Buying Gold and Silver?

By the way things are going in the world, it’s only a matter of time before the dollar goes belly up which is why I’ve been looking into investing in gold and/or silver.

I talked to my financial adviser about it and he says it’s just another “bubble”, but he quickly lost credibility when he said he had faith that the banks and corporations would use the stimulus money to turn the country around (I actually laughed at him).

Obviously this guy is only interested in me continuing to pump money into my IRA. I’m just now starting to do the research and thought I’d make a post in SRK about it. I remember there are some people on here who seem to know what they are talking about concerning things like this.

Anyway, where do I buy it?
What do I do with it?
Do I pull a Scrooge McDuck and store all my loot in a Money Bin?

I would be pretty pissed if I woke up one day and my savings aren’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

Thanks for any real advice as well as the random smart ass comments SRK is renowned for.

Just thought I would drop this off, and then be on my merry way.

http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2010/12/cash4gold-haberny-e1291645535784.jpeg

LOL I don’t know what’s funnier, the content of the letter or the fact that the guy actually framed it!

gold and silver are arbitrary measures of value too. what are they good for? shiny metal, people. shiny. metal.

seems like it’d be a bad time to buy either, since they’re at like record highs

…so? money is just green paper, people. green. paper.

whoosh

he’s right. gold has no real economic value

:rofl: :rofl:

I bet an SRK OG sent those rocks and wrote those letters.

Godlike.

:clapdos:

im pointing out how its pretty pointless to point out that gold has no utility, i doubt people think that gold creates food and water.

prick.

Gold is an asset that usually for the most part has a good value. In all honesty unless you can get your hands on a gigantic amount of gold don’t be looking to drastically change your grand kids future in the grand scheme of things.

Oh and I agree with your financial adviser. If it is a bubble then go for it just get out before the bubble burst. Most people hold on for too long and that shit goes boom. (Tulips, real-estate, dot.com etc…) Obviously easier said then done when you consider a thing we humans call greed.

P.S Money and cash are two different things. Money is that number in your bank account, cash is that green thing you hold in your hand. Government don’t print money they print cash. Federal Reserve can create money by issuing bonds which involves absolutely 0 cash.

this thread is funny, like a group of business men standing at the edge of a cliff

Please elaborate.

man 1: Hi there!

man 2: (shakes hand) er, Hi! what are you doing here?

man 1: (still shaking hand) I was about to ask you the same thing

(both laugh)

man 3 and 4: Hey there!

Man 2: Hey! what are you guy’s here for?

man 3: oh I don’t know, I just now met this guy

man 4: im just browsing

man 1: at the edge of a cliff?

man 3: what are you doing here?

man 5: THE ALIENS ARE COMING!!!?!

My dad told me that gold and silver fluctuates in worth and would recommend finding another investment.

prick got outprick’d

plenty of people look upon gold as some special currency with obvious intrinsic value, while at the same time decrying the fiat monetary system in the US. as if gold were somehow less arbitrary or more useful in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

if you didn’t know this before, you do now.

>=/ Nah son them nanomofuckas are gonna make gold out of potatoes n shit, then what =( It’s ova.

they can make gold from lead, but it costs far more than any gold you get from it and takes forever

As I do the research, it seems that gold fluctuates too wildly (as stated in this thread) to make a good long term investment. Still, I wish I had invested in it when it was only 300 bucks an ounce, I would be building my dream cabin in the woods right now.

Seems like it is an fairly complex process and as my friend told me: if you have to ask how to do it, I probably won’t do too well.

I’m still a little sad that I didn’t buy HeartGold and SoulSilver this year. I mean, yeah, they’re remakes, but it really seemed like they added a lot of good new material, and the PokeWalker seemed like a cool idea, but as soon as Black and White were announced…

Oh shit, wrong thread.