C. Viper as a secondary

c-viper

So I’m a big zangief fan, but the poor guy has some really bad match-ups, especially sagat and seth.

I was looking at a tiering chart I found online and it said that C. Viper is 5-5 vs sagat and 7-3 vs seth.

What do all of you C. Vipers think of the Sagat/Seth match-up? Is C. Viper a good choice for a secondary if I want to main Zangief?

Thanks in advance!

c. viper is pretty tough to just “pick up as a secondary.” I’d just learn sagat, ryu or seth if your that concerned about the bad match-ups. Maybe even el fuerte if u dont wanna go top tier.

Don’t worry about those random tiering charts. Especially ones that list the console characters. They’re not accurate. Sagat vs. Viper is considered even or only slightly in Sagat’s favor but C.Viper definitely doesn’t beat Seth 7-3. At most 6-4 in my personal opionion but she’s easily the best character in the game for dealing with Seth that is certain.

Yeah the problem is in order to be able to use C.Viper as a secondary you’re going to have to spend more time using her than you probably did with Gief. That’s just to get her at a level where you won’t die to random scrubs online.

THIS!

imho, you don’t secondary Viper period, go big or go home because she demands a lot of practice

Viper- Seth is not 7-3. Imo Viper doesn’t have any advantage in that matchup. Those tier lists are bull shit. Maybe if you get as good as Deviljin you might have a slight advantage, but until then a good Seth will wipe the floor with your Viper.

I know tiering charts need to be taken with a grain of salt, for that reason i started this thread to verify the info with the community

I have no experience with C. Viper so I didn’t know she was so hard to pick up. I just wanted to use her as a secondary, but if it takes that much practice i’m thinking about just picking up ryu

Thank you everyone!

I actually like the Akuma vs Seth matchup more than Ryu, and he’s equally as good against Sagat. I would go that route if I were you.

hmm akuma, haven’t thought about that, he does look fun though

since this thread is no longer relavent to C. Viper ill take my questions elsewhere

I used to main Zangief, then I went to C. Viper as a secondary. She’s pretty much my main now. Rarely play as Zangief anymore.

I think the seth vs viper matchup is nearly even, if viper gets one or two mixups on seth the potential is ridiculous, he takes so much damage off her and she’s got so many ways to get in or zone.

That’s just my experience at least in G1, not sure where the good seths are…

p.s. thank you tc for the sig :wink:

i was the same way, i’ve been playing abel up till recently when i saw the god’s garden final with mago against uryo. i wasn’t really looking to switch becuz abel was low-tier but seeing uryo play viper was so awesome, so i decided to test whether or not i would be able to pick up viper.
the test was to learn to do FFF consistently within a day in training mode(i had previously tried to pick her up months ago but couldn’t pull it off on pad)
after hours of trying to find the right tempo/pace i managed to pull it off, im still really bad with her but c.mp tk feint, c.mk tk feint throw and other mix-ups are damn fun to use and FFF makes you feel like a king.
what i’m saying is maybe you should set a small goal like i did to see if you really want to and are capable of playing her.
PS. C.viper owns on stick compared to pad any given day, so if you don’t have one prepare to get cramps n blisters. good luck

listen to him, set small goals always with viper it helps alot and keeps you from getting bummed cuz you actually feel like your acomplishing something. when u land your first FFF in a match it feels awsome cuz you actually see all your hard work pay off, but after awhile FFF isnt even a big deal its just like landing a mp, mptk. FFF becomes so easy its ridiculous its to the point were im only impressed if i see some ex seismo,hjc fadc, ultra. or some other crazy shit. thats what i consider advanced now in a match cuz all her other stuff is to easy to do.

This! I mained Gief for a long time, then moved to Gouken and decided to toss in some Viper as my latest project. Oh good god has this been an exercise in patience. I’ve been playing her for about a month now and I still can’t bust the FFF consistently. I think I haven’t practiced enough. I don’t use the feints in matches (I’m still not good with them). Those two things (well, mainly the feints) hold me back from beating equally-skilled peoples. I think I have the spacing down…I can land her ultra off some crazy setups that she has. But man when you get in the zone with Viper, it’s just magic!