Can a fighting game ever simulate movie Kung Fu style?

I’ve been playing fighting games for a long time, casually though, not tournament level. One thing that I’ve always longed to see is a game company try to make a fighting game that feels like you’re playing one of those old kung fu movies. This means a lot of dodging and timed blocking and misses. I wonder if this is a system that could even be simulated within the constraints of a joystick and four to six buttons? Here is an example in Youtube : [media=youtube]-tfwB4RsydM[/media]

Highly unlikely, the reason Kung Fu movies look like that is due to the fact that they’re highly choreographed.

They tried with the Doa series. They still refuse to admit reversals should not be applicable while reeling from an attack. Thus, Doa sucks.

You reminded me of these:
[media=youtube]smHQiaDVBsg[/media]
[media=youtube]ya6MX-uSX2A[/media]

It’s a bit similar to a movie. Other than that, the DoA series is close, as pointed byRhio2k.

Funny then that, last I checked, even the (decent) DOA players were asking for less moves that resulted in critical stun (which you can hold out of, compared to hitstun, which you cannot hold out of)

I don’t think it’s that hard. Just have parries like SC but change the animation. Give 1 different type of strike (high punch for example) 4 different reversal animations.

It would still require choreography (i.e. faking the fight) for it to actually look like that.

Not really. I’m not talking about a quick reversal animation. I’m talking about a reversal animation consist of a 3 move exchange. Example

You throw high punch. I parry.

The animation has my character block, then punch, your character block, then punch, and my character block and finally connect with a punch. Have 4 different animation for H, M, L punches and kicks. Then have some characters have command reversals which have shorter more dramatic animations.

E.G.

I attack, you do command reversal. Your character does a jump kick that sends my character flying. Then the character says something like “Your Red Lotus Kung Fu is no match…for my Infraction Strike!” in the Cheesy British dub accent as my character is recovering.

If a person isn’t reading moves right, and missing reversals t’s not going to look all that pretty for them when those lose, but it will look like the winner is beasting them. You could add in an animation when a person’s life drops to 10% of them having a bit of blood come out of their mouth and them stumbling, to simulate, when guys get man handled in Kung Fu movies.

Also make a different button for swaying/dodging than reversing.

Even if I can’t properly describe it in words, it’s definitely possible. I thought about this a loooooong time ago(98). Sadly, though I’m decent at doing character design, 3-D models, and the concept behind an engine, I don’t have the programming skills to make anything happen.

Half the battle with a game like that would be Voice Actors, Proper Sounds Effects, and Good Costumes.

Your AV is awesome. 2033 Priscilla Asagiri for life. I hated the new one more than words can describe.

Tekken & DOA are both terrible.
Now the KOF maximum impact 3D fighting series is 10x better than T or DOA.

i was playing Tekken 2 nights ago and i realized how needlessly complicated that game is in regards to move sets.
like 126 moves for Xiaolu.
its like , jesus all you need is 50 moves at best…coz no one can memorize all of a character’s moves…or at least, use them in a practical manner during matches.
yeah i understand that Tekken is made that way for the reason that its full 3D and it really doesn’t have “classic” super moves, ie quarter circle/ Dragon punch moves to rely on,…so you have to play it in a sort of UFC type mentality…ok ok i get that, but still though.
but still though.
after a couple years of not playing Tekken i couldn’t remember how to do 95% of my mains moves. and its coz 50% of the move/command list is needless and can be thrown away.
plus, T6 is broken with its insane ground bouncing that causes an abuse of the juggling…and i told NBandai that on their forums when the game dropped. everyone complains about it.

now i’m not saying kof mi isn’t broken or has its problems…but i know mi2 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Tek or DoA.
imo.
or at least…moar fun.
classic qcf and dp joystick motions with some 3D combo moves thrown in. kof ultras and supers.

ahem.
plus…
i thoroughly enjoy fappin to Mai and B. Jenet’s 3D jiggly + scandalously dressed forms;-)

NOW, BACK ON TOPIC.
I DUNNO ABOUT A FIGHTING GAME THAT MIRRORS THE VISUAL LOOK OF A KUNG FU MOVIE…
BUT I DO KNOW OF A GAME THAT SUCCEEDED IN MIMICINGTHE LOOK OF A KUNG FU MOVIE.
AND THAT GAME’S NAME IS…

BUJINGAI

IT HAS THAT WELL TIMED DODGING BLOCKING AND “MISSES”…I’VE PLAYED IT TO COMPLETION AND THE GAME’S COMBAT ENGINE REALLY DOES HAVE THAT KUNG FU FEEL.

PLAY THAT IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THAT KUNG FU TYPE SENSATION.
BUT THE GAME IS A TAD BORING IN THAT MOST OF THE ENEMIES ARE BORING AND SCARCE IN THE LEVELS.
if the game had more interesting & challenging enemies…and there were more of them scattered throughout the levels…it would have made the game way better.
and memorable

ANOTHER GAME WORTH MENTIONING IS GENJI.
ITS SORTA LIKE A KUNG FU MOVIE TOO.

THANK YOU. APPRECIATE IT.
YOU SHALL RECEIVE A LIKE FROM ME:3

You really can’t go wrong with Martial Masters.
Some of these characters are obvious representations of iconic Kung Fu Characters
[media=youtube]eGaXlmYDiHw[/media]
Some of the references:
Scorpion
[media=youtube]JxZzZ0sod-w[/media]
[media=youtube]o_-E0WhkJcI[/media]
Ghost Kick
[media=youtube]ytBFqye5U4g[/media]
Huang
The entire Once upon a time series.

Wow, I think my local arcade actually has Martial Masters…that’s the game all right…they have a generic cab, the game is in Japanese and not even the employees knew what the hell the game is

Read the forum rules: you need to wait before opening new threads.