Buying Games at Launch - Yay or Nay?

Either its too early or i need glasses but i was convinced the thread title said lunch. I qas thinking fuck yea i buy my games at lunch time because i aint got time for shopping after work. That time is game time! Then i realized it was about buying games at launch and i stopped caring.

I’m a cheap ass gamer, I only buy games during steam Christmas sale, steam summer sale, and humble bundles…I probably have about 300 games and haven’t played most of them lol and apparently a lot of PC gamers are as cheap as me:

Haven’t bought a game day 1 since Diablo 3 launch, but I’ll break that when I get Azure Striker: Gunvolt on the 29th.

Cool story, bro.

YEah I looked at my Serious Sam Steam collection, L4D collection, etc. I’ve got maybe 30 Steam games and only played like 4 of them. I still haven’t cracked Portal 2 and I’ve had that for 2+ years (I still want Portal 1&2 on the 3DS, such a missed oppurtunity)

• :bluu:

I day 1’d DeS (Best decision)/DaS (Collector’s, not as good as DeS’ Limited, but still good)/DaS2 (Collector’s as well, paled in comparison to the others. Would’ve stayed with the Black Armor edition had I 100% knew that I’d still get the nice case). Also day 1’d Vanquish and Dragon’s Crown, which was inevitable like everyone knowing Patrick Stewart was Professor X during the Star Trek days. I waited on Dragon’s Dogma and got it cheap, got the Sith Edition of TFU cheap as well during a sale, and copped Binary Domain for $16 during a newegg sale. I kind of regret paying full price for Lords of Shadow, but I’m not making the same mistake with the sequel. With any luck, both LoS 2 and the complete (as it’ll ever get, anyway) version of Diablo 3 will be cheaper during the black Friday sales. That DaS 2 Collector’s Edition has me salty to this day, especially after seeing the vid for Japan’s Collector’s Edition. The figurine feels so cheap, smh.

You really aren’t. If anything, the reverse is true.
If a game is only remarkable because it is new, then it won’t be that good in six months anyway. If you only play for online, and the online is dead in 6 months…well…it would be dead anyway. A game like COD will (or at least used to, I don’t know if the popularity is waning yet) always have new players, and have people “prestiging” so they no longer have the best set ups. Sure they might be better than you, but if losing is a reason to not play a game, don’t play multiplayer.

I bought thief a couple of months after release at half price but then felt ripped off because it was like 15 bucks a month later. And then 5 bucks a couple more months later.
The truth is most games are not going to hold your attention for 6 months straight. Games that do offer those massive play hours and practically unlimited replay value are the rare ones…and often aren’t the biggest, hypest ones. Simcity? Rage? Watch Dogs? SFxT? Aliens? StarWars: TOR?
Even with a game like SF or Diablo, you basically end up paying for it multiple times, with expansions or re-releases.
Maybe it is different if you game on console exclusively, but knowing that 95% of the games I want will be cheap on steam some time in the foreseeable future really puts it into perspective, I have to really want the game to buy it new, and I am usually prepared to deal with the bullshit. Like if Fallout 4 was announced I would pre order that knowing it is going to be a buggy mess.
I just got shipping notification for Bullet Girls. I ordered that because that game is probably never coming to the west and niche titles tend to get more expensive as they get older.

Now that’s a third person shooter.

Depends on the game, want to hit the ground running with FGs and snap up decent limited editions day 1 but anything else is usually just “meh when I get round to it” unless its a series I absolutely adore.

Fighters: day one
Every other game can stand a wait if you can’t afford it.

I only buy on day one when it’s a game I know I will spend a lot of time on. For me this is will mostly be fighters, RPGs and Resident Evil. Everything else I wait on.

In fighters and other really heavy multiplayer games: General day 1 unless the game has massive problems. I hate getting into a game that is basically multiplayer only and having the community on the verge of death.

Single player games and everything else: Wait until it gets a GOTY and goes on sale.

I got really tired of getting games day 1 and then getting hit with truckloads of DLC. I just wait to get it all on disc now. Plus always for a better price.

It depends of the game or who are the people behind it.
Games like fighters, Need For Speed, Grand Theft Auto are instant buy, others i can wait and see.

only games i will buy day one are suda 51, hideki kamiya, shinji mikami, and 3ds games.

I only buy 2-3 games at most if anything at all so I don’t mind paying $60 for a game. A combination of business practices, having other stuff take up my time and having my tastes dialed in help.

Good things come to those who wait.

Many big names it best to wait because the following always happens.

1. Game launch
  2. Bug fixes
  3. DLC
  4. DLC
  5. DLC
  6. GOAT EDITION 10/10 ALL DLC INCLUDED ONLY $60 RE-RELEASE

See: elder scrolls, borderlands, fallout, GTA, red dead, any game in the past 5 years

I don’t play a very wide range of games, so 90% of the time it’s a day 1 purchase for me. This holiday season the only two games I’m going to buy are Xrd and the new CoD, and I’m sure I’ll get them right when they are available.

I’ll only pre-order games for the SE/LE if I trust the developer or publisher. Otherwise I’ll wait a day or 2 unless I really liked the demo or gameplay trailers, and even then it depends on the company and their track record.

I like to ask if there anything exclusive worth getting from the pre-order bonus?
If not, its worth it to wait, especially when it comes to PC games on Steam.

Most of my console game purchases of late has been for game systems long since been discontinued.

Yea as said, it just depends on the game for me. I wait on a lot of stuff (Still don;t own GTAV for example) but will day 1 Bayonetta 2 or Bloodborne.

Depends on the game and/or developer. But to agree with an earlier post kinda no point in waiting on a high profile Nintendo first party game to drop price lol

Are you actually going to play the crap out of it right when it comes out? Yes, buy it right away.

If your answer is “when I get around to it”, you can – at the very least – afford to wait until 2 weeks after it comes out and drops to $40. More than likely you won’t care if you wait 6 months when it’s on sale for 20-25.