep in mind that you can sell the cab for a bit when and if you decide to, and use the money to help upgrade to a better unit.

Keep all these points in mind when deciding what you want to do.

is it that weird discoloration i see on the left side of the pics? i still say just get it…$350 - $450 is the usual price for a cab like that with champion edition or hyper fighting. its rare to see ones with super turbo. After you adjust the monitor, i bet it will be very playable. its really hard to find these in perfect condition. i looked around for quite a while and everyone i found had one thing or another iffy about it. from the looks of that cab…it seems ready to go without much, if any work needed. i had to buy a super turbo board on ebay(eventually got “grand master challenege” too), found a decent cab with marvel vs street fighter in it…sell that game on ebay, put in super turbo and hunt down a marquee and a new control panel as the one i got was botched and covered up with plexi. i would have loved to get it all in one shot.

also…if you do get it, i recommend this ebay listing for the controls.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380151114415#ht_3395wt_1167

A tv repair man can fix or repair a monitor? hmm never even thought about that but it makes sense though. I’m not exactly understanding the battery question…is it in the actual St blue cartridge? If the battery dies it fries the game so i’d have to replace the cartridge? Also where would I find grand master x challenge? havent seen any copies of it on ebay